How much data does streaming use. (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Looking at mifi antennas for streaming Netflix etc. I assume people are doing this onto there van TV’s not iPads?
And if so do you know typically how much data it uses per hours viewing?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Looking at mifi antennas for streaming Netflix etc. I assume people are doing this onto there van TV’s not iPads?
Quite a bit abroad..Can use 90 gbs in a month.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Netflix offers 4 data usage settings and some data/WiFi only choices for mobile data usage.
The highest data load setting is where you’ll see resolution affected.
Details here

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you use a fire stick 4k, it will use 6-8GB per hour at 4k.
You need to reduce quality from “best” , which is 4K, to Better, which is HD at approx 1-2GB per hour, or Good, which is SD at 0.3GB per hour.
I can imagine my late father reading your post thinking “what the bleeding hell is he on about I don’t understand a chuffing word”I can hear him now.

I don’t understand much of it myself, how the world changes 😄

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
We use Vixi SIM as they have unlimited data streaming on all social media and netflix etc, so even with a low data package we can stream all day with no worries. Set phone as a hotspot and TV wifi connects to phone

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
gerry mcg has it about right. If you use Firestick, set the quality to the lowest and also go into Netflix settings as the Netflix Fire app has its own setting. You have to be prepared to accept a lower picture quality but on a small screen in a van its really not noticeable. How much you use depends very much on your TV watching. If you are one who switches it on in the morning and off at night then your use will be enormous, but a couple of hours in an evening and use BBC sounds app for radio in the day then we can keep inside 30-50Gb a month with some browsing, emailing, newspaper downloads etc.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you use standard definition about 1gb an hour. If we stream everything we can use 25-20gb in a week.
Depending on what data we have avaliable we often download loads of stuff before going away.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
TBH It mounts up quite quickly. I used 480G of data in Netgear router in a month whilst touring in the UK this summer. Streaming TV, movies, streaming Sky (‘special’ fire stick app 😇) and general browsing and Video Conferencing on iPads, MacBook and Alexa etc. All on an unlimited Three sim.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
With films you re better off downloading some onto a stick before you go or even buying some DVD's.

tbf it would currently be ridiculously expensive to use the TV as many do at home although I can see that changing. The writing is clearly on the wall for satelites and one of the mobile companies will surely respond to gain market share; A bit like Three was the goto for european coverage as little as 4 years ago.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Netflix offers 4 data usage settings and some data/WiFi only choices for mobile data usage.
The highest data load setting is where you’ll see resolution affected.
Details here
There’s usual two overlapping settings in an app or device.
On a device like a Firestick you can choose what resolution to send to a screen and in another setting choose the data usage.
On an app it’s typically just data usage as the screen is fixed b the tablet or smartphone.

The OP mentioned Netflix and that app’s data usage settings as pictures: -
E8D34B4B-AF7A-4181-BF23-2EDF20D41A76.png

81FC5616-A7B6-47EB-A0F4-1446B60CD119.png

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
simply put, using lots of data costs lots of money .... wherever you can, try to use 'old school' tv aerial and dish if you have one and only watch movies, netflix, you tube etc when 'needs must' - or alternatively, learn to live without constant tv - something i am trying to do when we are away in the motorhome .....

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
TBH It mounts up quite quickly. I used 480G of data in Netgear router in a month whilst touring in the UK this summer. Streaming TV, movies, streaming Sky (‘special’ fire stick app 😇) and general browsing and Video Conferencing on iPads, MacBook and Alexa etc. All on an unlimited Three sim.
Crikey, you must have been watching tv 24/7. 🤣

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
simply put, using lots of data costs lots of money .... wherever you can, try to use 'old school' tv aerial and dish if you have one and only watch movies, netflix, you tube etc when 'needs must' - or alternatively, learn to live without constant tv - something i am trying to do when we are away in the motorhome .....
Or get a satellite dish:whistle2::rofl::rofl:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
There’s usual two overlapping settings in an app or device.
On a device like a Firestick you can choose what resolution to send to a screen and in another setting choose the data usage.
On an app it’s typically just data usage as the screen is fixed b the tablet or smartphone.

The OP mentioned Netflix and that app’s data usage settings as pictures: -View attachment 543923

View attachment 543924
The automatic setting has always bothered me, I connect by WiFi through my router which is cellular. Can Netflix tell that it is restricted data or does it assume as its WiFi let it rip?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been away a week only used the TV on 3 nights only one of those was on the satellite as most of the time TV programs are rubbish.
Got a Superdrug unlimited sim in the Mifi, so far so good in France.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Or get a satellite dish:whistle2::rofl::rofl:
lol, ive got one ready to fit when i get round to it - but i have also enjoyed just sitting out and reading (thanks to Readly), chatting (a lost art ....) and watching the world go by ..

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Now then for those of you who haven't seen the aerial thread about these marvellous little aerials, here's ours in Benidorm, cable TV not working due to our faulty amp and this thing gets us 50 terrestrial channels 😍 August DTA240 :

20211003_113359.jpg

No data, no limits no dishes or mifi or faffing about with directions. Not even expensive at under £10 (yes ten).

Hurry, word has it there is a shortage :giggler:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The automatic setting has always bothered me, I connect by WiFi through my router which is cellular. Can Netflix tell that it is restricted data or does it assume as its WiFi let it rip?
If my setup and accidental data splurge is typical, then NO. Netflix will go full WiFi speed.
On my tablets and smartphone devices I set “low data mode” for the WiFi mode.
That helps. You may have a similar solution.

edit. But just setting “low data mode” needs the app to interact with the OS to force a “low data mode is set. Do you want to download xGB of data?” pop-up alert.
Maybe better to force Netflix to the manual setting that suits your package.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We use Vixi SIM as they have unlimited data streaming on all social media and netflix etc, so even with a low data package we can stream all day with no worries. Set phone as a hotspot and TV wifi connects to phone
Can it be used in Europe un Limited?BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back