LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have been through what I can find but did not find the answer.. but I am a bloke so if it aint the size of a panzer and flashing blue I proly missed it !
Maureen usually makes up three sealed bags of stew when we travel to Spain in the winter.. Quick to reheat and is great winter grub :)
Does the panel know if cooked meat in a stew is allowed ?
No biggy if it aint as stew is still stew(ish) without lumps of animal floating in it..

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
To be honest, can you see anyone caring about what we take out?
I for one will take our fridge contraband, wrap in bubble wrapped and store under the quilt.
More concerned about our return trip contraband!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I for one will take our fridge contraband, wrap in bubble wrapped and store under the quilt.

If you get caught you will get slammed because you are obviously trying to get round the rules by hiding it under the quilt.

If I was going to try it, I would just leave it in the fridge as normal and claim ignorance very apologetically and hope the just confiscate it.

But, Personally, when going to another country I tend to obey the laws/rules as I would expect foreign visitors to our country to.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looks like food for personal consumption is ok

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
The sniffer dogs have been trained

download.jpeg

NoddyNinja

Free Member
Jan 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Viseo i700
Mirror newspaper today
"Brits baffled as Dutch customs officers seized ham sandwiches because of Brexit"

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

I'm not sure that is actually what it says.

The initial guidance is for travelling AROUND the EU - across borders, I suppose?

Further down the page, it lists the restrictions when entering from a non-EU country (ie the UK). :unsure:

As an aside, this is from the Daily Mail, so may or may not be factually accurate... ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Reading the above I gather I am not the only one who needs a bit of help..
All I can find out is cooked meats come under a different set of rules.. but the rules are vague in the extreme

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Will need to hide my rolls of Black pudding, square sausage and tins of Haggis we take over for our French friends, Oh dam !!

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If you get caught you will get slammed because you are obviously trying to get round the rules by hiding it under the quilt.

If I was going to try it, I would just leave it in the fridge as normal and claim ignorance very apologetically and hope the just confiscate it.

But, Personally, when going to another country I tend to obey the laws/rules as I would expect foreign visitors to our country to.
if you put a goodly amount in the fridge this may get confiscated but you load up the quilt at the same time as they will not then look under the quilt.;)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Not sure Robert. The first headline suggest you can but it seems that only applies if you arrive from another EU country. Further down the page it clearly states "If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey." The bold part is their emphasis, not mine.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Not sure Robert. The first headline suggest you can but it seems that only applies if you arrive from another EU country. Further down the page it clearly states "If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey." The bold part is their emphasis, not mine.
Adjust your ways and means, if you cannot do this, then do that, if you cannot go where you normally go, go elsewhere..
New rules for us all, adjust what you do and do it differently, cannot do it that way, do it this way......always done it before, sure but you cannot anymore, so change, adapt, any rules that are presented to us, stick with them, not bend or break them, or find a work around....
There is always a different way to do most things in life, just be prepared to do it in a different way.....Stay safe, watch Netflix....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm not sure that is actually what it says.

The initial guidance is for travelling AROUND the EU - across borders, I suppose?

Further down the page, it lists the restrictions when entering from a non-EU country (ie the UK). :unsure:

As an aside, this is from the Daily Mail, so may or may not be factually accurate... ;)

It does say,

In this context, EU includes the 27 EU countries, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and the UK.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It does say,

In this context, EU includes the 27 EU countries, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and the UK.
That is because the advice is dated 3 September 2020 when we were no longer members of the EU, but still had the benefits of membership. That all changed on 1 January 2021.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That is because the advice is dated 3 September 2020 when we were no longer members of the EU, but still had the benefits of membership. That all changed on 1 January 2021.
I had a quick look for a date ;) obviously too quick.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It does say,

Thanks for highlighting that - apologies, I had missed UK was included in the list!

And I am now more confused than ever. I could see the information as written on the web page was correct during the 'transition' phase. I'd wonder if it has been updated to reflect the post 01.01.21 situation? But if it is an official EU website, then you'd expect it to be?

Ah, just spotted earlier posts, highlighting the page was: Last checked: 03/09/2020

I think that is probably the explanation.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sorry but it looks absolutely clear to me - NO meat or dairy products, can't be simpler than that. No exceptions made, including frozen. Anything else is trying to fudge the issue.

If ever we're allowed out again a bit of tinned stuff and our first call will be Auchan in Boulogne. We tend to buy fresh as we go along anyway so won't be much of a hardship.

Will miss Sunday morning bacon and sausages though.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You could always take vegetarian sausages. Or if a horrendous mix-up happened during your food preparation for your trip, real meat sausages somehow got put into vegetarian wrappers. That would be a tragic mistake.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just worry about getting there, that's the important thing at the moment, take nowt then you are bound to be right, I'll just be bloody glad if we ever get over again, I'm certainly not going to be worrying about whether I can take a sausage.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What I don't get, do you all take enough stuff to last you a month or whatever, if not what do you do when you have used it all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back