Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Just seen this on the Dethleff forum and thought it may affect some on here.

For those wanting brighter headlights . MOT advice .
Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.
Section 4.1.4 now states the following:
“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”
This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.
There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

For a little" light " reading please go to the VOSA Mot testers Manual . It has over 200 pages on lighting for vehicles .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Headlight bulb hokey-cokey it will be come MOT day!

For those frustrated by the dim Fiat glowlights. Don't throw the old ones away.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Knew all about it still fitted LED, it's passed 2 Mot's with them last one at a professional Fiat dealer. A few other Funsters have has them passed without problems.
My ones do look like they should be LED's as the DRL's & Indicators are LED strips within the headlamp unit.

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Need better lighting……..😁

fiat ducato base camper van is built for escaping the city

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Knew all about it still fitted LED, it's passed 2 Mot's with them last one at a professional Fiat dealer. A few other Funsters have has them passed without problems.
My ones do look like they should be LED's as the DRL's & Indicators are LED strips within the headlamp unit.
thank you for giving the insurance industry a reason not to payout in the event of an accident claim with an illegal modification.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
It’s my failing but I do get irritated by those who take the jobsworth “oh no, you shouldn’t do that” approach. We aren’t kids.

Point something out if you think the poster is unaware by all means, but shaking an internet finger at them because YOU disapprove is very sad.

Insurance companies do not fail to pay because of a deviation from the policy.
They are olbiged by law to provide basic cover.

If you’ve totally led them up the garden path, then they try their hardest to avoid a payout.

It depends upon the seriousness, and whether it’s related to the claim.

So a change in headlamp bulb is very unlikely to result in a failure to payout for a claim for a stolen vehicle.

At worst, payouts are reduced pro rata

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So a change in headlamp bulb is very unlikely to result in a failure to payout for a claim for a stolen vehicle.
Especially if its passed an MOT proving the beam alignment is correct.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Do not swap bulbs. This guy is an odd bod. But he explains it very well here in this rant.

PS: He is worth following as more than half his videos are fascinating.

I have set it to play from the rant.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
My son changed his in mazda mx5 to LEDs passed first years mot since fitting yet for his test in 2022 they failed and would not let him leave till they was changed so it is not just motorhomes.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I have recently had a cataract operation. I am amazed at how much brighter and colourful everything has suddenly become. Unsurprisingly, my Fiat main beam is also much brighter! The difference (very obvious after the first eye is done and before the second) is like illuminating a room with “cold” (white) LEDs rather than “warm” LEDs. I have even had to turn down the brightness and colour saturation on the TV.

As cataracts take some years to develop, I had not realised how much vision I had lost. As most Funsters are perhaps not in the early years of life, I wonder if some who complain of dim headlight performance may have reached the stage I had done with cataracts. With the new Fiat based MoHo we bought earlier this year, I had seriously thought of changing the headlight bulbs. I do not think this is necessary now.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have recently had a cataract operation. I am amazed at how much brighter and colourful everything has suddenly become. Unsurprisingly, my Fiat main beam is also much brighter! The difference (very obvious after the first eye is done and before the second) is like illuminating a room with “cold” (white) LEDs rather than “warm” LEDs. I have even had to turn down the brightness and colour saturation on the TV.

As cataracts take some years to develop, I had not realised how much vision I had lost. As most Funsters are perhaps not in the early years of life, I wonder if some who complain of dim headlight performance may have reached the stage I had done with cataracts. With the new Fiat based MoHo we bought earlier this year, I had seriously thought of changing the headlight bulbs. I do not think this is necessary now.
Millcourt I made a very similar statement last time this topic came up..
It is not just cataracts but is also a proven fact that the older generation have much reduced night vision than when we were young.
Remember when you would go whizzing around the dark country lanes and never thought twice about it and that was with old style headlights even before halogen lights. 👍👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Bright ? Gods Quartz Halogen......... NOW THATS BRIGHT !!
Tea Bag...... " The Sun has got its Hat on......... " :ROFLMAO: 🚛

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Millcourt I made a very similar statement last time this topic came up..
It is not just cataracts but is also a proven fact that the older generation have much reduced night vision than when we were young.
Remember when you would go whizzing around the dark country lanes and never thought twice about it and that was with old style headlights even before halogen lights. 👍👍
I think most of us as we get older hate driving in the dark.
When we were younger could never understand when older people said they didn't like driving in the dark, fully understand now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do not swap bulbs. This guy is an odd bod. But he explains it very well here in this rant.

