Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
They look to be great vans but some of the bigger ones really struggle with payload issues if you wish to register at 3.5T

I would also check a few insurance quotes too because I know Comfort have a few issues with insuring the Hobby brand.

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
They look to be great vans but some of the bigger ones really struggle with payload issues if you wish to register at 3.5T

I would also check a few insurance quotes too because I know Comfort have a few issues with insuring the Hobby brand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
How do you know? Had a quote last week for my fiat based hobby from them no problem.Think it's just any ford based vans and and nothing to do with who built the body.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
How do you know? Had a quote last week for my fiat based hobby from them no problem.Think it's just any ford based vans and and nothing to do with who built the body.

We are in the process of changing our MoHo to a PVC and the first thing Comfort said to me 3-weeks ago is "we don't insure Hobby".

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am very surprised at this! Could it be because you live in Durham?
Has anyone else had this experience, seems a bit ominous.

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
That's very odd as mine has been insured with them before and as I said they were happy tdo insure my hobby again this year.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
We are in the process of changing our MoHo to a PVC and the first thing Comfort said to me 3-weeks ago is "we don't insure Hobby".

I do NOT wish to turn this into yet-another Traveller bashing thread - plenty of those have gone before - but the thought does occur to me is it anything to do with Hobby caravans being popular with Travellers, in more than one sense.

Anyhow, the motorhomes look nice, just sounds like Comfort is best avoided for insurance.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When we were tuggers, I would have loved to have a Hobby Caravan. They are so far ahead of British ones in both innovation and build quality.
However, I didn't but one, purely on the fact that they are a target for thieves.

And that has to be read in conjunction with the fact that we live in Cornwall with a very low crime rate.

OP
OP
Electraglide
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980

You are right about the weight, the one I fancy would not be practicable at 3.5t, I don't think any 7.5 ,metre van would be. if I go for 4.4t I could have Alde heating and a few other items fitted.
I will enquire about the insurance though.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That’s a new development then. I had my Hobby 750 insured with Comfort for 5 years. Not only a Hobby but I fulltimed in it. And not just any old Hobby but a tag axle too! ;)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you Google "Does Comfort insure Hobby Motorhomes" you can see a definitive answer; yes they do!

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
When we were tuggers, I would have loved to have a Hobby Caravan. They are so far ahead of British ones in both innovation and build quality
We have a Hobby caravan, a short one. Structurally, build quality is great (and it's been waterproof), but internally it's quite poor.

But, not many caravan insurers will insure it. Due to its age/value, we don't insure it anymore - but it was an issue. I don't know if this would be relevant to a mh, likely not.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We have a Hobby caravan, a short one. Structurally, build quality is great (and it's been waterproof), but internally it's quite poor.

But, not many caravan insurers will insure it. Due to its age/value, we don't insure it anymore - but it was an issue. I don't know if this would be relevant to a mh, likely not.

I can answer that one as we have a Hobby (57 Plate 650EC) never had a problem insuring it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back