Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
So we are on our way for a week in the motorhome, all's going well then wife shouts turn left you want to go there do I do, oh bigger she says wrong road,we are now on the M6 toll road,I said it was a easy mistake,shock horror when we get to the toll booth I put my card on and on we sail I say to wife don't worry it's only about a fiber,she looks at receipt and shrinks down on her seat, says I don't think so,how about Ā£11.80, What I said,I thoughts Dick Turpin died years ago what a rip off.šŸ˜ šŸ˜ 

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Never managed to work out why they put motorway services in the midst of the M6 toll. Anyone prepared to pay the high toll costs to save on a queue on the standard M6 route, isn't going to then do a leisurely stop off mid way through their travel average speedboost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Only been on it once when at 0200am the normal M6 was shut for maintenance and the diversion was onto the Toll section without any prior warning,
Rolled upto the toll both and refused to pay, when he saw he wasnā€™t getting anywhere and standing in front to take my number down we where allowed onward passage, result:LOL: never heard anything about it since,

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Never managed to work out why they put motorway services in the midst of the M6 toll. Anyone prepared to pay the high toll costs to save on a queue on the standard M6 route, isn't going to then do a leisurely stop off mid way through their travel average speedboost.
My son worked on there in the shop just after it opened. It was /is quiet busy. Like you say it doesn't make sense really. :doh:

Upvote 0

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I often stop off for a break there. It's part of the whole relaxation period away from the traffic on the normal M6.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

It's like shopping at M&S Food Hall. Some people like to have a better class of traveller to share the toilets with.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's like shopping at M&S Food Hall. Some people like to have a better class of traveller to share the toilets with.

And actually, to be fair, on the French autoroutes, I tend to choose tolled service areas for the same reason. There is a fraction of the level of undesirables trying to break in. I wouldn't choose to spend the night on a free section autoroute aire.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have used it 3 times this week during busy times and although not a bargain it saves a lot of time for the 11 miles I did. If using end to end it is a little under a pound a mile.
I would not bother at night though as the M6 would be nearly as empty

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ā£11.80? :unsure: For some reason I have in my mind we paid Ā£14 around 5 ys ago.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
They were always busy at weekends as they did a mean fish and chips, not so sure now though

Upvote 0
May 19, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T30 hitop conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Was my go to route as member of C&MC was Ā£5'ish, avoided horrible section M6 and great services for dog owners as quite large field walk area. Roughly 2hr point from mine so good stop time. Will probably pay Ā£11 this time too as still prefer it.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

When I as driving for a travel company in VW T5 minibus if we stopped at the services and passengers bought anything the toll was free.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
No actually Dick Turpin is alive and well and lives in France šŸ˜

No mate! he is alive and well living here in Cornwall, he rents B&Bs and Holiday rentals, Camp sites , and Pubs, like the Paris Hotel in Coverack, where he'll charge you Ā£6 and more for a pint and Ā£4 for a bag of chips, if you are foolish enough to venture thro his door!
Fortunately, the locals are wise to his rip offs, and tiz only the emmets that get rooked.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I don't think you were robbed. It saves quite a bit of time and it's the best bit of motorway in Britain. The services are nice too. It saves more time than you think and we always take it

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Always use it when on our route to the Chunnel and back were on holiday, just a point that A. S. R. Mentioned above can you stay the night at the services.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Always use it if I want to get on the A38 to travel east. Cuts out a busy part of the A5 through Cannock and as a bonus I donā€™t have to go near tonka ā€˜s house. :rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back