Hook-up splitters (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Was following a thread the other day about EHU on French aires and people being asked if they can use a splitter to share the hookup socket. I‘ve been contemplating getting one of those splitter adaptors for such a purpose but am now in a brain fog. The issue befuddling me is this: supposing the bourne has a total ampage of 6 amps. I solely connect up and, as I understand it, I can use items in my van up to 6amps. If then, I let someone share the bourne using my splitter, that 6amp capacity has now to be shared by both vans. As most aires that have bournes with electric hookup are rated at 6amps only, then it‘s likely that the bourne is going to trip almost as soon as the second van hooks up, unless there is a tacit or express understanding that each van will limit the power for, say, charging batteries or using the fridge.

if my understanding is correct, what is the etiquette involved in (a) asking to share the bourne and (b) being asked to share the bourne. I could imagine the reply could be, in both instances “tough ti**y, we got here first”. 🙂

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The etiquette is other Moho approaches you and enquires politely if you mind sharing avec un branchement, Nobody has prior rights to it, you each have equal rights. You each then only use 3A or whatever it happens to be. Not that we'd bother. If you have medical need then it would be wiser to book into a proper campsite. Nothing that we desperately need 240v for in the moho. Up to you to equip yours accordingly as we and others have/do.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We stopped for a couple of nights at Soustons Plage Aire. This was about 4 or 5 years ago. I will always remember the EHU it was hilarious splitter upon splitter. We had no sooner turned off the engine when our French neighbours came out with yet another splitter and in a few seconds had us connected into the spaghetti of cabling. Our point must have been split six ways at least. It never did trip though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Our experience, mostly in France, has been that French vans mostly use hookup to charge their batteries rather than run microwaves, water heaters etc. The availability of LPG and aires generally, with or without leccy seems to make them more sanguine about using hookup. We’re off again on Tuesday for 5 weeks but I haven’t bought a splitter (yet). 😀

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We stopped for a couple of nights at Soustons Plage Aire. This was about 4 or 5 years ago. I will always remember the EHU it was hilarious splitter upon splitter. We had no sooner turned off the engine when our French neighbours came out with yet another splitter and in a few seconds had us connected into the spaghetti of cabling. Our point must have been split six ways at least. It never did trip though.
I've had the same experience. At the aire on Dieppe prom the notice says it's only to be used for battery charging.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Carry a splitter, used it a couple of times with ”friends”, we only need power for fridge, light etc, however once our “friends” used electric heating and used £5 credit I had purchased. Always amazed how many tuggers plug in straight away, unpack the electric kettle and proceed to trip the supply.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We had exactly the same experience also at Soustons Plage. I think its bad form in France to refuse to split. Like Glenn I don't remember the leccy tripping. A few pics.
1.jpg

2.jpg
IMG_20170409_132526.jpg

Love Soustons Plage

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Don't the French have solar panels?
Oh sorry I forgot how tight they are wanting everything for nothing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
each van will limit the power for, say, charging batteries or using the fridge.
That's normal on contental vans most only have gas heating. Appears to be a Brit hang on from caravans wanting to run everthing from mains.
We are on our 3rd Hymer, heating has been gas only on all 3.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I had occasion to use both my 25m leads to reach a power outlet again recently but I've not yet used my splitter or my adapter with the 2 pin ' domestic' plug.
Incidentally I did twice need my new 'hozelock' male/male pipe connection to plug into the new bayonet type water outlets. I even lent it to a Belgian chap to fill his tank at the shiny new Aire in EpernayScreenshot_20210925-235618.png

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I had occasion to use both my 25m leads to reach a power outlet again recently but I've not yet used my splitter or my adapter with the 2 pin ' domestic' plug.
Incidentally I did twice need my new 'hozelock' male/male pipe connection to plug into the new bayonet type water outlets. I even lent it to a Belgian chap to fill his tank at the shiny new Aire in EpernayView attachment 541327
What are the new bayonet fittings you mention? Not come across them.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Well I only saw them on a couple of shiny new bournes but judging by this post they are not so new. It's a good idea actually as it stops people using the drinking water supply to flush their cassette 👍

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Don't the French have solar panels?
Oh sorry I forgot how tight they are wanting everything for nothing.
OI ! You cheeky moo! First of all don't put all french in the same basket please, even though I do have sense of humor!
Actually I would not split, not being tight here, just a tad afraid of blowing the whole thing up.
I would probably say, I unplug for let say 3 or 4 hours so you can use it and then it's my turn again to use the 6 amps. Fair enough me think.... Especially if the other motorhomer hasn't paid for EU.

As for French who "would not like a NO ".... Pah .... I would not give a monkey!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The ones I’ve used are just a female hozelock style outlet on the bourne as opposed to the usual male outlet. This just means using a double male connector.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We have a splitter I used it on a CAMC site, one went directly to the van the other to our small freezer, the warden asked me to disconnect the splitter and plug the freezer directly in to the 13 amp plug in the MoHo. The reason he was not happy was that whilst the splitter had the CE mark he said there was no way of knowing the quality of it (How Bizzar the CE mark is the quality assurance) but he was happy if we placed the cable in to the MoHo via the doors which could (it doesn't) crush the cable.

I pointed out I did not have a 13 amp plug and cable and the freezer contained all our food so he relented (this was last year)

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
How can you manage in France without a splitter? Very bad manners and typical Brit behaviour to arrive without one. If you carry some super glue you will always get a free drink, the French break everything.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve carted a three way splitter around in the vans garage for about 10 years.
It's never been used.
If we use a site with hookup it’s usually in the chilly U.K.
Over the water it’s almost always solar.

Richard.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We have a splitter. Used it once on the aire at Honfleur. Other than that I need to get my eyes checked. When I first saw this thread I thought it was Hooker Split-Ups :rofl::rofl:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
...... whilst the splitter had the CE mark he said there was no way of knowing the quality of it (How Bizzar the CE mark is the quality assurance)
I don't think it has changed* but when I was manufacturing electronic stuff the CE mark was self-certification in-house; no third party test house verification was required.
We were severely hit by a firm importing much cheaper electronic stuff made in Korea. We bought a couple of their CE marked products and when examining them as well as poor quality soldering and unsecured wiring looms and other faults the mains switch switched the Neutral instead of the Live which meant that when the main switch was in the Off position the unit was still 'live'. We reported it to Trading Standards but they did nothing as far as I was aware.

* Have just looked it up and yes, it's still self-certification.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
not to be outdone - and it didnt trip once in the week were there! View attachment 541576
Oh my God! Never seen that before. On the other hand... I never go on such aires I would not stand that sort of mess. Too many people, not my stuff. bobandjanie See the difference with Rieux Volvestre Aire?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We have a splitter. Used it once on the aire at Honfleur. Other than that I need to get my eyes checked. When I first saw this thread I thought it was Hooker Split-Ups :rofl::rofl:
Sorry to disappoint! 😂

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Yodeli - this was a 'pop-up' campsite at Mainstockheim ferry. About 50 vans during the week and over 300 at the weekend. Lovely area. Everyone well behaved etc.

Attachments

• Snapshot 1 (27-09-2021 11-07).png
    Snapshot 1 (27-09-2021 11-07).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
If you don't have a splitter no need to worry,just twist the cables together nice and tighty... remember to wind out the full cable so not to overheat.😉

1633256848586.png

Attachments

• 1633256751983.png
    1633256751983.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries