Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi

I've been hankering for a motor home for a long time but with kids and the usual expenses of life it's been too much of a stretch. I am 50 next year and the kids are currently 13 and 11. My wife and I are seriously considering a Motorhome we can use for regular weekend breaks and holidays touring on the continent. I really need to do a lot of research into what we want/need hence joining the forum.

I figure we need a 6 berth as we'd need the space, don't want the son and daughter having to share as that will just create tension not release it.

I really have no idea as haven't done camping since I was a child, other than chalets in European camps.

Any advice gratefully received. I am looking to hire one in May 2018 for a week so we have a practice but would like to figure a lot of what we need want to get the most of that in advance.

Chris

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:welcomesign:w2f
Hi and welcome to the fun
Just don't rush it you might find sumthing before you hire you never know hiring is extremely expensive by the time you have hired lost the criminally high deposit provibiblt for the most trivial of reasons .
You could have found your shelf a reasonably priced motorhome have had a stress free holiday and at the end could probably sell it for what you payed for it
If you buy and sell on the private market there is sum nice motorhomes to be had on her from time to time
Good luck with your serch
Welcome to the best motor home forum around
Wild bill

OP
OP
Chris Richardson

Chris Richardson

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
:welcomesign:w2f
Hi and welcome to the fun
Just don't rush it you might find sumthing before you hire you never know hiring is extremely expensive by the time you have hired lost the criminally high deposit provibiblt for the most trivial of reasons .
You could have found your shelf a reasonably priced motorhome have had a stress free holiday and at the end could probably sell it for what you payed for it
If you buy and sell on the private market there is sum nice motorhomes to be had on her from time to time
Good luck with your serch
Welcome to the best motor home forum around
Wild bill

Yep I hear you I did wince at the £882 hire charge for just 7 nights. I am tempted to just buy and try.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
6 berth sounds like a big van ,You may need to have a seat belt for them all .Have a good look round before you buy lol

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Chris and w2f I think hiring is quite expensive but may be a good idea in the long run.
You will at least see if the kids get on and are not bored.it is a big outlay and soak up as much info as you can on here.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
:hiya::WelcomeFlag:

Hi Chris
Sounds like you'll be needing a big motorhome. We took a while to find the right one for us we looked at lots. Just have a wander round and into every motorhome sales yard you see and look at everything to get ideas...looking on the net is good once you have some idea about how the different layouts feel in reality. I'm not sure about the seat belt thing......as I understand it ...if seat belts are fitted you have to wear them, but you can still travel in unbelted seats...not 100% on this but someone on here will be.....there are lots with 4 belts fitted.... ours has 5 seat belts but it's a 4 berth van. A sun room on the outside might give you the space you desire without having to go for such a big van. All the best in your search.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi and welcome Chris , Visit as many dealers & shows as possible and look inside as many Motorhomes as possible , & when inside them imagine cooking a meal and eating it , and also sitting for hrs inside it ( would it be comfortable for sitting more than 10 mins etc ) Also as others have mentioned Don't forget and overlook the amount of seats with seatbelt's.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
hi and welcome, you've done the right thing by joining here first as some folk buy then join to help with all the mistakes they make.

We are on our third one now and your kids will love it once they get used to it, we have a daughter who is now 19 so has been motorhoming with us for 8 or 9 years and caravan before that. She has seen some lovely and interesting places that most of her friends haven't even heard of :). She has also got the travel bug from us and spent last summer travelling round Europe by train.

Take your time and have a good look at all different layouts, thing what you'll use the van for. If mainly in the UK then you'll need more space as you might spend more time inside due to weather, if its for going abroad then you tend to spend more time sitting outside.

Get yourself along to a few shows as this gives you a chance to see loads of different layouts in the one place, make sure you spend loads of time in it and try and imagine your on holiday. Try the beds for size as you'd be amazed at the number of vans with small beds, get all 4 of you to sit round the table as if your having your dinner. Also make sure you have room to lounge about watching TV or reading.

As there will be 4 of you also check the payload of the van, if its a 6 berth and 3.5T then you'll struggle to keep it under that wieght with all 4 and stuff for a 2 week holiday.

Ask loads of questions on here you will always get a reply, not always a sensible one though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hello and welcome. We are retired but take grandchildren with us. Our first van, 6 berth was great space wisw, but struggled to take all the praphanalia we needed for 3 boys as well as ourselves. Present van is a 4 berth, with a garage, we also have a blow up awning for outdoor space, fine for 4. Would have a good lookat the hire vans available, consider it money well spent. We hired before we bought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back