Help!!?? Rotten Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Taffymat

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
First post, in desperation... Please can somebody give me some positive advice?

I've just basically sunk my life-savings into a private sale motorhome Swift 600s. I find out after all this rain, the roof leaks badly, and has completely rotted out the roof ( sandwich ply-polystyrene-paper face ply). With a non-bonded aluminium skin for the roof. I am capable of repairing the leaky roof, but have no experience repairing the sandwich panels.

The tops of some of the sidewalls have also rotted out, the facing ply and the timbers behind. These walls are also sandwich (FRP-polystyrene-face ply). How, if at all, do I go about repairing these panels?

Is it feasible to remove the sidewall interior facing, remove the rotten timbers bond new timbers back in with some type of adhesive?

Similarly with the roof?

Hoping desperately that somebody can offer some positive advice.

Many Thanks

Matt

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Matt

Yes it can be done for sure but will be a lot of work, there are a few threads on here about people doing similar repairs.

Martin

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry to hear of your woes. There’ll be people along to help, I’m sure, but I think it’s worth you paying subs to join the site (£15) That way you can go on asking questions, post photos and you’ll get constant advice through the repair.
Good luck with the repair work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Taffymat

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thank you Martin, your comment is just what I needed!! I thought I was driving my investment to the scrapyard after just 2 weeks! A lot of work is fine.

No worries Hollyberry, I'll get right onto that. Thanks.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's not good news Matt it's going to be a lot of work. Get it inside, remove all the furniture, and the delaminated board. Then you'll see the extent of the rot, remove and replace all the rotted timber, make sure all leaks are fixed, get an industrial dryer in it and completely dry it out before replacing wallboards and furniture.

Keep posting your progress here along with plenty of pictures and members who have done such things before will virtually hold your hand throughout. Best of luck (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Matt

A bit of light reading here,

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Nothing worse than spending your life savings into a motorhome to find out it's a dud. Did the previous owner provide any assurances on the motorhome that you can claim against !!! Anyway, you seem to be between a rock and a hard place and as others have said you will get loads of good advice on here from people who have considerable experience in doing the work you are about to undertake. Don't forget to use U-tube. Loads of really helpful videos on there that will will make your task a little easier.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Oh Dear!
Motorhome fun the best £15 you can invest at the moment
I have done a bit of that sort of work as you may see from postings but not quite on the scale that you describe. Am working on the assumption that
a you have no recourse and
b you want to get on with it
It will be best if you can find somewhere dry to work inside, you can possibly find a barn or similar, then carefully take the whole lot out and store it safely. Then you might be able to see the scale of the job. It will look a lot worse yet. Just take your time and think of how well you will know your van when it is finished!
It wil take time and patience, you will gain skill as it goes along- thats why this sort of work is expensive and dont try to do anything unless you are in the mood for it- thats when it can go wrong and
accidents/ mistakes happen
Best of luck
Remember its only £15 to join us
Mike

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Might also be worth referring back to the original sellers avert
If it says ‘excellent condition’ or otherwise you may have a strong case to ask the seller for a refund

Good advice.

This from Which.

Did you buy it from a private seller?
When you buy from an individual (as opposed to a retailer), the Consumer Rights Act says that the goods you get must be as they were described to you by the seller.[/quote]​
There's no obligation on the seller to disclose any faults, but misrepresenting goods isn't allowed.​
For example, something second-hand should not be described as new. If it is, the seller will be in breach of contract.​
But putting things right can be tricky. If you can’t reach an agreement between yourselves you’ll have to try alternative dispute resolution or the small claims court.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Taking it up with the seller isn't an option...:(. I've already taken the ceiling down as it was wringing wet.

Does that matter ? I just proves what he sold you was sub standard.

OP
OP
T

Taffymat

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
I dont know, surely it does??

The seller's advert:

swift 600, 4 berth motor home, very low mileage, nice condition, large end bathroom, 3way fridge, gas hob with grill, sink hot and cold pumped water, gas heater all in working order, reversing camera.

That was it. If somebody thinks it's worth taking legal advice? then I will.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Taking it up with the seller isn't an option...:(. I've already taken the ceiling down as it was wringing wet.
No it isn’t too late
Could tact the seller and see what happens

How did the seller describe the state of the van ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

The seller's advert:

swift 600, 4 berth motor home, very low mileage, nice condition, large end bathroom, 3way fridge, gas hob with grill, sink hot and cold pumped water, gas heater all in working order, reversing camera.

Can you give us a link to the actual advert?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
if you are keeping it have you considered taking the lot out, waterproofing the roof then start your walls from scratch with new materials, might end up with a better van than the original and not much more trouble or cost than trying to patch it up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although it is repairable will be a hell of a lot of work and if you got it done professionally it would cost thousands.
The fact it was described as "nice condition" and it's anything but, would be a good case to reject it for a refund. Or you could get an estimate for the repairs and ask the seller to pay for the repairs.

OP
OP
T

Taffymat

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
I'd rather not at the minute. If I do end up taking this down the legal route, then I don't think it fair to publish the seller's details.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

The seller's advert:

Take legal advice
A proper solicitors letter threatening legal action may get you a full refund

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Take legal advice
A proper solicitors letter threatening legal action may get you a full refund
with all due respect, before forking out for lawers why not just go and see the guy and ask him what hes willing to do about it or you are going to law,

OP
OP
T

Taffymat

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Haha, thanks Lenny..

I'm going to get a quote tomorrow. Thanks to you guys, I've been on the phone to Citizens Advice, they've given me a template letter to send him.

Because I've cut the ceiling down, I cannot get a full refund. But I may be able to claim for a large proportion of the repairs.

I'll get typing tonight.

Cheers,
Matt

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Haha, thanks Lenny..

I'm going to get a quote tomorrow. Thanks to you guys, I've been on the phone to Citizens Advice, they've given me a template letter to send him.

Because I've cut the ceiling down, I cannot get a full refund. But I may be able to claim for a large proportion of the repairs.

I'll get typing tonight.

Cheers,
Matt
we cross posted there.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would have thought the first action would be to have a word with the seller. If he really didn't know he may be totally shocked and come to an arrangement and will either take it back or pay for repairs.
Of course, he could be a total knob and you will have to go the legal route, often just the threat of legal action is enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: GPW
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
with all due respect, before forking out for lawers why not just go and see the guy and ask him what hes willing to do about it or you are going to law,
Because I suspect he/she sold the van knowing there were problems
Plus the OP has already started ripping it apart

A few hundred quid on a well worded solicitors letter is money well spent me thinks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
have we had a value or age on this van yet , cant see anything, might not be worth putting right.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
What kind of work are you competent in your self? If you are good with joinery or have a mate who is then that will help shave a hell of a lot of the repair bill. I presume you have a workshop or garage where you can do the work?

Rip everything out. See what timber needs replacing, get that done then see about getting someone in to do the rest.

I'm currently in France with my damp ridden old van. Still trying to decide if it's worth repairing when I get home so I'll be following this thread with interest.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

The seller's advert:

nice condition,

All you have done is identified it's faults. I suggest that it not "nice condition".

You've got to get back to him, an decent person would be appalled and offer you some compensation.

I don't know the legal position.

Reactions: GPW

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back