Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
We live in a very quiet private close and rarely see anyone near our properties (just 9) who we don't know. We all look out for each other and feel pretty safe .
Recently, some suspicious characters three days running arrived firstly in a white van and did a drive by looking at our MH. Second day two more walked up our close looking nonchalant for no apparent reason parking their van down the road. We took the reg. Day three a young lad pedalled up our close and stopped by our van (very unusual) and with an Irish accent asked me what my MH was worth! I think we are now on the 'radar'.
We were going away on holiday the next day so felt happier getting the MH off the drive for a while.
We have as much security on the van as you can buy and take as many precautions as we can.
To get to the point, we want to install CCTV on the exterior of our property and would like the advice of some Funsters regarding self install systems plus recommendations of models and where to purchase. I'm pretty handy with DIY as most MH's become!
Your help and advice would be appreciated

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Sounds like there is unwanted interest in your MH

We have comprehensive CCTV coverage at both our properties (UK & Portugal). all hard wired. We use Ethernet over main adaptors to provide a very reliable network (TP-LINK AV600 Powerline Adapter Kit - Twin Pack Currys Product code: 160478)

We also have an empty house following the death of my mother, and wanted a quick installation to keep an eye on things. We got this from Amazon, and found it extremely easy and quick to set up, and very reliable:

Amazon product ASIN B01ISLXKAE
PS, should add, 15 day recording, remote viewing app, security zones to detect movement, emails you still and video shots, web access

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I fitted Swann 8 channel to our house.
All hardwired and linked to internet via hard wire.
You get an app so view remotely if required.
Only use the four channels so could expand if I wanted to.

Bought from screwfix just over £300

Easy enough to fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'll watch this posting with interest. We live in a village & rarely ever lock the house. A stranger sticks out like a sore thumb here, but lately we had an odd event in the back garden that suggests someone has been in there. So we've bought a full 6 camera security recording system that I can access via an app on my phone & I'm going to fit it before the winter gets in.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Cctv won't stop the mh being stolen
And if it does end up with the travelling community or indeed over into Ireland I don't think the police will chase it up I'm afraid
If it was me and be looking for secure storage
If someone wants it the best you can do is slow them down
Detachable pedals is the best I've seen

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes agree with others you were being scoped out ! likelihood is they have moved on now realising the birds have flown the coup, so to speak.
I too looked at this problem after buying our motorhome and after careful consideration decided against a security system that would involve me logging on and wasting my time looking at a screen to see if anyone had broken in. The likelihood of catching crooks in the act is small unless your going to spend endless hours watching your laptop screen when away from home and it's too late after the fact and all you will have achieved is ashed load of stress and a waste of your valuable time. IMO. Far better to have a good deterrent in place then you can just get on with your life and save time and stress. I'm of the view that almost all thieves will not consider breaking in/stealing if they can see the property/motorhome is under surveillance and be placing one of these in a prominent place so it covers the motorhome and can be seen at night is sufficient. My only advice would be not to get a cheap common one as some toerags can spot the poor fakes a mile off.

Amazon product ASIN B00EK559ES

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I agree, you aren't going to catch them whilst the crime is being committed, and in all probability you will end up with a video of someone in a hoodie taking your van. But it can help satisfy any doubts by your insurers.

It's interesting, over the years I have three times had people (twice police investigating attempted break ins in the local area and one time a neighbour whose wall was damaged by a reversing delivery van) knock on our door asking to view our CCTV footage. Our neighbours love us, in one case a would be burglar (frightened off) was identified in the case involving the van, DHL (who had initially denied liability) paid up without further hassle.

I think the more visible deterrents are perhaps the best initial path to take, e.g. wheel clamps, bollards or even (as one chap I know did with his caravan) removal of wheels - all help to deter opportunity theft

If someone is very determined, very little will stop them. Traveller crimes tend to be a bit "hit and run", if they can't get away quickly, then they just move on to their next easy target.

Highly visible measures such as a prominently mounted CCTV camera, an alarm cable (real or fake) linking the MH to the property, etc, all contribute to security and cost next to nothing.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
First thing, check the registrations of the vans on the insurance database https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
Just treat it as your own vehicle or they will want to charge a fee. If it's "dids" then it's likely that they are not insured and if so ring the police and report the goings on.

I was a CCTV and intruder alarm engineer for ten years some 12 years ago and technology has moved on but I installed a high end IP CCTV system at our property as image quality is very important if you ever need it as evidence as is camera position.

