Hello! Newbie here looking for any advice for a DIY van conversion :) (1 Viewer)

Sinead09

Free Member
Feb 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - YET!
Hi there!
I live in Northamptonshire and I am currently waiting for restrictions to be lifted to go and test drive some vans I have shortlisted, the idea at the moment is to find a suitable high roof, MWB van to convert into a camper. I would love to do UK trips and hopefully Europe too (fingers crossed!), something I have wanted to do for a very long time.
Any help or advice along the way would be most appreciated! :giggle: Thank you!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Unless you have a particular reason to use a MWB van you will have more scope conversion wise with a LWB van which in the Fiat Ducatto or Peugeot Boxer is usually 6m although some converters use the 6.3 m long version.
The Ducatto or Boxer are also wide enough to fit a fixed transverse bed across the back which is useful if you intend spending a few weeks at a time in it,

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I'll second @Mikeco's suggestion for a Boxer / Ducato / Relay (all three the same, by different makers). In addition to them being wide enough for a full size double width-ways they are also more square when compared to other vans. The walls in Sprinters for example curve in comparatively much more sharply than a Boxer. This means building off the walls is much more tricky and there's less space the higher up you get.

Just buy one with a better engine than mine. I'm seriously considering driving mine into the canal and claiming on the insurance! :rolleyes:

You might have already seen them but Greg Virgoe's build series is well worth watching.

You can also see my progress here:

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Hi and welcome from a fellow northamptonioan
If you decide on a MWB van and depending on how much your looking to pay a friend is selling a sprinter

OP
OP
S

Sinead09

Free Member
Feb 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - YET!
Unless you have a particular reason to use a MWB van you will have more scope conversion wise with a LWB van which in the Fiat Ducatto or Peugeot Boxer is usually 6m although some converters use the 6.3 m long version.
The Ducatto or Boxer are also wide enough to fit a fixed transverse bed across the back which is useful if you intend spending a few weeks at a time in it,
I think the biggest factor in possibly deciding on a MWB was the ease of driving/parking/navigating smaller towns or villages, as I have some experience of driving a van for work however never a LWB. Completely agree on the fact there would be more scope space wise! This is exactly the sort of thing I am here to gather advice on :giggle: thank you

OP
OP
S

Sinead09

Free Member
Feb 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - YET!
I'll second @Mikeco's suggestion for a Boxer / Ducato / Relay (all three the same, by different makers). In addition to them being wide enough for a full size double width-ways they are also more square when compared to other vans. The walls in Sprinters for example curve in comparatively much more sharply than a Boxer. This means building off the walls is much more tricky and there's less space the higher up you get.

Just buy one with a better engine than mine. I'm seriously considering driving mine into the canal and claiming on the insurance! :rolleyes:

You might have already seen them but Greg Virgoe's build series is well worth watching.

You can also see my progress here:
Thank you so much for your reply! The Peugeot Boxer is top of the list at the moment, what problems are you having with yours may I ask?
Thank you for the YouTube links too, I have some bedtime reading/watching to last me for quite a while!

OP
OP
S

Sinead09

Free Member
Feb 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - YET!
Hi and welcome from a fellow northamptonioan
If you decide on a MWB van and depending on how much your looking to pay a friend is selling a sprinter
Hello!
Thank you so much for your reply, how much are they looking for for the Sprinter? We have looked at them as they seem to be a fab choice for conversions but the mileage has been so high on all of the vans within our price range.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I think the biggest factor in possibly deciding on a MWB was the ease of driving/parking/navigating smaller towns or villages, as I have some experience of driving a van for work however never a LWB. Completely agree on the fact there would be more scope space wise! This is exactly the sort of thing I am here to gather advice on :giggle: thank you
I converted the 6m one and can park in a normal car park space providing its on the perimeter and you can overhang the back.
Have a good look at the professional converters websites such as Rapido and Globecar and look at their layouts, itā€™s surprising what you can learn.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thank you so much for your reply! The Peugeot Boxer is top of the list at the moment, what problems are you having with yours may I ask?
Thank you for the YouTube links too, I have some bedtime reading/watching to last me for quite a while!

It's a bit of a long winded story to put here but you can read about it here:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i did a fiat 10 years ago details in my blog in my signature below that shape van is the only one you can sleep across the width so bed uses less space

OP
OP
S

Sinead09

Free Member
Feb 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - YET!
i did a fiat 10 years ago details in my blog in my signature below that shape van is the only one you can sleep across the width so bed uses less space
Thank you so much for the recommendation and the link!:)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The thing to remember is that the ducato/boxer/relay is the same van, built on the same production line with different trim and choice of engine. If you choose an engine with timing chain rather than belt, it will save time and money later. Belts need changing every 4 to 6 years and it's not a cheap job. Plus if you need automatic, only the ducato has that in older vans. previous use will be a massive issue too, some are high motorway miles and clean, some high mileage stop start short journeys as a courier, some are beaten and scruffy. I would choose the high motorway miles van every time out of those choices. Clean low mileage vans are way more expensive and hard to find

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back