Health/travel insurance for longtermers away from UK is a myth (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Firstly, many thanks to all who have in the past, given me names of Insurance companies and Brokers who might offer Health Insurance cover for our regular extended trips away from UK.
Having tried them all and many many more besides, it seems that anyone who has toured away from the UK for more than 6 months will not be eligible for cover with any of the companies contacted.

If anyone has actual experience to the contrary and is currently covered accordingly, I would be eternally grateful for contact details.

Thanks.

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I am 77 with high blood pressure and cholestrol joint cover for myself and wife ( 60 ) £382 pa with LV max per trip 90 days no limit to no of trips.£20 cheaper if member of CSMA/Boundless
Would appreciate if anybody has better

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We have used the online broker Justtravel.com for the last few years.

Every year we take out a "Single Trip" travel insurance policy, usually from about sept/oct to june/july the next year and name the countries we will be visiting. I then cross off the baggage and cancellation cover (not needed in the van) leaving us with the required medical cover!

As far as I am aware this will provide the cover required. As an example, 11 months cover for a forty-something and a fifty-something (cholesterol and diabetes T2) is £270 pounds - worth it in my eyes.
An annual policy with the same spec is about £40 but is restricted to 60 day trips.

Specify "Single Trip Policy" and pick the length of cover required!!!

PS. Never claimed and hope we never do, but you only usually need it if you haven't got it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks both.

C+C : unfortunately, my requirement is for much longer than 90 days and all done on a single trip.
Dazzlin: I noted Justtravel from one of your earlier posts. I contacted them but they refused to take me on. Its not the length of the trip that is the problem, it is that I have been away from the UK for more than 6 months when applying. All other Insurers/Brokers sing from the same songbook.

Deleted User
Thanks both.

C+C : unfortunately, my requirement is for much longer than 90 days and all done on a single trip.
Dazzlin: I noted Justtravel from one of your earlier posts. I contacted them but they refused to take me on. Its not the length of the trip that is the problem, it is that I have been away from the UK for more than 6 months when applying. All other Insurers/Brokers sing from the same songbook.
Don't think anyone will start a trip insurance when you have already started a trip, bit trying to insure your car after you have had an accident.
I have annual multi trip with 120 day max through Nwide Flexplus account, not cheap though.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Its not the length of the trip that is the problem, it is that I have been away from the UK for more than 6 months when applying

Could you not just get a cheap flight back to the UK and get cover from then?

We have been back a couple of times since september.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Don't think anyone will start a trip insurance when you have already started a trip, bit trying to insure your car after you have had an accident.

Agreed, but this issue originated back in 2014 after I had successfully taken health insurance out for our first 7 months' trip. When we applied for a renewal to do our 2nd trip a couple of months later, we were told (by the same Insurer, Staysure) that because we had stayed away from the Uk for over 6 months on our first trip that they could not insure us again as we were not regarded as resident.
It has been the same tale with all other Insurers ever since.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Agreed, but this issue originated back in 2014 after I had successfully taken health insurance out for our first 7 months' trip. When we applied for a renewal to do our 2nd trip a couple of months later, we were told (by the same Insurer, Staysure) that because we had stayed away from the Uk for over 6 months on our first trip that they could not insure us again as we were not regarded as resident.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Could you not just get a cheap flight back to the UK and get cover from then?

We have been back a couple of times since september.

Yes, but why should it come to that? I have my UK address, pay UK taxes, am on the Electoral Roll and am simply doing what I love doing. Smells of bureaucracy based on ignorance to me. Thks again.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes, but why should it come to that? I have my UK address, pay UK taxes, am on the Electoral Roll and am simply doing what I love doing. Smells of bureaucracy based on ignorance to me. Thks again.
Unfortunately none of that counts. If you are out more than six months what they are saying is actually correct, you aren't 'resident'.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Unfortunately none of that counts. If you are out more than six months what they are saying is actually correct, you aren't 'resident'.

So, I am a "citizen of nowhere"......... Now where have i heard that before?

It just seems ridiculous that no insurer will take us on. Do you know if you would have the same problem with Insurers in Spain, Gus? (Or indeed, do the Dutch and German longtermers have the same issues?)

Deleted User

I think most of these insurances have a clause about being resident for the 6 months prior to the start, I don't know how that works for multi trip policies with longer stays like our 120 day one. Never bothered with one until this year, might not bother when this one runs out especially if the premium goes up.
Edit: Could possibly be connected to the 6 month residency rules discussed in another thread.

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have annual multi trip with 120 day max through Nwide Flexplus account, not cheap though.
You’d be surprised, have had to do it three years running for my son, it’s just a simple disclaimer form supplied by the insurance company. Only reason we’ve had to do it is they don’t send out reminders and he’s already travelled by the time we realise insurance is due.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I use insure and go.
You set the time limit and level of cover.
You can do it online.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So, I am a "citizen of nowhere"......... Now where have i heard that before?

It just seems ridiculous that no insurer will take us on. Do you know if you would have the same problem with Insurers in Spain, Gus? (Or indeed, do the Dutch and German longtermers have the same issues?)
I have no idea regarding here the only way would be to ask the question of them.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
@sciac2001 Would it not be an option to take a insurance with a company that is based in the country where you are touring, just a suggestion

I imagine that I would fall foul of that country's residence requirements, just as I do in UK.
(Plus of course, I tend to tour various countries on each trip.)

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
I use insure and go.
You set the time limit and level of cover.
You can do it online.
From their website
Single and annual trip travel insurance
For both single and annual trip cover, our travel insurance for people aged over 65 will cover you for up to 31 days per holiday. Enough time to bungee jump in New Zealand, cruise around the Caribbean, or simply relax by the pool in Benidorm. And, if you choose an annual multi-trip policy, we can even cover your grandkids for free too!

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
?..we were told (by the same Insurer, Staysure) that because we had stayed away from the Uk for over 6 months on our first trip that they could not insure us again as we were not regarded as resident.
This will be correct, in fact this was the basis of my PPI refund claim because I was at sea and away from UK for more than six months in twelve all my PPI was invalid. The fact I was paying UK tax and NI, and was a UK resident as far as HM government was concerned, it was immaterial for insurance companies and banks who have their own definition of what is resident and non resident..

Secret Vardo User

Free Member
May 21, 2018
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Will be a low profile
Exp
Starting in 2019
Good point. I'm guessing that if someone is out of the UK for more than six months in the last twelve then in order to get insurance from anyone they would need to have been in any one particular country for at least six months?

Trying to understand all this so forgive me if it seems obvious to some...

So firstly let's assume that I go off in my motorhome and am out of the UK for say nine months. If for that nine months I was in Germany, the only way I could possibly renew is with a company in Germany and to do so I would require a fixed address in Germany I am guessing? Not to mention a fairly good knowledge of German in order to find and take out a policy.

Taking that further and still assuming I am out the UK for nine months, if I stayed in several other countries, and was in none of them for at least six months, then I wouldn't be able to renew with anyone anywhere?

From a business point of view I can see why companies might shy away from providing such cover. I suspect also that possibly they are discouraged from doing so by the government of whichever country they operate in, as a deterrent to large numbers of people migrating around of their own free will. I am not defending such a policy but I can see, purely from a revenue and taxes point of view, that having large numbers of free roaming migrants is not a good government policy, unfortunately for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back