Have I killed my reversing cam? wiring advice please...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
I’ve got one of these Dash cam / Reversing cam combo set, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19555495...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
which despite being quite Chinese is, in itself, of excellent quality with an OE look and astonishingly good picture.

The tail camera’s field of view however is rather narrow, so as I have to reverse out of my drive blind, I’ve tried it with an older wide angle camera I’ve got, switching at the AV plug on the display.
The original camera has no other power supply, whereas the alternative has a separate +&- feed. Now I’ve got no reverse image at all! So I’m guessing the set has some non-std pinout in the AV plug, which I’ve shorted. The set’s camera has a 5 pin plug on it, if that makes a difference.

Can anyone advise a) if there’s anything to be done with the current unit, or have I bricked it?
and b) if I bought another whether I could reconfigure the cable to take the feed from (say) an integrated style brake-lamp camera?
Or should I just keep the reverse camera and dash cam functions separate.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Is the dash cam for both forward AND Reverse ie 2 cameras from the new chinese piece of kit?
If its any help, I wired my static chinese camera fitted on the back as a constant rear view as you cannot see through my van.
My dash cam is a forward facing sat nav/ dash cam combo device separate to the rear view camera, but both are powered from my 12v cigarette lighter socket in the front on a double input connector.
The rear view camera cables were tricky, very thin and seemed to have been messed about with by the previous owner who had the power feed only coming on when reverse gear was engaged, taking power from the reversing light.
As I wanted a constant feed I had to extend the power cable to the front, and the extended run of cable does not bode well with the picture quality, as the signal for the camera seems to get interfearance from the power cable, but it does work.
Think a combined dash cam/ reversing camera might be a bit tricky, but I am by no means an expert on this.
Good luck 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
Yes, there's a forward facing one on the back of the mirror, and a little bullet cam in the kit that I've mounted on the back. It is powered on it's own single cable, which results in an OE quality experience: until you want to change the camera...
It is possible to configure it where the screen only comes on when reverse is selected by adding a feed from the rev lamp, but like you I've no rear window so appreciate the "always on" feature.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back