Home hookup (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
I've been using daisychained 16a cables off an outside 13a 3pin socket at home, but the ip44 connection allows water in and went rusty (twice now). I'm looking to install a 16a outlet nearer to the van and I'm considering this: 16a socket
Has anyone used this or got any better recommendations?
Are there any other factors that I should be considering?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have used the offering from 12v planet, and so far no water ingress.

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I've been using daisychained 16a cables off an outside 13a 3pin socket at home, but the ip44 connection allows water in and went rusty (twice now). I'm looking to install a 16a outlet nearer to the van and I'm considering this: 16a socket
Has anyone used this or got any better recommendations?
Are there any other factors that I should be considering?
Do you need 16amps? If not why not use a lighter continuous cable.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
its IP67 so should be ideal. i assume you will have some sort of RCD protection aswell

or you could pay a LOT more

i just use a waterproof socket and plug into that via an adapter (and have RCD protection within the circuit)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Do you need 16amps? If not why not use a lighter continuous cable.
I donā€™t know if I need 16amps, but my cables and the van inlet have this 3 pin fitting, and I was copying what we get on sites to avoid needing an adaptor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I donā€™t know if I need 16amps, but my cables and the van inlet have this 3 pin fitting, and I was copying what we get on sites to avoid needing an adaptor
Just that I use a light weight cable, 13amp at one end and a 16 at the other, for use at home. Cheap and easy for me as it's only used to keep the batteries charged, about 3 amps max.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I fitted a waterproof 13 amp socket outside with it's own earth rod and made a cable from a damaged hookup lead 13 amp plug on one end and a 16 amp on the other. I use it for the smart battery charger and it can also be used for heating if I use it as a spare bedroom for visitors

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You mention you don't want to use an adaptor but I assume you won't be plugging the van in permanently so this will serve a multitude of purposes, and at half the price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
You mention you don't want to use an adaptor but I assume you won't be plugging the van in permanently so this will serve a multitude of purposes, and at half the price.
Thanks. I have a similar thing at the back of the house, but the distance to the van requires linking cables. We keep the van plugged in over winter to run the heating on a frost setting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
its IP67 so should be ideal. i assume you will have some sort of RCD protection aswell

or you could pay a LOT more

i just use a waterproof socket and plug into that via an adapter (and have RCD protection within the circuit)
Be careful that you get the 16A version. The 32A looks very similar in the pictures, but is bigger and doesn't fit the 16A ones. This link above is the wrong one.

Note, it's only IP67 protection if you also use the appropriate mating plug, which has a sealing ring to complete the seal. One of the usual type of plug would only give you IP44 protection. This one is the IP67 version:
I found that this plug doesn't fit my Hymer inlet socket, it's not like most other MH inlets, the rotating ring gets in the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back