How do I maintain the battery for the motor movers? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 9, 2022
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G732
Exp
Total Newbie
So, we picked up our new to us trailer yesterday, which has dual motor movers and a chequer plate box with battery and associated electronics. I've currently put my Ctek mxs 5 on it to charger the battery but can I use a small solar panel to keep it topped up? If I can, does it need to have some sort of mppt or could just use crocodile clips straight to the terminals?

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Why not use the towbar wiring to charge it while you are travelling? Use pin 9 on a 13 pin set up. If you're not sure about electrics go to a tow bar installer.
We've done that and it works whilst towing but our issue came when it was parked up for long periods of time. I went through 3 lead acid batteries since I brought it which was approx 6 years ago now. Recently swapped the lead acid for a lithium as I had 2 x 100ah spare after changing the motorhome one for a 460ah lithium. This has been very good although only been 6 months so still early days. Don't have to worry about it now when not using it for long periods

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Small solar panels (up to about 20W) can be clipped to a 100Ah battery directly, without a controller. They are quite popular in the windscreen of cars parked on the street to keep the starter battery topped up if parked for long periods. Anything bigger needs a controller to avoid overcharging. The problem is then that the controller takes a finite amount of power itself, so probably at least a 50W panel is required if using a controller.

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2022
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G732
Exp
Total Newbie
Small solar panels (up to about 20W) can be clipped to a 100Ah battery directly, without a controller. They are quite popular in the windscreen of cars parked on the street to keep the starter battery topped up if parked for long periods. Anything bigger needs a controller to avoid overcharging. The problem is then that the controller takes a finite amount of power itself, so probably at least a 50W panel is required if using a controller.
I think I just need something to keep it topped up when not being used. We’ve got a few smallish weekends away and then France again in August/September, which is why we’ve bought the trailer.
Thank you, great info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2019
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
8 years
I wouldn't personally add any solar panel without a solar regulator but do agree a 50W panel with regulator is worth the extra money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back