help woth solar set up (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You spoke earlier about 12/24v kettle and toaster.
I suggest you take a handful of British five pound notes outside and set fire to them.
Anything 12/24v which produces heat just doesn't work....unless you like lukewarm tea and limp toast.

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
will be a big learning curve but hopefully get there in the end.

ive just fit the solar panel to the roof of the motorhome.

im thinking. not using microwave heaters toasters ect unless ehu

just use the set up for tv and charging phones. need to try send the 24v inverter back and get another 12v one. see what the seller says on ebay.

existing set up for water pump/ lights/ fridge.

then next year do a full rewire of it all.
just need to find other options lile kettle on gas for hot water. hopefully will come across some other handy cooking methods on here will do the scanning

thanks guys. any more useful imfo still appreciated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
A microwave will probably kill 2 leisure batteries quite quickly (far too much power draw at once). Plus the wiring it would need could be a real issue.

I have 4 x leisure battery and a very sturdy set up with smart chargers, solar etc - no way I'd try running a microwave of them.

It can be done. Someone I know build a van, with a great electrical system in it, designed to power his microwave. Again, he had 4 x battery, plus huge cables and a lot of very pricey Victron trickery.

Edit - Thought it might be useful to give an idea what draw the things listed would put on a battery.

microwave - say 850w - so 850/12.5v = roughly 70Ah draw. So if a 140Ah "could" supply this amount of power it would theoretically be dead in an hour. In reality the battery would probably last half this time.
tv - Say the TV consumes 20w and its on for 5 hours a day. So 20 x 5 = 100w/12.5a = 8Ah
sky box - I'll guess same as TVish, so again, 5 hours per day = 8Ah
phone charge - I'll guess around 10w and only needed for about 2 hours ago. So 20w per day/12.5v = about 2 amps used

Electric oven or heater - stick with gas.

So TV, sky box and phone would probably only use around 20Ah per day (unless on for longer). With 2x 140Ah batteries you'll have roughly 140Ah that can be used (shouldn't drain a normal leisure battery past 50%), so this would probably last quite a few days (and solar charging will really help).

thats some decent working out that. whats the equation used to work it out? isit watts divided by volts = amp hours?

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
i know its a little off topic but is there any other ways people use off the ehu like pocket generators/ power banks ect

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Some people use suitcase type generators, like the ones from honda. You can get them dual fuel, which run off LPG gas bottles or petrol. They are a bit pricey, the honda ones but there are alternatives about half the price.

You just plug them into your EHU socket. They are not for use on campsites and should only be used if wildcamping and you are alone as they are very antisocial to other campers

If you do go down this road do not get a 2 stroke open framed cheap one as the noise and smell will drive you mad. Also you will need a pure sine wave output so you can safely run TVs computers and microwaves without frying the delicate electronics.

Most camping shops/ moho dealers have them and can give more advice

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
thats some decent working out that. whats the equation used to work it out? isit watts divided by volts = amp hours?

Yep :)

For volts use 12.5 - close as damn it it real life, then when you have your Ah times it by the number of hours you use each appliance per day.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use toaster and microwave from Inverter, also a travel type hairdryer (1200w max). Solar is 400w and just 2x130Ah batteries. The microwave draws around 1000w (around 100amps at 12v while its running but that is usually only for 5 minutes or so) so 5mins roughly equivilant to about 8Ah. Like wise a toaster doesn't take long to do a couple of slices of toast.
While travelling during the day if its hot we use a small electric kettle on inverter to avoid heating the MH interior but use gas when pitched.
Running a conventional electric oven on inverter is a non-starter.

Our TV is 12v but hasn't been switched on in years so consumption is non-existant.

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
anyone got a recommendation for a solar control charge unit? the one i have is standard that came with it. been looking at some on eBay which have digital displays or are they just cheap crap from china?

thanks

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The ones with displays are no good, why? Because you are supposed to fit the controller as near to the battery as possible, so nine times out of ten you won't see the display anyway.
The good ones have a remote screen option so the controller is near the battery but the screen is up where you can see it. The Votronic duo range is highly regarded. I've just fitted the duo 250, not bothered with the screen because I've got the NASA BM1 battery monitor. The Duo range looks after the engine battery too with a 1amp trickle charge, if needed.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
a quick run down of how most motorhomes are powered assuming your not on ehu fridge runs on gas cooking is done on gas heating is gas or deisel everything else runs on 12v where ever possible
invertors are only used in short burst usually by women to dry curl straighten hair

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
We use a 300w pure sine inverter to run a 32" TV with a separate soundbar + a Sky box & also a bedroom 25" TV
A separate 2500w inverter runs the ring main for hairdryer microwave etc

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
@mitzimad comments referred to most motorhomes. I doubt most have room for a 32" TV and a 25" TV.
Just meaning you don't need a 4000w inverter if only planning to run a TV & Sky box
Think the OP needs to work out what it is he is actually planning on running off grid and planning his system from there, no point in running 3000/4000w inverter to charge a mobile phone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back