How Do I Drain The Water Heater, Please? (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone :giggle: I know I need to drain the water heater (13L), as the nights are getting cold here now, but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone help me, please? I'll be honest, I don't even know where the boiler is!! :blusher: Thank you for any help you can give me :)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
It needs more info really, i.e. what type of system do you have for heating the water, make etc. Look in your manual it will tell you šŸ˜œ

If it is a basic hot water water only boiler run on gas and or electric it is probably a Truma and likely located under a seat. Looks like a small barrel with pipes in and out and some boxing.

If you find it and it looks like that then you will probably find a valve with a yellow handle fitted in the middle of a pipe, the handle pivots vertically from left or right, the vertical is open and then drains the boiler through a pipe through the floor & you can see water running out. You need to have the water pump off and open a tap on hot/cold mid mix to let the air in

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
As well as the boiler you need to empty the main water tank. Usually has a drain plug or valve. Then open the taps in central position to empty the pipes.

Look for the boiler and water tank. The empty valves will be obvious.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi royandsharont :) Thank you for your reply. The manual is all in French and I don't speak French :rolleyes: I'll pop out tomorrow and see if I can locate the boiler. I know it's not under a seat anywhere, so I need to have a look around. I can't think where it might be....unless it's hidden in the garage somewhere. I don't know what make it is.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi David and Sally :) Thank you for your reply and for your help. I know where the main water tank is but I've never seen the water heater. I'll have another look around tomorrow and try to locate it. Thank you again :)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Hi royandsharont :) Thank you for your reply. The manual is all in French and I don't speak French :rolleyes: I'll pop out tomorrow and see if I can locate the boiler. I know it's not under a seat anywhere, so I need to have a look around. I can't think where it might be....unless it's hidden in the garage somewhere. I don't know what make it is.
Does the manual not have pictures? Also, can you locate an English manual for your van on the internet?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
You'll be looking for one or other of these

359B5600-2B06-4402-8238-7F06C7679866.jpeg36A346B3-CCC4-483B-BD47-88F6422639C0.jpeg

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Our boiler is behind the gas fire under a wardrobe and two drawers ... access involves removing the two drawers, and a panel on the wardrobe bottom, then you're looking for the sort of valve pictured above.

Yours may well be different, but bear in mind just how well hidden it might be.

Give us the make and model, if I can find a French or English manual I'll update you.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Taken from PaulC70 post above ...

7. TRUMA WATER HEATER​

The Truma water heater is normally located under the clothes wardrobe.

Its capacity is 10 litres and is controlled by a thermostat located near the control panel.

Picture to be added

Turning on:

To turn it on, it must be full of water (to check, turn on a hot water tap).

1. Open the corresponding gas valves.

2. Press the knob B and choose the required temperature (50 or70). The ignition is automatic.

If the red warning light A comes on there Is a problem. Turn the switch B to position ! and repeat the procedure.

Turning off.

1. Turn the knob B to the off position (!)

2. Close the gas valves.

The water heater has a valve to empty it. This valve is located in the lower part of the water heater (see manufacturerā€™s handbook). There is a protection fuse on the control panel on one of the sides (see section on the electrical installation

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Our boiler is behind the gas fire under a wardrobe and two drawers ... access involves removing the two drawers, and a panel on the wardrobe bottom, then you're looking for the sort of valve pictured above.

Yours may well be different, but bear in mind just how well hidden it might be.

Give us the make and model, if I can find a French or English manual I'll update you.

Thank you so much for this. I'll go on a hunt tomorrow!! We have a Benimar Europe 740.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Taken from PaulC70 post above ...

7. TRUMA WATER HEATER​

The Truma water heater is normally located under the clothes wardrobe.

Its capacity is 10 litres and is controlled by a thermostat located near the control panel.

Picture to be added

Turning on:

To turn it on, it must be full of water (to check, turn on a hot water tap).

1. Open the corresponding gas valves.

2. Press the knob B and choose the required temperature (50 or70). The ignition is automatic.

If the red warning light A comes on there Is a problem. Turn the switch B to position ! and repeat the procedure.

Turning off.

1. Turn the knob B to the off position (!)

2. Close the gas valves.

The water heater has a valve to empty it. This valve is located in the lower part of the water heater (see manufacturerā€™s handbook). There is a protection fuse on the control panel on one of the sides (see section on the electrical installation

Thanks but mine is not under the wardrobe, it's 13 litres and the thermostat is nowhere near the control panel, so this must be for a completely different model....probably a UK spec. Mine's French. But thanks anyway.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Thank you so much for this. I'll go on a hunt tomorrow!! We have a Benimar Europe 740.
Hi. Sorry, just got back from France. (If you're anywhere near 85220 that would be annoying šŸ™„) The only manual I've found on line is the one above.

If you could scan or photograph yours (the section called 'chauffage d'eau' or similar) I'll have a read of it.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi. Sorry, just got back from France. (If you're anywhere near 85220 that would be annoying šŸ™„) The only manual I've found on line is the one above.

If you could scan or photograph yours (the section called 'chauffage d'eau' or similar) I'll have a read of it.

Hi Trevor. This is so very kind of you, thank you! However, being unable to find anything that looks like the heater, I emailed the previous owner (who, btw, is a very lovely person) and he sent me a reply saying it's all done automatically!! :cool: šŸ‘ :giggle: I'm going to post his reply in a new thread, in case anyone needs the answer in the future. Thank you again :)

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Hi Trevor. This is so very kind of you, thank you! However, being unable to find anything that looks like the heater, I emailed the previous owner (who, btw, is a very lovely person) and he sent me a reply saying it's all done automatically!! :cool: šŸ‘ :giggle: I'm going to post his reply in a new thread, in case anyone needs the answer in the future. Thank you again :)

OK, no problem.

..... at the risk of being 'over-helpful' I'm intrigued by the notion of a fully automatic frost protection system. Happy to be wrong, but have a quick look at this video in case you see something you recognise.

• Informative
Reactions: HKF

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You'll be looking for one or other of these

View attachment 559274View attachment 559275
Be aware that by no means all look like either of these. An awful lot are just a red button which drops down to empty the boiler when temperatures drop to near freezing. To reset these red ones just lift the button and it should stay up. If it doesnā€™t then itā€™s still too cold. Some have been known to force it to stay up by using a clothes peg until it stay up on its own once the temperature has risen enough.
The red button type will automatically release boiler contents to prevent frost damage to the boiler. I donā€™t know about the ones pictured.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
OK, no problem.

..... at the risk of being 'over-helpful' I'm intrigued by the notion of a fully automatic frost protection system. Happy to be wrong, but have a quick look at this video in case you see something you recognise.

Hi Trevor. Thank you so much for this. Very informative :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back