Hi Everyone! (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Hi to everyone from Edinburgh. Martin here. Been reading motorhome fun for a little while now trying to get my bearings around the ins and outs of buying a campervan and have enjoyed the craic and banter so thought it was time to join the gang. So here goes about myself. Travelling is something I love to do and I can go back many years to when I used to take a bus with my pals to go hill walking and wild camping in the mountains but that's probably too far back to go so I'll start a bit later to when I bought a touring bike (honda vfr then yamaha fj1200) with luggage attached and with my wife on the back would tour Europe with a tent. Then the kids arrived (a bit later in life than I would have liked but that's another story) and I sold the bike and bought a caravan and continued going to the continent but this time with a couple of kids in tow. I work in education and so got six weeks hols every year to get up and go and it was a fantastic way to spend time with very young children. Sold the caravan after many adventures and then on impulse got a trailer tent for £800 which although a bit tatty was great for holidaying in, almost as good as the caravan, and we spent many hols away in France and Holland in the tent. This finally fell to bits and I got another caravan but this was just a bit too big and although we went in it to Holland I never felt comfortable towing it so it mostly stayed in the garden where it was handy for relatives to stay in when they came to visit. Of course by this time the kids were getting older and at uni so last week I sold it and we are now looking for a camper van. We have our eyes on a Citroen Relay pvc which we saw last Sunday in Fife. I am in my 60's and will be retiring in a couple of years and my wife is in her late 50's. We are both looking forward to getting away in retirement to the vast expanses of the continent.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Welcome. It‘s interesting to read your camping background. I predict that when you retire you’ll probably move up to a larger motorhome. It’s a natural progression, I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
To be honest I've been working since I was 13 and think I've worked enough already - can't wait to retire and sit around outside my van with my wife on a balmy spanish evening drinking wine and smoking a Cuban cigar.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Thanks for the welcomes :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome from just down the road in Dumfries, although I've spent a vast majority of the last 4 years travelling to and from Edinburgh as our daughter was at Napier.

Like we started off with tent then folding camper then caravan before progressing to our first MH, when Sophie went to uni we changed from a 7.4m coachbuilt to a 6.4 PVC. The reason for changing was so my wife would drive it up to Edinburgh on her own as I worked shifts, we have just changed back to a coachbuilt.

Both have their pros and cons and no matter how much you spend you'll probably still have to make sacrifices they just tend to get smaller the more you spend :LOL::LOL:, although we loved the PVC we tend to retire when the OH reaches 55 so about 3 1/2 years and thought the PVC might be to small for being away months at a time.

Good luck with your search and make sure you post loads of questions before buying something.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Thanks for the welcome Lorger. I've already seen a pvc I like but there is a problem with it which I've already raised in the beginner section.
We're not retiring for another 3 years and I take on board what you saying about the size of the van being a problem when away for months at a time but at the moment my wife is very nervous about driving anything bigger than a people carrier - and I mean really nervous! Anyway I'll bet I do all the driving anyway as usual.
By the way I notice that you've got a German (I think) flag on your profile. How can I change my profile to get a scottish flag in there somewhere?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the welcome Lorger. I've already seen a pvc I like but there is a problem with it which I've already raised in the beginner section.
We're not retiring for another 3 years and I take on board what you saying about the size of the van being a problem when away for months at a time but at the moment my wife is very nervous about driving anything bigger than a people carrier - and I mean really nervous! Anyway I'll bet I do all the driving anyway as usual.
By the way I notice that you've got a German (I think) flag on your profile. How can I change my profile to get a scottish flag in there somewhere?
My wife is the same and I do all the driving, although she does have a go at least twice a year just in case of emergency. They really are easy to drive.

The flag is dictated by your the country of your IP address and although I'm hard at work in Dumfries our company IP address is in Germany.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Great warm welcome from everyone - looking forward to chatting on some of the threads.
Thanks all

Deleted User
To be honest I've been working since I was 13 and think I've worked enough already - can't wait to retire and sit around outside my van with my wife on a balmy spanish evening drinking wine and smoking a Cuban cigar.
...you forgot the chocolate bit. Wine, cigars and chocolate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back