Health/travel insurance for longtermers away from UK is a myth

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by sciac2001, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Ratings:
    +814
    This will be correct, in fact this was the basis of my PPI refund claim because I was at sea and away from UK for more than six months in twelve all my PPI was invalid. The fact I was paying UK tax and NI, and was a UK resident as far as HM government was concerned, it was immaterial for insurance companies and banks who have their own definition of what is resident and non resident..

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +700
    Everyone needs to be aware of this when they next renew.....................when they ask if you are a UK resident they do not meant what you expect.............I think I've been a UK "resident" all my life and this was about migrants or new comers etc but no................ it's that 6 months in the last 12.

If anyone gets a company that doesn't ask it would be good to hear about them.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Secret Vardo User

Secret Vardo User Funster

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. I'm guessing that if someone is out of the UK for more than six months in the last twelve then in order to get insurance from anyone they would need to have been in any one particular country for at least six months?

Trying to understand all this so forgive me if it seems obvious to some...

So firstly let's assume that I go off in my motorhome and am out of the UK for say nine months. If for that nine months I was in Germany, the only way I could possibly renew is with a company in Germany and to do so I would require a fixed address in Germany I am guessing? Not to mention a fairly good knowledge of German in order to find and take out a policy.

Taking that further and still assuming I am out the UK for nine months, if I stayed in several other countries, and was in none of them for at least six months, then I wouldn't be able to renew with anyone anywhere?

From a business point of view I can see why companies might shy away from providing such cover. I suspect also that possibly they are discouraged from doing so by the government of whichever country they operate in, as a deterrent to large numbers of people migrating around of their own free will. I am not defending such a policy but I can see, purely from a revenue and taxes point of view, that having large numbers of free roaming migrants is not a good government policy, unfortunately for us.

4. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +700
    Imagine increasing numbers of older and more infirm people spending most of the year in places like........well you guess. Then returning to UK for a couple of months and renewing their travel insurance to cover them for any extensive medical expenses and repatriation etc.

They may be in a motorhome or have a place abroad and sooner or later there is going to be a big claim.
    It was explained to me, that this was the reason for the change, only introduced in the last couple of years..............and after "you know what" I can't see it getting any better.

• Like it Like it x 1