Handy (under MH) spare wheel gizmo (1 Viewer)

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
My spare wheel is under my MH bang in the middle of the back half of the chassis so to check/inflate the tyre pressure is a nightmare, luckily I found these little gems to save me crawling underneath every time I do the job, which is frequently.
Unfortunately one wasn't long enough to reach the skirt of the body (they are each 70cm long) so I had to buy 2 and join them (which is just scewing the fitments together) but I also found an elbow valve extender which means the hose doesn't come vertically off the wheel and hang down. The clamp attaches anywhere handy around the skirt or near the edge of the MH.
At £20 each (£40 for the 2 shown) they're not cheap but worth it to me as I don't want to be crawling under there in all weather's every time I check the pressures. The elbow was a couple of quid.
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
My spare wheel is under my MH bang in the middle of the back half of the chassis so to check/inflate the tyre pressure is a nightmare, luckily I found these little gems to save me crawling underneath every time I do the job, which is frequently.
Unfortunately one wasn't long enough to reach the skirt of the body (they are each 70cm long) so I had to buy 2 and join them (which is just scewing the fitments together) but I also found an elbow valve extender which means the hose doesn't come vertically off the wheel and hang down. The clamp attaches anywhere handy around the skirt or near the edge of the MH.
At £20 each (£40 for the 2 shown) they're not cheap but worth it to me as I don't want to be crawling under there in all weather's every time I check the pressures. The elbow was a couple of quid.View attachment 171905View attachment 171906

Great idea (y)

Where did you buy them ?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Will try local hydraulic hose supplier to make one up full length, and post price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Great idea (y)

Where did you buy them ?
Got them on ebay here:

I can't find the elbow one but if you search "90 degree tyre valve extension there are loads of them.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I find it very difficult to kick the spare tyre as well so they look useful

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Tempting fate............
In nearly 9 years I've never checked the spare for pressure or even attempted to get it off. It has been off of course, when I replaced the out of date tyre with a good one when renewing the tyres, and Dave Newell checks it when it gets serviced. The only puncture I've had was while on a campsite (in the wilds of Morocco) and a local came out and fixed it for me.
As I said, tempting fate............:wait:

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Tempting fate............
In nearly 9 years I've never checked the spare for pressure or even attempted to get it off. It has been off of course, when I replaced the out of date tyre with a good one when renewing the tyres, and Dave Newell checks it when it gets serviced. The only puncture I've had was while on a campsite (in the wilds of Morocco) and a local came out and fixed it for me.
As I said, tempting fate............:wait:
:D:D:DOr...... rather than depend on that most scientific of methods - "fate", why not opt for something a little more active, it's called "maintenance" and if something happens you're prepared for it. Just my off the wall thinking, I know it'll never catch on......:whistle:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The 90 degree elbow is readily available at motorcycle outlets. I needed one to pump up my small diameter scooter tyres because there wasn't enough clearance on the wheel to use the normal connector.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:D:D:DOr...... rather than depend on that most scientific of methods - "fate", why not opt for something a little more active, it's called "maintenance" and if something happens you're prepared for it. Just my off the wall thinking, I know it'll never catch on......:whistle:
Isn't that what "TyrePal" is used for.:cautious::D2

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
(y)(y)
Isn't that what "TyrePal" is used for.:cautious::D2
It is, but it doesn't solve the problem of having to crawl under the MH to inflate when the "Tyrepal" tells you it needs done.(y):sneaky:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Oh it still gets maintenance - just not by me. If ever I need to use the spare, that's what I've got breakdown cover for! Although I'm happy that with the maintenance it does get I could cope.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
The only problem with extenders is that it makes the valve on the tyre "live" , then if any of the joints in the system becomes a little loose you loose all of the air in your tyre.

I found this out to my cost on my Mercedes 616 based Hymer which was fitted with dual wheels.

Andrew

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
At £20 each (£40 for the 2 shown) they're not cheap but worth it to me as I don't want to be crawling under there in all weather's every time I check the pressures. The elbow was a couple of quid.View attachment 171905View attachment 171906
I was lucky enough to win one in a raffle and used it for around 10 years on our 2 previous motorhomes. Found it very useful and convenient.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a long tyre 'pipe' for years and years, it certainly didn't cost anything like the above and hasn't given us any problems at all.

Can't remember what make ours is but if you do a search for 'spare wheel air extension' you should get various options.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
When I got my Kingham in April, I found a valve and dust cap mounted under the rear offside bumper and on closer inspection, found that it was connected to the spare wheel. Excellent idea (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back