Has anyone tried solar powered mining of crypto-currencies (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
One of the projects I could run on my secondary solar system is solar powered crypto mining. A Raspberry Pi can be powered via a micro-USB port, and adding an ASIC mining card could provide a cheap mining rig. It's probably too late to mine Bitcoin, but some of the alts might be worth it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Aha, my next crackpot project comes to light. I hate the idea of selling the overproduction of my 4 kw solar array back to the grid for a pittance, although they do pay me 50% of what I produce. Most speak to my semi tame professor about this tonight. It may give me some respite from his constant nagging for me to buy a family sized mobility scooter, ie, Tesla.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Who is this 596? It isn't me, I'm not a number.

If it helps to know it - I own WildBrambles.com ( plus a few other domain names ), Although I haven't developed the Wild Brambles site yet.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'm waiting for spring so that I can take a photo to use as an avatar.
Or I could use the LDV ( Luxurious Dwelling Vehicle ).

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
One of the projects I could run on my secondary solar system is solar powered crypto mining. A Raspberry Pi can be powered via a micro-USB port, and adding an ASIC mining card could provide a cheap mining rig. It's probably too late to mine Bitcoin, but some of the alts might be worth it.

I would guess you are wasting your time mining, saw a picture last year of a guy with racks of computers mining bitcoin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A quick Google suggests it takes around 35,000 KWh of electricity to mine one bitcoin. So if you had 1000W of solar on the roof and parked somewhere near the Equator for ten hours a day it would take you about 10 years to mine one bitcoin, assuming your machine was using a KW, if it was a lot less, say 100W then it will take around 100 years and probably considerably longer as the difficulty of mining increases with time.

I'm way out of date but from what I last heard the days of individuals making money from bitcoin mining in their bedroom (or MH :)) are over unless you have the money to invest in a huge amount of hardware and can get cheap electricity. A number of bitcoin mining operations have moved to Iceland as their geothermal electricity is fairly cheap I gather.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A quick Google suggests it takes around 35,000 KWh of electricity to mine one bitcoin. So if you had 1000W of solar on the roof and parked somewhere near the Equator for ten hours a day it would take you about 10 years to mine one bitcoin, assuming your machine was using a KW, if it was a lot less, say 100W then it will take around 100 years and probably considerably longer as the difficulty of mining increases with time.

I'm way out of date but from what I last heard the days of individuals making money from bitcoin mining in their bedroom (or MH :)) are over unless you have the money to invest in a huge amount of hardware and can get cheap electricity. A number of bitcoin mining operations have moved to Iceland as their geothermal electricity is fairly cheap I gather.

Damn...Another brainwave bubble is burst. I was so looking forward to this project...Next year we were going to be millionaires Rodders.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I did state that it is probably too late to mine Bitcoin blocks. But it is still possible to mine coins that use scrypt , and there are other alt coins that use SHA256. Some of the new ones are also ASIC resistant - some of the new privacy coins for example.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I guess the answer to my question is "no" then.

Has anyone here actually got any Bitcoin? I run a full node in my van. ( with a bit of help from McDonalds ).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess the answer to my question is "no" then.

Has anyone here actually got any Bitcoin? I run a full node in my van. ( with a bit of help from McDonalds ).
Give it a go is all I can suggest. :) It may not make you any money but it could be fun. I thought about doing it years ago but was too mean to buy the kit. I should have - too late now. :)

There are syndicates who work together, might be worth looking at that option.

If you search on here for "bitcoin" you might find a few threads - if they haven't been sent to the Belly Locker!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have a small bit of 1 coin, haven't looked lately but I doubt it's worth more than I paid.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Current price is 6,387.70 GBP

Do you want to sell your coins?

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
personally I prefer share shortening you can have a bit of fun and not gambol to much

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It may have changed, but most who were mining coin in any form were using GPU rather than CPU as the numeric crunching power of graphics cards were far superior on cost of hardware vs energy use. Now they've moved on to this ASIC device. Not sure you'd get one to link to a Rasberry Pi and would the Pi be able to cope with the necessary data throughput?

But key must be the amount of power the devices would need. An average MH solar panel might be 100W. But that's when the sun is in the right place and not hidden by cloud so only part of the day. So how long will you be able to run your device for and how much juice will it need?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Haven’t a clue what he’s talking about, my dad would have if he was still alive as he was a pit deputy.

I used to install and maintain Dowty hydraulic pit props.
But I’ve no idea what the op is on about.

If it’s dust free it’s got my vote though ?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
All my ASiCs are sat in a drawer gathering dust now, the stable door is well and truly open and the horse has died of exposure..
My gaming rig was flat out for two years solid 24/7/365, god knows what I paid in leccy bill TBH
I think I had 13 BTC at one point but they were in my trading account and there were rumours it was going under and they froze all withdrawals of BTC so I sold them all for DOGE and withdrew those instead. I still have those DOGE, all 500,000 of them... worth F all mind :crying1::crying1:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back