how long to register a new motor home ? (2 Viewers)

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
can anyone, who has had a dealer register a new van, help ,,its been about a week since they agreed to register it, with out the 10%, they asked for ,,i contacted them last week ,and there saying ,they sent the registration off ,and there just waiting on it coming back ,,how long should this take ? i have no experience of this ,,so just would like an opinion for more experienced motor home buyers ,,,thanks

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Almost 2 months me waiting for the reg.
Have they give you a choice of reg numbers ?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
In my opinion this sounds a bit odd. Our van was registered by the dealer with the DVLA on the day we picked it up. It took the time it took us to have a coffee. We did have a private plate on retention which may have speeded things up. Mind you, it is a pity that they did not carry on and register the vehicle with Mercedes-Benz. That saga is covered on another thread on here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Doesn’t sound right to me. I bought a new motorcycle on the 4th March, they registered it, on line whilst I was sat with them paying the balance and the V5C arrived at my house three days later.
Why do they need to send anything off?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
My dealer registered mine online and it was done immediately! My friends dealer had not purchased this software so his was done by post in 2021 when DVLA was taking forever, working from home, I think it took 8 weeks!!!and if voyrse he couldn’t take it away.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
If they are a large dealer they should be able to register online. If not then it should not be too long especially if it is a UK produced conversion. We have had both new UK produced vans and vans manufactured on the continent and in all instances registration was always on time. I would have thought that provided the paperwork is all in order that it should be a reasonably quick process. Contrary to popular beliefs the DVLA are efficient with registrations provided everything is correct.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
In my opinion this sounds a bit odd. Our van was registered by the dealer with the DVLA on the day we picked it up. It took the time it took us to have a coffee.
Same here. We were given the Registration number when the van arrived at the dealership. We picked ours up last Wednesday and were given a registration confirmation at the time. The V5 arrived in the post this morning (Tuesday) and we've had a bank holiday weekend in between.

Upvote 0

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Our dealer had the software and registered our new van online. We received the V5 within three days.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Ours took about five weeks. Eventually the dealer sent me photos of the postage details to DVLA showing receipt.
We did have our reg no and in fact drove it despite the V5 not coming through and it not showing on DVLA car tax check. Insured so we thought it ok to drive.

IIRC there can be a delay depending on where the base vehicle is made.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our new van is coming from a reasonable size dealer they still do it post.
I know it's technically illegal to drive it if the van is not register on DVLA system but its not going to stop me driving it. It's won't be my fault that the dumbwits at DVLA can't do their job.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Because they aren't registered to do online & that is also the reason you can't choose a registration number. They do it all by post.
Our dealer registered it by post but they did have some reg numbers allocated to them in advance.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A bit of digging will find a long thread last year about a new motorhome that was eventually declined as the dealer failed to register it after 3 months.

Within the thread you will find a summary of the way vehicles are registered with the DVLA

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
What brand have you bought? Some can be registered there and then through the RAV system. Some are paper applications.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Mrs mikebeaches was treated to a new car which she collected two weeks ago. It was registered there and then online while we were drinking coffee at the dealership.

It seems to make a huge difference with DVLA - doing stuff online versus doing it by post, the latter being awful.

I actually think their online systems and service usually aren't too bad. :unsure:

The dealer made a tiny error when he input our address, which was discovered when the V5C turned up. We soon got it corrected online. Then we changed the registration to a personal number plate purchased from DVLA, and again everything worked like clockwork, as it should. :giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
In my opinion this sounds a bit odd. Our van was registered by the dealer with the DVLA on the day we picked it up. It took the time it took us to have a coffee. We did have a private plate on retention which may have speeded things up. Mind you, it is a pity that they did not carry on and register the vehicle with Mercedes-Benz. That saga is covered on another thread on here.
i have my reg on retention how does that speed it up ,,

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
The Wildax factory register all their conversions online on behalf of their dealers. Seems a decent way to share the costs, rather than every dealer needing online access. As a result, pretty much every Wildax has a yorkshire registration.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I picked my new Malibu Van up yesterday. I was told 3 weeks is the norm for postal registrations but it came up on the DVLA website after 2 weeks, the V5C came in the post a couple of days later. There was a thread a couple of years ago where one Funster got pulled up by the Police and sent home because the van was not registered. The dealer had said there was a period of grace but the DVLA said no, the concession had ceased many years ago.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed Motorhome
Exp
Since 1985
Our Pilote took about 10 days. We then had to send the V5 back because our surname was spelt wrong. That took about a further 2 weeks. We then found an error in the VIN number as a V has been written as a Y. We have been waiting 5 weeks for that to be sorted. We were hoping to go to Europe but decided to stay in the UK until it is sorted

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Doesn’t sound right to me. I bought a new motorcycle on the 4th March, they registered it, on line whilst I was sat with them paying the balance and the V5C arrived at my house three days later.
Why do they need to send anything off?

Not all dealers register them online for some reason. I'm not sure why, does it cost to do it online, specific software needed, dealers just old fashioned?

My bike took a few minutes to register. My motorhome 2 months because they did it by snail mail and made a mistake too. I drove it around for 2 months blissfully unaware!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back