Hope they're paying for the deeds to be changed too (1 Viewer)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Would usually agree, but if the lane was originally just dark lane what's wrong with going back to it?

Yeah, if I lived there, I'd prefer the original name. "Darkie" is extremely offensive. However, if the name was more scatalogical than racially offensive, I'd be up in arms at having it changed. If I'd managed to find a house on "Bell End", "Crotch Crescent", "Cock's Entry" or "Slag Lane" (all genuine street names), they can keep their mitts off it!

Mar 10, 2019
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
I have walked Darkie Lane many a time while staying at Ulwell, at no time did I feel insulted, far from it made me smile. my son did say very apt for me to find an oddly named road, but really sad that someone actually bothers to write a letter of complaint to the council. I hope Swanage do not bow to it and give in

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Presumably they knew the address when they booked it, or at least very soon after. Why did they not cancel the booking if they were so offended? On the other hand, the locals' complaints don't ring true. If it was originally called "Dark Lane", how did it get to "Darkie" as a reference to the lane being dark? Don't get it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Yeah, if I lived there, I'd prefer the original name. "Darkie" is extremely offensive. However, if the name was more scatalogical than racially offensive, I'd be up in arms at having it changed. If I'd managed to find a house on "Bell End", "Crotch Crescent", "Cock's Entry" or "Slag Lane" (all genuine street names), they can keep their mitts off it!

I believe that Whiteladies Road, in Bristol is under constant threat. Not to mention Blackboy Hill.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Just read this

Of course, not quite the whole story. Originally (historically) called Dark Lane, someone, for reasons unknown, managed to get the name changed to Darkie Lane relatively recently which, like it or not, is derogatory if taken in the wrong context. Thankfully the council has taken the sensible route and voted overwhelmingly (with one against) to change the name back to its historic original. Seems like it's not really a story at all.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I used the bus to Brighton I always got off at Lovers Walk. :giggle:

1634224402776.png

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I believe that Whiteladies Road, in Bristol is under constant threat. Not to mention Blackboy Hill.

In Bristol, Rupert Street (offensive to small bears, obv) was originally Gropec*nt Lane. Where in medieval times the strumpets would ply their trade, I believe, though even I am not old enough to have witnessed it.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
As a white male, I don't feel qualified to comment whether or not the name should be thought offensive. If people are offended then it's an issue to be addressed.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
As a white male, I don't feel qualified to comment whether or not the name should be thought offensive. If people are offended then it's an issue to be addressed.

Why would being a white male have any affect on your ability to comment?

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
My wife had family that lived at Blackboys in Sussex, next the idiots will be trying to change village names.

Whoever could change the name of my previous address to bollocks street and I wouldnā€™t give a hoot, in fact they could do it to my current address and I wouldnā€™t give a flying f.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
sadly various ancient earthworks are under threat of losing the name dyke for some reason
Oi!!!! :eek: I live on ******dyke Lane there's also and Endyke lane, what happened to Beginningdyke (or whatever it would have been) I haven't a clue as it doesn't exist now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back