FZ

Mar 15, 2024
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Hi,
We are looking to enter into the world of ‘turtle’ travel by purchasing a suitable vehicle but we are presently not sure what type although smallish is better.
Autosleeper seem like a reasonable bet and we prefer such as a Warwick duo layout (singles and double). Warwick XL looks good but too long for us . Also looked at Neuvo too - friends have a 2013 Lancashire so we know the layout but still think we favour panel vans presently.
Only two of us and our older dog. Looking first at travel in UK but possibly abroad longer term.
To be Frank it looks like a minefield out there so be gentle with us.
Thanks

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Welcome!

Try to hire before you buy.
A long wet week in Wales may alter the ideas of what you need vs what you want.

We hired four before we bought one, best thing we did as we realised a 8m tag axle is not what we needed, and so set our upper limit at 7m which reduces the field considerably.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Welcome 🙂
Take your time before you buy ,we looked at hundreds of vans before we bought ours👍

OP
OP
F

FZ

Mar 15, 2024
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Welcome!

Try to hire before you buy.
A long wet week in Wales may alter the ideas of what you need vs what you want.

We hired four before we bought one, best thing we did as we realised a 8m tag axle is not what we needed, and so set our upper limit at 7m which reduces the field considerably.
Sage advice I’m sure and something we have looked at but not yet found a rental of the vans we are looking for.
Couldn’t agree more with wet weeks or weekends. Had plenty of those over the years camping.
Camping getting a bit rough for these old arthritic bones and joints. Having said that we are camping for a long weekend in July 24.
Looking at 6m vans.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
An excellent guide here, free to subscribers...........

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Hi,
We are looking to enter into the world of ‘turtle’ travel by purchasing a suitable vehicle but we are presently not sure what type although smallish is better.

Only two of us and our older dog. Looking first at travel in UK but possibly abroad longer term.
Welcome.
After a few caravans I 'downsized' to a Peugeot Boxer conversion - 6m. At the time we were two of us and an older dog and the size was perfect.
Since then I have downsized again to a VW Transporter and have nothing but respect for anyone who travels in one of these with a partner and finds enough space. There is only me in the van and (in my opinion) no room for anyone else!

As you're not too far south, have you looked at Devon Conversions in County Durham? They did my first van and whilst it will not be as sleek and modern-looking as some it was very, very solidly built and everything worked as it should. Never had any problems, still regret selling her but it was the right thing to do.

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
Some friends of ours have just hired a Warwick Duo as a taster.
Currently tent campers, but they’re tempted by a smalllish van.
You definitely need to spend time away in them to get a proper feel for if it suits.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move

Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
As others have said layout is everything. We also wanted a 6 metre van as we wanted the convenience of keeping it on our drive and like remote minor roads. If you are prioritising a 6 metre PVC, probably the biggest choice is lateral or lengthways beds. I'm too tall for a lateral bed and finally decided on a Rollerteam Toleno L (the Autotrail Expedition 66 is a similar layout) which has lengthways singles or a huge double that works well for us. The other key consideration for us was storage, which will be limited in a 6m PVC. Ensuring your chosen van has underslung water and LPG tanks will make the most of internal storage.

Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi,
Autosleeper seem like a reasonable bet and we prefer such as a Warwick duo layout (singles and double). Warwick XL looks good but too long for us . Also looked at Neuvo too - friends have a 2013 Lancashire so we know the layout but still think we favour panel vans presently.
Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum .

Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
FZ Wellcome to MF. My advice would be to not rush into buying anything. Look around at all the different internals. The outside may look exactly the style you're after, but we don't live on the outside. Have in your mind a short list of things that are very important. Then a longer list of things that would be an added bonus. Be flexible. I knew what I wanted and waited months and months - and now I have it.
If you see a MH you like, regardless of what you are being told, have an experienced motorhomer and a mechanic (who has motorhome experience) have a look. If you are told that it has had a habitation check, then look at the paperwork. It may have been done 5 years ago. Are the sellers lying? No. But they are stretching that truth a long way.
If you see something you like, don't be afraid to post it on here and get some ideas, some advice - MFunner's are a deep mine of information.
And lastly, allow yourself a budget for unseen problems. Every car, MH, Van, bike can have them. If you have given yourself a budget, when something goes wrong (that couldn't be predicted) it takes some of the sting away.
And lastly ... double lastly ... Slow down to the speed of life (in Nature) and enjoy!

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Hello from Scotland 👍😁
Stay away from semi automatic gearboxes
if it’s a fiat Peugeot Citroen (sevel vans)
Most popular panel van conversions need their skylights re sealed after 10 years old
Same with tyres, they are date stamped, 4 numbers ie 2507, which means week 27 of 2007.
Most engines are 2.3 litre diesels these engines have a cam belt which needs changing, make sure it’s been done! Or look for a cam chain engine like a ford puma 2.2 ( transit). I have one in my Citroen relay)
Anything else just ask on here 👍😁

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
We started by having a simple list of wants
Smallest van possible that-
1. You can stand up in
2.Have a toilet and shower (inside)
3.A garage area for 2 ebikes,table BBQ chairs etc
4.A double bed (not above a garage)

We now having started with the above took into account water,power on and off grid,fridge and separate freezer,gas,cooking .
Bought a van that fitted 1 to 4.
Converted it around 2 to 4.Fitted everything else around that.Used it a while and changed a few bits to suit the way we use it.
Now have the perfect van FOR US.
If you can't or don't want to do or have done a bespoke conversion,if at all possible hire before you buy & keep a bit in reserve for alterations,what seemed perfect when you bought it ,will almost certainly have short falls.
Good luck

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Hi,
Thanks
Go to some motorhome rallies
and you will find plenty of owners willing to explain about " their " van
and most will offer you in to see the layout
and give their honest opinions and answer your questions
its why this club is called " Motorhome Fun "
Perhaps Jim can consider re-naming it " Motorhome Fun & Friendly Club "

Apr 8, 2018
East Riding of Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2017
I can only echo what others have said. Having decided on a layout we hired one with a very similar layout! Confirmed the layout with one or two tweaks & settled on a Globecar Globescout in 2017! It has a lateral bed & I have a fold up step to get into bed but our elderly dog sleeps underneath as well as having a good amount of storage for plenty of ‘stuff’. Because I did loads of research, I am super happy with it!! Good luck & hope you find what you want! 😊😊

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
Sage advice I’m sure and something we have looked at but not yet found a rental of the vans we are looking for.
Couldn’t agree more with wet weeks or weekends. Had plenty of those over the years camping.
Camping getting a bit rough for these old arthritic bones and joints. Having said that we are camping for a long weekend in July 24.
Looking at 6m vans.
If you are looking to rent converted panel vans then maybe try www.GoBoony.co.uk or www.quirkycampers.com/uk. That's how we fell in love with self conversions and eventually created our own perfect version of a campervan. Not for everyone for sure but at least you get to build (or have built for you) exactly what you want and it's completely individual to you. It's a very exciting process with a massive reward at the end. And I don't think it works out anymore expensive than buying one "off the shelf" either, unless you go mad!
It's not an instant solution but works very well if you have patience and find the right company to help you achieve your dream.

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Hi,
Thanks
My advice, go for a pvc vehicle over a coach built less chance of water ingress, three years ago while researching ours found the Neuvo still had a wood construction, hence, protential rot, it’s very rare that a car leaks for its welded together not stuck using glue unlike a coach built. Also with a smaller van if you see a nice place you can just stop and park much easier. Good luck in your search.
Hi,
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back