Heki rooflight leaking (2 Viewers)

Jul 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Hi all
I have a 2015 Ducato I built from new and at the time it was sikaflex pu that was the go to for install because "you never need to remove them' 7 years on and guess whats leaking
Anyone tackled removing them with the 221 I think it was permanent sika
I'm thinking Bosch multi tool with silicone cutter attachment although worried about damage it may also cause, I'm hoping the sealer has all failed and a little force will see the heki pop out nice and clean, it's the 700 X 50p and also a 400 fiamna turbo that need doing
I've ordered plastic scrapers and the sika 710 for refitting plus they now do ready made spacers for the roof! Dremel and lots of window trims back in the day 😳 do I've popped them on order also..any advice or have you done one like this❓

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
If its possible can you get a cheese cutting wire between surface and gently go around seal.

OP
OP
Homer1
Jul 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato
No I had thought of that being in the windscreen trade years back, the inside of the heki is way lower than the seal so would end up cutting though it all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Your multi tool will be fine -get an old used saw blade and sharpen it😉failing that use a sharp paper scraper.
Use Puraflex 40 from tool station -in my opinion a lot cheaper and better than sikaflex 👍 done hundreds 😉 but lots with scraper and sore hands before multi tool 😁

OP
OP
Homer1
Jul 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Thanks pretty much what I was thinking have every tool in the shed on standby and hope for the best
I used a shed load of the pu40 from TS on this and the last build...can't really remember if it was that I put the rooflights in or not to be honest, but as they are all failing I'll try the non setting mastic route this time if I can get them out without breaking them, I've been up and you can see cracks all around the old pu type sealer so it's definitely failed after 7 years maybe sooner but I've not noticed it, I'm just glad I haven't relied on it holding anything else without mechanical fixings like the solar panels 😳

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
W4 mastic on a roll is my preferred sealant for roof vents etc ... Buy appropriate width, trim excess after replacing vent/roof fans.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
And if you do destroy the framework of the heki I have a complete one (minus the dome) under 'bits and peices' in classified.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks pretty much what I was thinking have every tool in the shed on standby and hope for the best
I used a shed load of the pu40 from TS on this and the last build...can't really remember if it was that I put the rooflights in or not to be honest, but as they are all failing I'll try the non setting mastic route this time if I can get them out without breaking them, I've been up and you can see cracks all around the old pu type sealer so it's definitely failed after 7 years maybe sooner but I've not noticed it, I'm just glad I haven't relied on it holding anything else without mechanical fixings like the solar panels 😳
Never had one fail using Puraflex and it’s easy to remove without breaking especially using the buzz saw👍 As to roll mastic that’s what manufacturers use because it’s clean to use - just ask yourself why so many new-ish vans leak 😉

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
W4 mastic on a roll is my preferred sealant for roof vents etc ... Buy appropriate width, trim excess after replacing vent/roof fans.
Awful stuff, I spent 10 years of my life as Technical Manager at W4, no way would I use that.

OP
OP
Homer1
Jul 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato
And if you do destroy the framework of the heki I have a complete one (minus the dome) under 'bits and peices' in classified.
Is it the MK1 I think mine is with the large handle the width of the heki, the mk2 I believe has gas struts also mine doesn't

OP
OP
Homer1
Jul 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Oh just to add this is the 700 X 50p

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Photos with measurements in the add above. Was referred as a heki midi I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back