How Many Sinks In Your Selfbuild? (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
What have you put in your self build in the way of sinks? Have you put a separate sink in the bathroom area or using the kitchen sink? Just trying to save space and not have 2 lots of pipes/drains etc.

Our problem is the hygiene side of things.

Even contemplated 1 sink, the kitchen one with 2 taps so you use one for kitchen stuff and 2 for bathroom stuff, seems a bit mad but and logic in it?

Not wanting to use wet wipes or the like.

Something to ponder over on a saturday morning when everyone else is running around like headless chickens sorting christmas stuff out.

Thanks

Shawn

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Do you not plan on having a shower ?

Many small vans have a wet-room with a toilet + shower with a small washbasin in the corner or a fold-down unit, using a combination shower mixer-tap for both shower and basin, so only one set of water pipes and drains to run..

Not having a washbasin in the toilet and using the kitchen sink you risk contaminating the kitchen area.. and not having a shower means using sites or going without.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When i was a kid,,long time ago we did everything at the kitchen sink..My dad shaved, i was sat on the draining board for washing,,my mum and dad washed at the sink,,still here so from a hygiene point of view seems ok.BUSBY.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I asked the same question a few yrs back ---a lot said they would want a sink in shower room ---some said they would not buy a van without one, so I fitted the extra sink :xwink: Did not bother me either way but if it stops someone from buying come sale time ??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When i was a kid,,long time ago we did everything at the kitchen sink..My dad shaved, i was sat on the draining board for washing,,my mum and dad washed at the sink,,still here so from a hygiene point of view seems ok.BUSBY.

likewise.. also used a tin bath in front of the fire, and we had an outside dunnny with a candle, no toilet paper, just a newspaper for wiping.

that is different from using the kitchen sink to wash hands after using the toilet..

anyway.. whatever the OP decides.. the risks are well documented.

The fecal–oral route (also called the oral–fecal route or orofecal route) describes a particular route of transmission of a disease where pathogens in fecal particles pass from one person to the mouth of another person. Main causes of fecal–oral disease transmission include lack of adequate sanitation, and poor hygiene practices. If soil or water bodies are polluted with fecal material, humans can be infected with waterborne diseases or soil-transmitted diseases. Fecal contamination of food is another form of fecal-oral transmission. Washing hands properly after changing a baby’s diaper or going to the bathroom can prevent foodborne illness from spreading.

Darcar

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario
Exp
Since 1975
We fitted a small corner basin in the bathroom. Doesn’t really take any room and it uses the same tap that pulls up into the shower head.
Darcar

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a tiny self build camper. sink in kitchen and shower cubicle. Sink in shower cubicle is a drop down above the toilet.
I wouldn't like to just have a single sink.

Deleted User
We've had a single sink in our caravans and campers for the last 18 years. It hasn't killed us yet but then we use alcohol based hand sanitiser (like they use in hospitals) when we're in the van, if required ;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we have two in our self build but only because the donar caravan had them, but to be honest have never used the bathroom one , just the shower.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
in our Bongo (semi self build?) we had one sink and a 3 burner along the length,toilet opposite cooker, 3rd variant a 9222 smev along the width at the back sink accessable internally and externally. internally typically on the move we used a fold up toilet and disposa johns (including sanitary wipes). On site normally min facility we had toilet tent from a pop up tied to rear door for shower to a Kampa toilet tent (trailered or on rear rack) shower and toilet popaloo so running water as well.
Dont waste space if a better method available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=disposa+john&_sacat=0

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We fitted a small corner basin in the bathroom. Doesn’t really take any room and it uses the same tap that pulls up into the shower head.
Darcar
That's is all that is in our coach built as standard. We tend to use it for washing up as when you are using the hob then there is no flat space for anything if you have the sink top up.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Where do you have a wash and do your teeth on a morning without a bathroom sink, you would both have to use the kitchen sink.

One of the nice things about this little van we have is the bathroom sink is enormous and you can have a proper wash without water going everywhere. It also made out of some sort of granite type material same as the worktop and kitchen sink, it seems totally indestructible and it's really thick.

The quality of it is incredible, in the event of a massive crash or explosion all that would survive when looking at the wreckage is the worktop, sinks and my head, that's really thick too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back