Heating house while away in winter (1 Viewer)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
if you have a normal gas central heating system in your house to stop it freezing up how low do you set the temperature. Also do you set the time for coldest times of the day ie 4am approx then later in the day ? We normally use our wood burner 95% of the time when at home, but obviously this would not be possible if away. Cheers

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We set our thermostat to 15 degrees and the timer to come on for 2 hours from 4 a.m.- 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Not sure if this is the best way but we are away most winters and haven't had a burst yet.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I set mine on constant at 15 degrees..wasn't expensive as just ticking over.
It was what the insurers required.
I also had to have someone come in weekly to check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We will probably use more gas than when we are at home as heating is hardly ever on due to the stove being alight. Haha.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Our Honeywell wall stat has a setting for time away which would come on at 10c.
it all depends on the type of system you have and the sophistication of the controls. Intelligent room stats are not expensive and are easy to fit, many communicate with the boiler wirelessly. At the upper end you can fit systems controlled by your phone so you can change it as you wish..happy travels.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm away a lot from home..
I leave the heating on all time all year round and just set the stat as required depending on whether I'm home or away..
If away the stat is set to around 12 degrees and the heating comes on and off as required.. seems to work well.
Andy..

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We were away the entire Winter and I just turned everything off including the water at the stop cock outside. Just had some lights coming on and off etc. Within an hour of being home it was as if we'd never even been away...quite surprised really!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Set ours at 10c and on constant so it will come on whenever it gets cold.
Also turn of the water at main stopcock. We also have someone come in on a regular basis just to check all is OK.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Depends on the sort of water system you have we have a cold water tank in the loft so leave the heating on low and the loft hatch open so some heat goes in the loft to stop freezing up there. Set the heating on 10 degrees constant.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
open the internal doors to allow the heat to circulate and turn off the mains pressure system as it is that that leaks and causes the mayhem because it does not stop coming.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Being an ex gas engineer I fitted a programmable room stat in the hall and one in our conservatory, two motorised valves so full control of the system. I turn the mains water off and set both thermostats to frost setting which is 5 degrees, once it reaches 6 degrees it switches off.
It does not warm our home up but prevents burst pipes etc.

John.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well insulated lofts are great for keeping heat in the rooms below but beware if the water pipes/tanks are above the insulation! As has been said leaving loft hatches open will help but wastes a lot of heat. Better to make sure if you can that the water pipes are between the warm room below and the insulation and let the loft be cold.
Separate TRV's on every radiator if you look have an ice crystal symbol on them, this opens the TRV when the room temp gets down to between 2/4 deg C. So you could leave the system switched on and turn each TRV down to frost setting. This works great on combi heating systems but if you have a vented system won't work the same.

Edit, as Johns post above typed at the same time as mine.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Having spent many years in the Household insurance industry, and seen the consequences of damaged caused by burst pipes, avoiding a burst pipe is something that you should consider a priority when leaving your house in the winter.

Putting insurance aside, the fact is that a bad burst will mean your house is uninhabitable for maybe as much as 6 months as the property will only dry at a certain rate no matter how much money you throw at it. You'll be amazed how much water will flow through the house at full mains pressure!

I'd not wish a burst pipe of flood an anyone.

To help prevent a burst pipe, if you've got central heating then set your thermostat to 15%, and leave heating on 24/7. Putting it on for a couple of hours am and pm will not be enough in the event of a cold snap.

Leave internal doors open

Leave your loft hatch open. (An unintended consequence of loft insulation is that lofts get way colder than they did before, and you can have a warm house but loft could be cold enough to freeze pipes.)

If you don't have central heating, turn the water off . Some recommend draining down too, which is the ultimate answer as even with the water off, the amount of water held in the loft tank will still cause a lot of damage should things go pear shaped.

Please note that I'm now retired, and so the advice and information above can only be regarded as personal view and not "official" guidance . (Sorry about the last comment, but when working we were so heavily regulated that arse covering is second nature when talking about insurance type matters!)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My MIL came stay with us one Christmas, she lived in Sussex and while she was away there was a severe cold snap. She got back home to a flooded house from a leak in the roof. Took 9 months or so before she could live there again.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Does anyone Check what their home insurance requirements are?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Having spent many years in the Household insurance industry, and seen the consequences of damaged caused by burst pipes, avoiding a burst pipe is something that you should consider a priority when leaving your house in the winter.

Putting insurance aside, the fact is that a bad burst will mean your house is uninhabitable for maybe as much as 6 months as the property will only dry at a certain rate no matter how much money you throw at it. You'll be amazed how much water will flow through the house at full mains pressure!

I'd not wish a burst pipe of flood an anyone.

To help prevent a burst pipe, if you've got central heating then set your thermostat to 15%, and leave heating on 24/7. Putting it on for a couple of hours am and pm will not be enough in the event of a cold snap.

Leave internal doors open

Leave your loft hatch open. (An unintended consequence of loft insulation is that lofts get way colder than they did before, and you can have a warm house but loft could be cold enough to freeze pipes.)

If you don't have central heating, turn the water off . Some recommend draining down too, which is the ultimate answer as even with the water off, the amount of water held in the loft tank will still cause a lot of damage should things go pear shaped.

Please note that I'm now retired, and so the advice and information above can only be regarded as personal view and not "official" guidance . (Sorry about the last comment, but when working we were so heavily regulated that arse covering is second nature when talking about insurance type matters!)
Top advice. I'd never go away in the cold season without first opening the loft hatch. I too set the heating to 15 degrees & on 24/7.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Screenshot_2016-08-29-11-52-51.png
I also Hive heating control - the system defaults to 7° "frost protection" when system is off.
Do for me.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We are thinking of going away for a month or two early next year.
Plan to switch off water at the meter and drain the pipes (french houses don't have cold water tanks).
Switch off CH system but that contains anti-freeze so should be ok
Will check with insurance co to see if they have any special anti-payout rules.

May have to continuing living in MH for a day or few when we get back though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Just had the annual boiler check from British Gas and was chatting to the engineer telling him that when I was away in winter I left the heating on at 10C. He advised an increase to 15C as he had known cases of burst pipes at 10C. For the marginal additional cost, and the increased security, I am going to take his advice. I always turn off at the mains, a friend came back to a flooded house. The middle of summer, a ball cock had failed on an upstairs toilet - made a real mess of the house!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes but the 7degree frost protection is for the heating system it could be a lot less in the loft not a problem if you have a combi but could be if you have pipes up there. If its only the frost protection you want a hive is a very expensive way of getting it if you are in and out different days different times with no fixed pattern it could be fantastic.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Wonderful device......

Oh, i THINK it MIGHT be cold at home so I'll turn up the heating...

When in reality its already reasonably warm.
If you actually looked at my Hive screen capture - you might notice that Hive monitors current house temperature & target temperature - so no "thinking" involved... :rolleyes:.
System monitors ambient & switches on heating if necessary :whistle:
So sarcasm aside - it is a wonderful device :cool:.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
... if you are in and out different days different times with no fixed pattern it could be fantastic.
Precisely - no unecessarily heating an empty house whilst out, no coming back to a cold home because you haven't adjusted the timer.
I disagree it was expensive...
I needed a replacement programmer, & the original room stat was "vague" at best.
I reckon the cost has been equalled by less wasteful use & more accurate control.
YMMV

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back