How Important is your Satellite TV? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Don't see a problem he probably wanted to watch the football or some other sport. Just because we are away from home doesn't mean to say we have to become tree huggers. I still watch my team when they are on Sky when we are away. Last i heard you can't get Sky sports through a normal aerial. Each to their own it takes all sorts.
Love your doggy ( border terrier . Like ours ? ) don't feel the same about footy, fortunately neither does Ralph. That's why I married him . Haha.
IMG_1856.PNG

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Having had a RoadPro dome system on my last vans, at my wife's insistence, I suffered incessant Sponge Bob SquarePants when my step daughters were younger, followed by American teen dross upon dross, followed by XFactor and that 'no likey, no lighty' drivel, perhaps with a smattering of baking and cooking shows, so having gone solo, satellite tv is totally irrelevant :LOL:

I do have a TV in the van and like to watch the BBC news and weather while having brekkie. I also enjoy watching a film on DVD every other evening (y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The sea is coming in and will be high tide at 10 pm . It's pitch black outside, shame there's no Northern light activity. Ralph'll go out and see if he can get a pic later.

There is an aurora expected tonight, but as you know a lot depends on cloud cover. Must say your at a stunning spot, enjoy.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sharp = TV , no TV = no Motorhome

Love her really...:love:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Trees and satellite signals don't mix
But just using your ordinary tv you won't get it down france or Spain will you??
And:::: with this bad weather there recently then yes it's worth a lot
Is it the green eyed monster maybeJust saying

If you point at the right satellite you will :) Just returned after 6 months in Spain without an issue full main 5 channels at every stop.

Oops sorry just noticed you were referring to terrestrial TV and not satellite

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
One of the joys of motor homing for me is not having a TV, I am very selective with what I watch at home and rarely watch live TV unless its a BBC program, I cannot abide the commercial channels because of the adverts so everything is recorded. When were are away we read quite a bit, watch the occasional video on the laptop, plan the next stage in out trip and what we want to see/ visit or look out of the window at the scenery, sometimes we even talk to each other, but we will never have a TV in our motorhome.
We rarely watch live TV to avoid the adverts. The Sky+ box allows us to "squiggle" through the adverts. Even if we want to watch something as it is broadcast, we tend to start it 15 min late so we can squiggle. Also "catch up" does not does not always have adverts on channels that normally do

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We've been travelling in the van for years and happily relaxed without a TV, prefer our own company and the landscape we came to see rather than fixated on the box.
Often amused to watch some campers driven to despair as they manoeuvre around a site desperately seeking that life saving tv signal.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Each to their own really . Our MH use is all year round . Lighter nights time of year tv is hardly if ever on , as we tend to be out and about . Autumn and winter nights is regular use of tv and dvd . Latest new to us van came with satellite dish already fitted and we have tried it out , mainly to ensure it actually works , ready for the coming winter months . We treat having access to tv and now satellite tv viewing as basically another little bonus in the life of Motorhoming use.

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If you point at the right satellite you will :) Just returned after 6 months in Spain without an issue full main 5 channels at every stop.

Oops sorry just noticed you were referring to terrestrial TV and not satellite

We like the tv and have just bought an icecrypt receiver with an 85c dish that he puts on a tripod outside. How can we get the channels in Spain, we're off next month so would he interested in how the u got them. What do you mean by the ' satellite? Please.

@stewartwebr.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As they say, each to their own, we don't have a tv in the van although we have talked about it, but there is little enough good enough to watch at home, there seems no point having the same choice in the van.
We always have a laugh when we see the "dance of the satellite dishes" going on and we find it difficult to understand why a van would turn up next to the beach, draw the blinds and get the satellite dish spinning.
There's so much to see outside, summer and winter without having to stay indoors watching tv.
It helps to have a dog too who wants to go out as soon as the handbrake is on.

IMG_0546.JPG

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Our TV is very important, to Management particularly. If she is in a lot of pain at night then watching the TV, with wireless headphones, gives her some relief and passes the time. Using our Oyster and another Sky HD box in the motorhome, it's easy to pair up the card, and watch the same as what we get at home.

Parked up at Chickenrun in Portugal. Notice how far the dish is leaning back, to see the satellite. It had a really good spin before locking on. :)

P1030437.JPG

Last edited:

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We like the tv and have just bought an icecrypt receiver with an 85c dish that he puts on a tripod outside. How can we get the channels in Spain, we're off next month so would he interested in how the u got them. What do you mean by the ' satellite? Please.

@stewartwebr.

You have all the right equipment for satellite reception. However, you will need to connect your icecrypt box to the website via a cable to download the encryption codes (BIS Codes) Obviously, you have no chance of BBC etc. in Spain via Astra 2 satellite. You will however using your icecrypt box with the decoding BISS codes via Intelsat 107. However, how old is your Oyster? If it is not an Oyster 3 or above you need to manually find Intelsat 107 which is very simple if you ask the Oyster to find Hispersat its only 2 clicks to the left and perhaps one click up to get it. Oyster 3 and above have an automatic search for Intelsat 107.

If you need any other information drop me a PM. I'm no expert but happy to help if I can from experience.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We do have a TV in the van. It been on once. When I fitted it. I have no idea why I bought it really. Even at home we rarely watch TV. I don't like soaps, quizzes, reality TV, X factor dancing on ice type rubbish or that Kyle fellow. If we watch at home it tends to be something that we need to think about or wildlife programs.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My van has an Oyster self-seeking dish fitted, previous owner when I was looking round the van made a big song & dance about how he's just spent £700 on a new box for it and how it was great for Sky Sports, he looked a bit deflated when I told him I hadn't even got Sky at home!

I think we've used it twice in 3 years, to watch free channels for about an hour each time. I certainly wouldn't have bothered with it if it wasn't already fitted to the van. But, each to their own, if it was just me & Mrs F then maybe we would use it, who knows. The telly has been useful a few times to play a DVD for the kids on a wet day or a long drive.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That said I can't get sod all on. My Tv with the digital ariel.... Either something ain't working or it's taking the pash

Even pointing the ariel the same as the van parked next to me zero channels grrrrrr

Only wanted the news

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
I have an earphone with my Aldi £49 kit!I do cheat a bit ,I look at which direction everyone is pointed at and copy then fine tune with my earphone.Never fails!!

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
That said I can't get sod all on. My Tv with the digital ariel.... Either something ain't working or it's taking the pash

Even pointing the ariel the same as the van parked next to me zero channels grrrrrr

Only wanted the news

Sorry, was that you next to me ?
I like to turn up,point the aerial in any direction and pretend I've got a signal so that people copy me !!

We considered a sat dish but the fact that I watch very little tv and all her programs record on Sky Q for when we get back means although we have it with us it very rarely gets switched on. For us, getting away means a break from the norm and we normally sit chatting or reading when we are not being dragged everywhere by the muttleys.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
With me its 20% wanting to watch it and 80% if it's fitted I want the fecker to work

Once I get it working I probably won't watch it

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Doh..... I really shouldn't be allowed out unattended.... Just figured out how my Tv wasn't working...
Didn't have it on dvb

Now I've 53 channels

Still nothing on though I'm enjoying Chris Evans on radio 2 instead

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I like it at home but dont need it in the van. There isnt much you cant get on your laptop tethered to a phone with a good data contract when you need TV.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Don't have a TV in the van so not important! ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back