Help re topping up something in the engine (2 Viewers)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
renault use a yellow coolant, thats why i asked
Broken Link Removed
like this

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Joy i think you are worrying about nowt!
The last 5 cars and 3 motorhomes including my current one have NEVER needed the expansion bottle topping up!!!
As long as when engine is cold it does not fall below lower mark relax you are fine!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
The answer to the original question, based on your pictures is no, it doesn't need topping up. There is no requirement to have it filled to maximum.

The servicing schedule will say how often the coolant is supposed to be changed but like brake fluid lots of folk ignore this advice.

What I would suggest is unless you have reason to believe the coolant is weak is only to top it up with the recommended mix of antifreeze and water.
I agree with DBK Joy. The level is well above the MIN mark so dosnt need topping up.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Don't worry or be confused,some fun replies but anywhere between min and max are fine,no leaks or tiddles,spring is nearly sprung or durchsprung!! a little drop of demoralised water,or de-ionised!!
If it hasn't been touched for years a little neat antifreeze won't hurt.
However when you find your service history or handbook,it does need changing and flushing occasionally.
Have fun.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Joy not wanting to confuse you but make sure your 710 cap is on the right way while your under the bonnet.(y)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi joy looking at picture level is above minimum mark leave well alone keep,a eye on and if it goes down it needs topping up
As said before DO NOT try remove cap with a hot engine as water and steam will escape fast and will burn you
When are you next out in van?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You can get a thingy mabob for checking the amount of antifreeze. I got one a while back similar to this:

Broken Link Removed

but there are lots of different ones around. Your garage should have one and may even check it for you for free if you ask. They are dead easy to use, even I can do it!!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
if you understand all that joy. you can come and do mine. good luck

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont bother topping up......its half way between fill and full.

As they say, if it aint broken......

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Joy @movan there's nothing to worry about under your bonnet

49728-GY-Grey-Pioneer-Bonnet-large.jpg

(y)(y):)

mmmmmm on second thoughts ....I might be wrong though:RollEyes:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Joy,
If your antifreeze/coolant is yellow then you must top it up with the appropriate type.
This is not difficult, there is coolant/antifreeze available that mixes with any type and it is yellow in colour. It is NOT ethol glycol.
I use this one and widely available and mixes with all types:
prestone.jpg

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Joy not wanting to confuse you but make sure your 710 cap is on the right way while your under the bonnet.(y)
Now there's a joke I haven't heard for a long time, still makes me giggle though.

Personally I always change the coolant when I do the service, but agree with everyone else, level looks fine to me. It might also be worth pointing out, although it has hot and cold marks, don't open it when it's hot. Well not unless you want 3rd degree burns that is!

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Joy...from one woman to another...given the level it is at, you could either take it to a garage and ask someone to show you how to maintain it properly...or if you're not travelling in it between now & Chester Rally...wait and put your pretty Easter Bonnet on and then take the moho for one of the guys above to show you whats what at the rally :makeup: :winky: Tbh the nice guys at the rally may have alot more patience if you don't understand the explanation first time (if you're like me being often confused.com) and will probably explain it better...the moho coolant thingy-ma-gig that is! ::bigsmile: Just a thought...huggs :smiley: x

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
One thing to remember is antifreeze also has corrosion inhibitors in it that degrade over time, so don't leave old antifreeze more than four years before replacing, the corrosive effects on aluminium cylinder heads/ radiators/ water pumps can be severe enough to scrap the component, again as my granny would say pound wise penny foolish!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Ask a bloke the time.... and he'll tell you how to make a watch!... :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Joy,
If your antifreeze/coolant is yellow then you must top it up with the appropriate type.
This is not difficult, there is coolant/antifreeze available that mixes with any type and it is yellow in colour. It is NOT ethol glycol.
I use this one and widely available and mixes with all types:
prestone.jpg

:cartoon: Useful to know

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
JOY. When the engine gets hot the level will rise in the expansion tank ( the bit you are worried about) and possibly even reach the "High" mark !!
So, don't do ANYTHING !! Your level is fine because your engine is cold !! And is above the minimum mark..
Have a look when you arrive at your next destination, after the drive, the level will be up. !!Enjoy your weekend.. (y) Mitch..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back