Hit by Tourist Tax (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
What about New Dover Road P+R which has had MH facilities for 10 years plus, to my knowledge and usage?

I estimate that there are far more visitors per day to Canterbury than the hotels can account for - just look at the numbers arriving on coaches.
Like I said, each tourist destination will, in the absence of a national scheme, create their own version. My guess is that only hotels will be included in the first round of schemes as they register all guests so it's easy to use an existing system. In the EU I'm sure that developed schemes include campsites, we've certainly paid tourist taxes on campsites, however Aires users may not get charged but I could be wrong.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
80% of the £20 Billion Wales budget comes from UK Central government in Westminster other 20% is made-up of Welsh taxes, if you think you are starved you should try living in some parts of East Anglia,ie north Suffolk and parts of Norfolk.
Maybe so, but that doesn’t change our situation, or make me feel any better. Some regions of Wales were classed as very poor, hence the money provided from Europe to help them.. This was lost because of a particular vote backed by the Welsh public and that money was never replaced, although promised. by a certain bloke. That was like asking a turkey to vote for Christmas.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Like I said, each tourist destination will, in the absence of a national scheme, create their own version. My guess is that only hotels will be included in the first round of schemes as they register all guests so it's easy to use an existing system. In the EU I'm sure that developed schemes include campsites, we've certainly paid tourist taxes on campsites, however Aires users may not get charged but I could be wrong.
As a b&b owner with a motorhome it gets me both ways!

I've posted on other threads that we are expected to become unpaid tax collectors for the tourist tax when it gets introduced. There will be no standard tools for submission of the information to the councils as they all will be implementing individually. As with VAT We will be charged a small percentage by the card companies when taking payment of the tax (even if included with the room payment) and then spend time completing the paperwork.

As other business owners on here with VAT to handle will appreciate, we aren't looking forwards to another tax to manage!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My old authority Cambridge City Council is looking at a £2 per person per night tax from 2025.
I would want the van parked up for the night for that much.

I've posted on other threads that we are expected to become unpaid tax collectors for the tourist tax when it gets introduced. There will be no standard tools for submission of the information to the councils as they all will be implementing individually. As with VAT We will be charged a small percentage by the card companies when taking payment of the tax (even if included with the room payment) and then spend time completing the paperwork.

As other business owners on here with VAT to handle will appreciate, we aren't looking forwards to another tax to manage!
There are always ways to ensure that you make a profit from doing the work for them .I always did if I had to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Is VAT levied on Tourist Tax in most countries?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
In Spain it is at the reduced rate of 10%

La tasa turística, también conocida como ecotasa, está sujeta a un impuesto sobre el valor añadido (IVA) en España. Este impuesto tiene un tipo impositivo del 10%. Esto significa que el 10% del monto total de la tasa turística se destina al IVA.
Sorry ,English translation here
The tourist tax, also known as the eco-tax, is subject to value added tax (VAT) in Spain. This tax has a tax rate of 10%. This means that 10% of the total amount of the tourist tax goes to VAT.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Manchester's new tourist tax doesn't.
This mandatory £1.00 per room, per night charge, will be added to the final accommodation bill, we expect most providers to include this in their room rate while others will include it as a separate charge on their invoice. The City Visitor Charge is not subject to VAT.

This charge will be implemented for all bookings beginning 1st April 2023, therefore all stays that begin from this date (regardless of when you book your stay) will be required to pay the City Visitor Charge.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Manchester's new tourist tax doesn't.
This mandatory £1.00 per room, per night charge, will be added to the final accommodation bill, we expect most providers to include this in their room rate while others will include it as a separate charge on their invoice. The City Visitor Charge is not subject to VAT.

This charge will be implemented for all bookings beginning 1st April 2023, therefore all stays that begin from this date (regardless of when you book your stay) will be required to pay the City Visitor Charge.

If they include it in the room rate VAT will be applied. Of course the hotel could later net out the 20p on the £1.00 and pocket it - Any Trump hotels in Manchester?

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Wales hasn't clarified if the tourist tax will be subject to VAT but the point i was trying to make was that we will have to manage a separate set of charges and submissions of the Tourist Tax to the local council as well as still sending the existing VAT money and information to HMRC.

If only they had added a very small percentage to VAT on "tourist" transactions, there would be no additional work for businesses. There would be an increase in work at HMRC to allocate the tax to the correct local authority. The suppliers of Quickbooks, Sage, Xero etc accounting software would have to tweak it to accommodate the different rates. Obviously a non starter as the government would have to pay for the HMRC work ;)

It wont be a major task to manage this but it is another task imposed by the government on business (I'd call ours a micro business) to avoid having civil servants doing it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
It's got nothing to do with the money, it's the principle of it. We visit places, put lots of money into the local community, keeping people in jobs, keeping businesses afloat which in turn creates new jobs, it's a win win situation. It goes without saying what happens to the economy of an area if they don't get tourists.
Too much money is wasted by local authorities. Just locally the council spent £332,000 widening an already wide 400yds long pavement by 18 inches to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians going between the town and the railway station which has only around 6 trains a day. There's never much traffic on the road and cyclists could safely use it. Totally unnecessary waste of public money at a time when they are cash-strapped :(
I agree. It just harms local businesses. In 2 ways. It stops people coming and they spend less in shops due to tourist tax and parking fees when they are there. There was something on the TV about parking costs in the UK. £25/day in Brighton. That must harm the local businesses.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
It's an option.
In my opinion it is interesting to understand the origin of the problem and, consequently, the possible measures to be adopted by the locals or the authorities.
Barcelona has the same number of inhabitants as in 1992 (1.7 million, as gus-lopez said), however it has gone from less than 2 million tourists to almost 10 million a year!
The city's inhabitants suffer from the brutal increase in prices when buying or renting homes and the invasion of cruise ships that can disembark up to 20,000 people in a single day. Neighborhoods like El Born or La Barceloneta have lost their inhabitants and their personality, displaced by the invasion of tourist flats (Airnbnb type) and by bachelor parties organized by drunk tourists.
You wouldn't want to live in a city like that.
I love my city, like many of you do (architecture, streets, culture, gastronomy...), but I am glad not to live there anymore.
And we cannot blame the tourists, but the authorities.
It is dying of success as a result of poor management.
I think the problem is social media. There used to be places that only a few dedicated travellers knew about and went too. Bit once something gets on Facebook or twitter everyone descends on it. Yet more posts and yet more people. It just snowballs.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Who cares who collects the tourist tax, as long as the money goes to support the infrastructure from extra use by tourist. The comment that the tax will deter tourists, is absolute nonsense. Just look at other countries like France, Germany Italy and Spain, numbers of tourists are huge, who on earth looks at the cost of tourist tax of these countries before going, absolutely no one. I’s a pity people say, I won’t go there, because I won’t pay tourist tax in my own country, although they will use the infrastructure and expect the locals to pay for them.
If you wish to grumble about tax, make value added tax your priority and total up how much tax you will have paid in one year of purchases compared with the cost of a few pence in tourist tax.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
as long as the money goes to support the infrastructure from extra use by tourist.
& unless it is ring fenced with the monkeys unable to touch it & use for anything else then you have no guarantee. It will disappear in to the abyss of grandiose shite that the monkeys want rather than be used by them for the benefit solely of the tax paying residents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back