Hope they're paying for the deeds to be changed too (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Stop. Stop. Stop all this woke crap please!!!!
It won’t be long before you won’t be allowed to say Woke or Crap or in fact any freedom of speech aren’t we being herded toward what we do,think,and say along with a control on where we actually are located and travel to. We are being observed constantly and analized on everything we do.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
They say we have freedom of speech now, but the truth is we should all be able to talk like little kids do, and say things like why is that person is brown, black, yellow, fat, skinny or anything else. Those who want to do away with racism are only increasing it by including more and more of reality as insults, or bad history. The less these words are used the more insulting they become.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Well,

The Black Boy Inn, at Caernarfon​

Their going to need a bigger sign board for the now P.C. terminoligy of " The Indeterminate Colour , Boy/Girl/Other Inn " 🤷‍♂️
Mike.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
They say we have freedom of speech now, but the truth is we should all be able to talk like little kids do, and say things like why is that person is brown, black, yellow, fat, skinny or anything else. Those who want to do away with racism are only increasing it by including more and more of reality as insults, or bad history. The less these words are used the more insulting they become.
Absolutely, and furthermore in my own life on a day by day basis l do not come across any of this nonsence and ,therefore, do not have to make any allowances for my behaviour or what l say or how l say it, it’s simply pushed onto us by the media and a minority of self indulgent idiots.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I thought l would add to the tread since it wandered off a bit.
l used to visit a on business a superb street in Hull “ The Land of Green Ginger” it was relevent to the Spice Trade that went on in those distant years.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
635623_3ebfa3bc.jpg

Land of Green Ginger

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst I like the Haribo ads no way am I gonna start talking like them! 😄

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!

Must be the Simpsons or emojis these kids are talking about as I have never heard a child describe a person as yellow.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

Stanley became famous after finding missionary Dr David Livingstone in Tanzania in 1871.

But his reputation has been 'tarnished' by 'claims' of violence on explorations, and his role in the Congo.

He acted as an agent for King Leopold II of Belgium, and was seen as one of the architects who opened up the African region to the West, only for it to be brutally exploited after he had left.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
As a lad and living in the Black Country I lived at Whiteheath, next town along is Blackheath, in between was Bell End and Rood End. As far as I'm aware still the same names and hopefully will remain as such.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
As a lad and living in the Black Country I lived at Whiteheath, next town along is Blackheath, in between was Bell End and Rood End. As far as I'm aware still the same names and hopefully will remain as such.
Rood End Road, Tat Bonk, Powke Lane Crem - never heard of it ! - my auntie lived in Defford Drive, off Moat Road. LOL

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
There's a hotel/restaurant near us that used to be called Crouchers Bottom, that always made me chuckle when we went past. They have now change it to just 'Crouchers' which doesn't have the same ring.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Many large towns had a road called "Gropec*nt Lane"
Which is where the local 'working girls' operated.
In early Victorian times they were mostly renamed to "Love Lane" or "Grape Lane"
Hence many towns have a Love/Grape Lane, usually a small lane fairly close to the centre of town.

Being 'woke' in not new, it's just the context change over time.
There is nothing wrong in correcting offensive names, names of all places change with time, there are very few places in the UK that still have their Roman names, or even their Anglo Saxon names which are only 1,000 years old.

Even looking at a London AtoZ of the 1930's shows many roads and areas that have changed names since.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Many large towns had a road called "Gropec*nt Lane"
Which is where the local 'working girls' operated.
In early Victorian times they were mostly renamed to "Love Lane"

"Grapecut Lane" is another common one.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Much of the private wealth in UK came from slave trading, plantations etc and slavery is abhorrent, so the push to rename streets and monuments et al is understandable. However, if you remove the statue or replace the street name, you can 'airbrush history' and remove the reminders, leaving scope for the Deniers to claim that the abhorrent practices ever occurred

Steve

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Better start panic buying Mr Brain's Faggots as they are destined to be doomed! I would certainly suggest that there is a faction of our society that tries their damnedest to find offence where it does not exist or the link is so tenuous as to be unreasonable. Racism has no place in society but trying to re-align history with modern cultural norms is hardly useful. Many would argue that Auschwitz is offensive; but it is crucially important that the lessons of history are not hidden under a blanket of contemporary self-righteousness.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
On my coast to coast ride a few weeks ago I visited this place ;)
4ILgP1yhQOKK2zx0o5bplA.jpg

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Richard Whiteley was the Honorary mayor of Wetwang. The current holder of the title is Paul Hudson the weatherman on BBC North.
John Ketley is a weatherman; and so is Michael Fish ... :giggle:

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back