Has anyone else found the new tunnel site almost impossible. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Been looking at getting a crossing in July but you can't just choose the day that's cheapest ,you have got to state a day and it then comes up with various prices dependent on the day chosen then if you try to move the date a day it has a fit and moves a week then it's past your return and you have to start all over again.
Almost impossible to find a cheap crossing like you used to with the old one.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Chas I fathomed it out last night when I booked for September. It’s a bit less clunky than it was last week but I don’t think it’s as good as it was before. It’s functional now even though you have to have an idea first at the times you want to go, then it gives you a price👍

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Chas I fathomed it out last night when I booked for September. It’s a bit less clunky than it was last week but I don’t think it’s as good as it was before. It’s functional now even though you have to have an idea first at the times you want to go, then it gives you a price👍
Yeah that's it, you can't just look by price , when we book we aren't stuck with one day we can go anytime and used to just pick a rough time we would be going then move the days and times to suit but it seems to have stopped that now and you have to commit to a certain day without knowing how much it's going to cost.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
As an aside, I’d Love to have a French national and an U.K. national book the same days and same times just to see if the U.K. pays more
You could try using a VPN on a second device and set your location to France , see if there's a difference ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Ok, so does anyone with a vpn set up want to do a U.K./EU price comparison for a return journey, same size moho, same day/time trains just to put my curiosity to bed?😃😃😏

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
As an aside, I’d Love to have a French national and an U.K. national book the same days and same times just to see if the U.K. pays more
Yes you do, I compared it with booking it from NL using my mums address, unless they have changed it we do pay more, we have to pay to get out of the UK, tourists have choices so need to be convinced 🤷🏻‍♂️👍

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Eurotunnel use dynamic pricing, adjusting their ticket prices according to demand, seasonality, and crossing time. So the cheapest fares will generally be in low season, mid week and un-sociable hours.. ie midnight - 6am

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I looked yesterday but the Ferry was £230 cheaper. Back to the ferry for me after many years of the tunnel
Yes although I hate boats and love the tunnel experience, we have a couple of triple Tesco vouchers left to use but now with the ridiculous prices now and now this website they will probably be the last trips on the train. :(

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Eurotunnel use dynamic pricing, adjusting their ticket prices according to demand, seasonality, and crossing time. So the cheapest fares will generally be in low season, mid week and un-sociable hours.. ie midnight - 6am
Yes but now they have made it that you can't easily find them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I have booking for next month on the midday on a Thursday .. total is £354 less £90 Tesco vouchers = £264

A PO ferry , same day same times, is £269 ..

so the Tesco Vouches make the tunnel cheaper but even without vouchers, I would still choose Le Shuttle

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have booking for next month on the midday on a Thursday .. total is £354 less £90 Tesco vouchers = £264

A PO ferry , same day same times, is £269 ..

so the Tesco Vouches make the tunnel cheaper but even without vouchers, I would still choose Le Shuttle
As a rule I feel just the same but when you start looking at £350 it's getting a bit much and we in fact have a £90 voucher for the next one and a£45 for the next but if they don't alter that will be it I'm afraid.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I was looking peak times August return September Tunnel was in excess of £500 then £24 each way for the dog.
Ferry £230 less including dog lounge access which is £12 each way.
No brainer really. Tunnel is getting far to expensive for those of us that need to travel at certain times and dates.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had a go and it’s shite!!! Don’t know if it’s fat fingers but I did a dummy booking out early July and back mid September at the times we normally go and it’s £702😳😳 as I normally book last minute the most I have paid is £420 with the 2 dogs included.
Seems the ferries may be getting busier 🤔🤔

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Had a go and it’s shite!!! Don’t know if it’s fat fingers but I did a dummy booking out early July and back mid September at the times we normally go and it’s £702😳😳 as I normally book last minute the most I have paid is £420 with the 2 dogs included.
Seems the ferries may be getting busier 🤔🤔
Glad it's not just me 👍 it seems ridiculous compared to the old one. The most we have ever paid was £280 before Tesco reduction.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I paid £333 out 31/08 @5.56am back 15/09 @7.20am it’s seems every route out of the U.K. has gone up somewhat🤷‍♂️

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Bit more than that Westy66, he has to wait until after school so travels at peak time, and on peak days. Midweek is always cheaper.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes.
As a rule of thumb is is cheaper to book a Continent to UK return than UK to Continent return.

I used have a work colleague who lived in Sweden and used the Hoek/Harwich/Hoek return several times a year booked and paid for in Sweden.
He had a UK passport and UK registered vehicle.
Eventually Stena Line (a Swedish company) wrote him a stern Email and said he could not do it any more.

By then he had a Swedish passport and Swedish registered car, so stayed with the reduced Swedish rates for the crossing, which as he used it every 3-4 months added up to a fair bit of money every year.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
You need to be aware that the website has been shite for at least the last week. I needed to amend a booking and I have been trying since last Thursday. Finally I called them (make sure you use the right telephone number otherwise you will be charged)
The woman I spoke to said that with the introduction of Le Shuttle website form what was Eurotunnel it has been chaos. Telephone calls taking a very long while to answer because the website has gremlins (think Caravan club). Before I telephoned as an aside I got fares coming up at £14!!!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You need to be aware that the website has been shite for at least the last week. I needed to amend a booking and I have been trying since last Thursday. Finally I called them (make sure you use the right telephone number otherwise you will be charged)
The woman I spoke to said that with the introduction of Le Shuttle website form what was Eurotunnel it has been chaos. Telephone calls taking a very long while to answer because the website has gremlins (think Caravan club). Before I telephoned as an aside I got fares coming up at £14!!!
Did you book them?

Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
As we live close tend to use shuttle out and Irish Ferries back. Best ferry price and still do it the proper way with decent food etc. Not like P&O slave labour shite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back