If you say you have very good security on your van so I expect you have a tracking device. Depending on the make and model of your tracking device it may be possible to geofence your van which will signal if it moves from a predetermined area.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
https://canary.is/flex/
I've just bought one of these for ease and quickness and think it's great. It's wireless and has a rechargable lithium battery or can be plugged into the mains.
It has a downloadable app so you can watch LIVE from your mobile or tablet and also sends alerts to your mobile if it detects movement.
Also has night vision
Paid £199 from Argos.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
When I want to spend a few more pennies I will be installing Hikvision but for the time being Canary is great and does the job (y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When I want to spend a few more pennies I will be installing Hikvision but for the time being Canary is great and does the job (y)

Mines a Hikvision system. I'm using cameras that record to an onboard micro sd card as well as the NVR (network video recorder) and if, god forbid the thieving gits do break in to the house and know you have CCTV they will normally find the recorder in the house and trash it, but with the in camera recording you still have recorded evidence.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Bought trail type camera (like wildlife people use) to watch what game comes into our garden, It can be set to video or stills, is colour and has night vision.
You just tape it to an upright and leave it. The footage is superb.
It was £57 I think. You can take SD card out and put into the computer for viewing.
Works well and is NOT a fake.
Mitch.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A cautionary note for CCTV owners

we have a four camera system that we can watch on our ipads and laptops live, often have it on in the background and switch to it if we seen someone on our drive or we are alerted by a sensor on our drive while sat at home

The caution is for anybody going abroad, or even mobile in the UK. our first trip to France by MH 4 years ago, we bought a data card when we arrived in France 8Gb, fitted, 2 days later all gone, couldn't work it out, Bev blamed me and MHF o_Oo_Oo_O

Bought another card and I monitored consumption, 1Gb gone in half an hour and we weren't doing anything :(

Both blaming each other we closed everything down and both had running ion the back ground our home cameras, we now know this is equivalent more or less to streaming 4 films at the same time and we were both doing it o_Oo_O

Turned home cameras off, remaining 7Gb lasted another 2 weeks (y)(y) only looked while on someone elses wifi after that :)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
@Gloombusters , in answer to your wish for recommendations for CCTV equipment, my setup is as follows.

Recorder - Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2-8P, and 4Tb harddrive, 8 channel recorder with POE (power over ethernet) which means the the camera image data and voltage to power the cameras utilises the same cable (no separate PSU to power the cameras. The recorder is connected to a WiFi router for internet access and viewing from PC's in the house.

Cameras -2 x HIKVISION 2.8-12MM VF DS-2CD2632F-I 3MP 1080P IR HD Network IP cameras
4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS 3MP Dome IP cameras with 2.8mm lenses
These cameras are wired to the recorder via Cat5e cable.

1 x Hikvision compatible Huisun DM-SCB405IP-V10 mini ptz with x10 zoom lens

The Huisun ptz camera is about 45 yards away from the recorder on the end of one of my workshops viewing the garden as we back onto fields. The video signal is relayed back to the recorder via a Ubiquiti NonoStation Loco M5 WiFi bridge (a two way WiFi transmitter and receiver)

All of these cameras internally record to a 64Gb micro SD card that is in each camera.

The recorder is in my office in the house and the cameras are normally viewed on an Asus 24" LCD monitor.

I get 28 days of recording this setup before the recorder starts recording over the first days images.

This system is nearly 3 years old now so the recorder and cameras available to buy will very likely have been updated with newer versions.

It's all basically Plug and Play and relatively easy to install and if needed a wealth of knowledge and help can be found on the internet and especially at https://ipcamtalk.com/

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Mines a Hikvision system. I'm using cameras that record to an onboard micro sd card as well as the NVR (network video recorder) and if, god forbid the thieving gits do break in to the house and know you have CCTV they will normally find the recorder in the house and trash it, but with the in camera recording you still have recorded evidence.
Easier still to smash the cameras off the wall and take them. Fully connected systems will of course upload video files via FTP, and/or cloud, and/or email, where they will be secure from interference

The issue of data usage is highly significant, unless on Wi-Fi, the prodigious data requirements of live streaming will soon empty your wallet. Besides, who wants to spend their entire holiday glued to an iPad?

No matter how good the quality of video coverage, a picture of a long gone diddy in a hoodie isn't going to be of any great comfort.

We employ 3 bespoke hard wired IP PTZ cameras at our own place, the M/H is fitted with a tracker and geofenced and with movement alert, it is plugged in to our home security via visible cable (alarm sounds if the link is cut), visible wheel clamp and steering wheel locks fitted. Most importantly, it is comprehensively insured. If I can do any more than that, short of taking off the wheels, then I have yet to discover what's possible.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Have you got Captains seats?

By either Drilling holes, or welding a bolt and Staple you can make life extremely hard for any scroat looking to nick your pride and joy.