PS: He is worth following as more than half his videos are fascinating.

I have set it to play from the rant.

And not a mention of the effect on the canbus system.
A bit of LIGHT entertainment but I wouldn't take a lot of notice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When we were younger could never understand when older people said they didn't like driving in the dark, fully understand now.
I was nearly into a wall above a low grass bank the other night.
Mainly because of the crap Hyundai headlamps and deminishing night vision..
Katur H7 LEDs soon in both main and dip and bugger the mot.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Aye I've got there already . Unfortunately I have to do it when working

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Sorry yes on my box again.
a) led lamps have different focal lengths to halogen and halogen headlamp units are designed to work on that focal length
b) this causes light scatter which can dazzle oncoming drivers
c) motorsport has tested and found that short distance may be better long distance main beam not as focused and do not pick out objects as well as a good halogen bulb in a unit designed for halogen lamps.

think of all the youngsters in their “slammed” golfs which dazzle you with LEDs that’s why as their headlamp unit not designed for LED lamps (bulbs).

why do you think it is an MOT failure, it’s because it can dazzle other road users!

if you are struggling in the dark as other said, look at your own vision, cataract lens replacement makes a heck of a difference, slightly dearer than LEDs!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
a) led lamps have different focal lengths to halogen and halogen headlamp units are designed to work on that focal length
c) motorsport has tested and found that short distance may be better long distance main beam not as focused and do not pick out objects as well as a good halogen bulb in a unit designed for halogen lamps.

think of all the youngsters in their “slammed” golfs which dazzle you with LEDs that’s why as their headlamp unit not designed for LED lamps (bulbs).

why do you think it is an MOT failure, it’s because it can dazzle other road users!

if you are struggling in the dark as other said, look at your own vision, cataract lens replacement makes a heck of a difference, slightly dearer than LEDs!
Nah

I'll stick with the brighter bulbs lol

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I was nearly into a wall above a low grass bank the other night.
Mainly because of the crap Hyundai headlamps and deminishing night vision..
Katur H7 LEDs soon in both main and dip and bugger the mot.
Hi pappajohn.
You need the Rubber front mudguard GPO Morris 8. van. Series E , but known as the series Z. 1940-53 ? get it bought. Of course,it could have been the wall jumping out on you..................................... just saying like....................... ;)
Tea Bag

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

It really comes down to the lamp and reflector design, I know they can be a problem in a lot of reflector headlamp units. But LED's if set up correctly work really well in a lot of projector headlamps. In my Hella projector lamps the beam pattern is far better and less scattered than with the halogen builds especially in the flat dipping postion, which is important as my van is LHD.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
If you have watched a programme on TV called Vintage Voltage there is a Company in Newtown that converts old cars to EV's. They would like to fit LED lights bt do ot as it is not allowed by law.

Somebody earlier on suggested that people who obeyed the law was a jobsworth. To my mind that is a very inappropriate statement. People can inadvertently break the law of the land unknowingly, but to transgress the law knowingly is foolhardy.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
They are legal in Germany so can't be unsafe maybe our mot checks/ regulations are a little dated just saying 😉

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
They are legal in Germany so can't be unsafe maybe our mot checks/ regulations are a little dated just saying 😉

Theses look to be a great product. Unfortunately the limited list of Countries where they are currently approved for legal road use does not include the UK. Perhaps Osram will be seeking the necessary approval. 🤞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back