How Important is your Satellite TV? (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We have been given great entertainment over the last 24 hours by a Motorhome that arrived yesterday evening (pitched partly under a tree). Almost as soon as he was parked, the satellite dish went up and started searching for a signal, this continued for at least 20 mins before he gave up :) This morning we looked out and the dish was turning again for a similar time before giving up :D We came back this evening to find it spinning again:giggler: although it has now stopped (hopefully with a signal) :clap:.
This was all very amusing as we have a good ordinary tv signal with no problems.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Probably needs new co ordinates entering into the dish box.

I had to do ours when it wouldn't lock onto the satellite but it didn't bother me I couldn't watch tv just I couldn't fix it by myself.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
It's not ,Unless there is something Shirley is watching in the house .I can slink off onto the drive and watch some sport in peace in the van lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
I have a ÂŁ49 satellite kit I bought from Aldi some time ago works a treat.If I am under trees I just put the dish were it has a clear view of the sky.Got about 30 yards of cable so no problem. But use it mainly when we are in FRANCE.at Gravellines a few weeks ago and wanted to watch the Grand Prix so out came the dish and stand..What do I want an expensive automatic bit if kit for!!!

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Trees and satellite signals don't mix
But just using your ordinary tv you won't get it down france or Spain will you??
And:::: with this bad weather there recently then yes it's worth a lot
Is it the green eyed monster maybeJust saying

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
IMG_1935.JPG
Very.
I love some tv. Great way to relax.
We're in the middle of no where up on the Isle of Mull. We've been out all day walking and touring. Now we are crashed out back in Pug.
We've had haggis neeps and tatties for tea , and a nice whisky .
Now I'm watching my soaps before that new series Liar !
IMG_1936.JPG

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have a ÂŁ49 satellite kit I bought from Aldi some time ago works a treat.If I am under trees I just put the dish were it has a clear view of the sky.Got about 30 yards of cable so no problem. But use it mainly when we are in FRANCE.at Gravellines a few weeks ago and wanted to watch the Grand Prix so out came the dish and stand..What do I want an expensive automatic bit if kit for!!!
I've got one of those keep meaning to try it was it easy to get working? did you buy any extras.....signal meter etc

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Brilliant pics , like what you would find in magazines :sun:

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Oh no!!! It's started going round again :roflmto::roflmto:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralphs just been out between showers and taken these .
Can you believe ÂŁ2 per person per night ? Bargain or what ?
Wish there was some Northern light activity tonight but sadly , No.
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't have satellite, I've just a normal digital ariel.... I'm having my first night away with the van I'm parked up outside Perth ( Bankfoot) I tried to get a signal and failed so instead I'm relaxing with some Ed sheeran and browsing fun.
Might stick a dvd on before bed

Living with my mum the last few weeks I've been Weened off Tv as she watched the awfiest crap.... There's a few programs I'd like to keep up with though so I may have to invest in a portable dish

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I must admit to having my tv on a lot,,

I like the background noise and to be honest, it's a substitute for company! Plus I love films!

I probably spend more time than I should ( when I'm not working) in front of it, but it passes the time!!
Xx

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
One of the joys of motor homing for me is not having a TV, I am very selective with what I watch at home and rarely watch live TV unless its a BBC program, I cannot abide the commercial channels because of the adverts so everything is recorded. When were are away we read quite a bit, watch the occasional video on the laptop, plan the next stage in out trip and what we want to see/ visit or look out of the window at the scenery, sometimes we even talk to each other, but we will never have a TV in our motorhome.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There was a satellite dish on the van when we bought it and we have made use of it - that is until the Astra satellite signal was reduced - mostly for Radio 2, we don't watch much TV. Of late have had a couple of technical issues, the final recommendation was to replace it as it was "getting tired" (?). If it packs up again it's coming off and I'll get some payload back, plus less windage.

Nowadays if we watch TV programmes at all it is downloaded old series programmes through the laptop which just plugs into the TV. Also just invested in a new all-singing all-dancing DAB radio that we can play our extensive music collection through.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I think we're all different. We love each other's company , when we're away it's 24/7 . But after a long day out sight seeing and walking it's great . Plus whilst he's researching our trips , planning where to eat out, things to do and see. I like to watch my fave programs.
We don't play cards , or do crosswords etc. We might read the odd book / magazine but nothing heavy, then again were only in our early 50's.
Tea , A bit of rumpy pumpy , a few drinks , then watching tv suits us.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Didn't say I don't have a TV, just don't have satellite.
I don't watch much so no matter if I can't get a signal, and anyway, trying to tune it is quite entertaining in itself :LOL:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think solo travelling requires different things to travelling in a couple...... I've got bored talking to myself tonight.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Removed the satellite dish from ours and fitted a solar panel instead (no room for both). Haven't had a TV for about 15 years.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Lovely photos and looks a nice spot
It is , the Isle of Mull . Uisken camping . ÂŁ2 per person per night ! Wow.

We're making a packed lunch up and going out exploring , further afield tomorrow. There's nothing around.
I think we shall have another night here. It's beautiful.
We've got wifi off the btfon as we've no phone signal . The sea is coming in and will be high tide at 10 pm . It's pitch black outside, shame there's no Northern light activity. Ralph'll go out and see if he can get a pic later.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It is , the Isle of Mull . Uisken camping . ÂŁ2 per person per night ! Wow.

We're making a packed lunch up and going out exploring , further afield tomorrow. There's nothing around.
I think we shall have another night here. It's beautiful.
We've got wifi off the btfon as we've no phone signal . The sea is coming in and will be high tide at 10 pm . It's pitch black outside, shame there's no Northern light activity. Ralph'll go out and see if he can get a pic later.
I loved mull it's a great wee island I found some lovely spots last October.
Can't get better than ÂŁ2 a night really can you.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No sat dish - our MH is tall enough at over 3m without adding any more height! We've just got a status aerial. If we want to watch TV we'll switch it on but don't use it much.

Have been recording quite a bit on our Humax box to take with us on our 3 month trip but probably won't watch much of it as we prefer to play cards, read out kindles etc.

Denise

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Whilst we occasionally watch DVD's on a laptop, the Idea of watching the crap that passes as 'entertainment' when away in the moho fills me with dread.. Much prefer to read or just do nothing.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fine if you don't mind and can understand French, German, Italian, Spanish TV etc.:D
far better not to understand than to have to purchase ew ones every time you throw a brick at it. I haven't got satellite or peasants tv & never watched it when in the Uk. Nothing worse than watching on the tv what you had to put up with on a daily basis.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Don't see a problem he probably wanted to watch the football or some other sport. Just because we are away from home doesn't mean to say we have to become tree huggers. I still watch my team when they are on Sky when we are away. Last i heard you can't get Sky sports through a normal aerial. Each to their own it takes all sorts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back