Turn the drivers seat to face the rear, do one of the above, get yourself a good padlock. Padlock or bolt and padlock the seat to face the rear.

"They" can overcome alarms, wheel clamps, and immobilisers, but they will find it bloody difficult trying to drive it with the seat turned around

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years

By either Drilling holes, or welding a bolt and Staple you can make life extremely hard for any scroat looking to nick your pride and joy.

Turn the drivers seat to face the rear, do one of the above, get yourself a good padlock. Padlock or bolt and padlock the seat to face the rear.

"They" can overcome alarms, wheel clamps, and immobilisers, but they will find it bloody difficult trying to drive it with the seat turned around

You're right mate

We have got "captains seats" and I keep meaning to do this

A very useful reminder to us all, the cost of a padlock and 10 minutes work

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017

Love that idea (y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Easier still to smash the cameras off the wall and take them.

Very few CCTV cameras record internally so it's unlikely and not normal for house breakers to be aware of that or to smash and rip down cameras so drawing attention to themselves. Not impossible though I grant you. The norm is for them to find and trash the recorder within the property.
Hoodie or not it is a natural reaction for them to look over the property and with a camera mounted at height they look directly into the camera and most are not wearing a mask or balaclava.
I was working for a CCTV and intruder alarm company during the time of the 7/7 bombing in London and I spend a couple of weeks collecting CCTV footage from our London and home counties clients for the Police and then initially scanning through them for anything that might be of interest to the Police and intelligents and I can tell you that a hell of a lot of people probably even without realising glance up at at cameras.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I suppose we are fortunate here. I live in a cul-de-sac and have my moho on the hard standing in the front of the house. The parking for the 24 homes here consists of room for around 16 vehicles so always have someone park in front of Moho, even to the point of asking people to move (always politely and they always oblige) when leaving/returning in her. Not really a problem and would like to see someone take her overnight. Mostly our car is blocking during the day.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I suppose we are fortunate here. I live in a cul-de-sac and have my moho on the hard standing in the front of the house. The parking for the 24 homes here consists of room for around 16 vehicles so always have someone park in front of Moho, even to the point of asking people to move (always politely and they always oblige) when leaving/returning in her. Not really a problem and would like to see someone take her overnight. Mostly our car is blocking during the day.
Not my idea of fortunate. :eek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the other cheap but effective security is have a kill switch fitted to stop the engine from running. it depends on base vehicle but the fuel pump relay is a good candidate

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I remember when I was a kid, my dad had a Honda 50 which was pinched and dumped a couple of times by the local yobs.
The Police weren't interested and did bugger all about it so my dad removed the bulb from the light fitting in our loo, fitted a double bulb adaptor replaced the bulb in one side and then took a wire from the other side, though the ajar loo window and wrapped the bare end around the handle bars and switched on. It did not take long, the next evening about half past nine there was a loud scream, the crash of his Honda falling over and a clatter over the gate. Word got around and it was never touched again.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I remember when I was a kid, my dad had a Honda 50 which was pinched and dumped a couple of times by the local yobs.
The Police weren't interested and did bugger all about it so my dad removed the bulb from the light fitting in our loo, fitted a double bulb adaptor replaced the bulb in one side and then took a wire from the other side, though the ajar loo window and wrapped the bare end around the handle bars and switched on. It did not take long, the next evening about half past nine there was a loud scream, the crash of his Honda falling over and a clatter over the gate. Word got around and it was never touched again.
Wouldn't dare do that these days. You might harm the little darlings. :rolleyes:

Richard.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, fitted cctv 4 years ago, used four cameras. Front gate back of m/h, front door with side of m/h, back door and other side of house. You can check who is at the door etc, find it useful but I have not got it connected to the Internet. With the dual cameras you can see the same area in the dark.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Some of the seats you don't even need to drill a well placed lock on the rotating mechanism will hold the seat in place.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I guess it's just something unexpected that might put the scum that make a point of nicking rather than buying , off. Tiz a simple remedy, and won't cost a fifth mortgage to put into operation.

There is always! an easier way!

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Can I ask where you bought your Hikvision system from ?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You're right mate

We have got "captains seats" and I keep meaning to do this

A very useful reminder to us all, the cost of a padlock and 10 minutes work
Surely the scrotes tool kit contains bolt croppers ????

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I did not buy it as a package but bought the cameras and NVR and WiFi bridge from different suppliers.
The static cameras and NVR came from UK eBay vendors and the PTZ cameras I bought direct from a Chinese supplier via www.alibaba.com.
The Asus 22" monitor came from Link Removed and the Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 WiFi bridge came from Link Removed

All the cameras are IP cameras running as POE (power over ethernet) on Cat5e cable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back