Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 27, 2020
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Advice please. I am considering getting a handbrake extender as the O/H does not feel comfortable about not being able to use the handbrake without almost getting out of the seat, and it would be nice to share some driving. The Rare Spares version seems to make it the fly off type - I don't think she would be happy with this arrangement. Are there any available alternatives and what experiences do others have. MH is Peugeot Boxer base.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I have used the Rare Spares handbrake extender for over 14 years, I understand your concern with using, but easy to adapt to it...its handy as it has a pin that can be pulled out and drop the handle, so as to allow the drivers seat to swivel.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted a Rare Spares to our PVC when we had it and the Rare Spares version is not really like a fly-off handbrake as the lever acts like you pushing the handbrake button and with you keeping the backwards pressure on the Rare Spares lever, you let the handbrake down as you would normally.

Our 1954 Swallow Doretti has a fly-off handbrake so I know what it feels like to use one. (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I fitted a Rare Spares to our PVC when we had it and the Rare Spares version is not really like a fly-off handbrake as the lever acts like you pushing the handbrake button and with you keeping the backwards pressure on the Rare Spares lever, you let the handbrake down as you would normally.

Our 1954 Swallow Doretti has a fly-off handbrake so I know what it feels like to use one. (y)
Swallow Doretti….a bit of a rarity these days. I had a TR4 which probably has the same setup? I agree, easy enough to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Advice please. I am considering getting a handbrake extender as the O/H does not feel comfortable about not being able to use the handbrake without almost getting out of the seat, and it would be nice to share some driving. The Rare Spares version seems to make it the fly off type - I don't think she would be happy with this arrangement. Are there any available alternatives and what experiences do others have. MH is Peugeot Boxer base.
I have recently fitted one to my ducato...it takes a bit of getting used to , but once you use it a few times it's easy...not sure the wife will manage though , even though its her who has the problem with the handbrake...

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Best thing I bought for the motorhome! I can now drive it safely! I think it’s a Kobran one, but any is better than ducking down below the steering wheel to let off the handbrake! 😱
PS I am a wife….!😂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back