LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Motorhomes are not like cars in the way they depreciate.
A friend of ours bought a coachbuilt carthargo from some show in Germany 15 years ago. Payed £49000 including vat. It's done 90000 k, and it's still worth between £30000-£40000.
And it lhd built on a sprinter

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Lovely......That's so British!.:giggle:

Me? I'm down in the gutter slugging it out making them cry trying to squeeze the deal I want.:D
British????
It's not bare nuckle street fighter style, more jinja style - silent and deadly - they never see me coming

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Will European dealers supply RHD vehicles to British spec at the same big discounts?
Hymer will €1500 extra don't think any other manufacturers will, our last Hymer was RHD brought in Belgium, current van LHD. You are better buying LHD as you can sell it anywhere in Europe RHD stuck with selling in UK.

What I like about buying in Europe is you don't need to haggle they automatically give you their best price, also German vans have a pan European warranty so you can take them to any dealer in Europe for warranty work.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good advise but I bet you will just meet the usual resistance and BS!lol

I want to get the new Ford Fiesta red Econetic S model, so popped into dealer on way back from brighton yesterday, have arranged test drive for Tuesday as they have demonstrator on the way....

So we sat down to discuss figures, I told him I always come here as closest dealer but never buy as you never get anywhere near rival dealers. This invigorated him to offer a paltry less than £400 discount on a 16k plus car. Got home, went on line, and two well known online brokers offered discounts of £3.5k, car delivered to my door.

Have printed quotes to show dealer after test drive. So a broker can make his commission, supplying ford dealer his, and I still get a £3.5 k plus discount. How can they do it and not my local dealer. Motorhomes no different
Ford are famous for being overpriced. Discounts of up to 40% not uncommon on some models if you know who and how to ask. I would never buy a new Ford because of their pricing policy, which effectively fleeces the unwary.

This article is several years out of date and suggests things might have changed. I don't believe they have. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...6/Mr-Money-Ford-finally-focuses-on-price.html

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Lovely......That's so British!.:giggle:

Me? I'm down in the gutter slugging it out making them cry trying to squeeze the deal I want.:D

I agree. . You can only tighten a nut so far before something has to give.

All this talk of squeezing them and making them cry and tightening nuts so far, makes me think I better let the wife do the next "negotiation"...... :wink::RollEyes:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Good advise but I bet you will just meet the usual resistance and BS!lol

I want to get the new Ford Fiesta red Econetic S model, so popped into dealer on way back from brighton yesterday, have arranged test drive for Tuesday as they have demonstrator on the way....

So we sat down to discuss figures, I told him I always come here as closest dealer but never buy as you never get anywhere near rival dealers. This invigorated him to offer a paltry less than £400 discount on a 16k plus car. Got home, went on line, and two well known online brokers offered discounts of £3.5k, car delivered to my door.

Have printed quotes to show dealer after test drive. So a broker can make his commission, supplying ford dealer his, and I still get a £3.5 k plus discount. How can they do it and not my local dealer. Motorhomes no different
Your local dealer will be lucky to get 10% discount, how these brokers manage their deals is beyond me, I know big fleet buyers can get up to 40% maybe its a spin off from that.

Motorhomes I can assure you are totally different in the way they are marketed by converters, they are not mass produced on a robotic factory assembly line that has to be kept rolling !

Peter

Peter

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
As mentioned before I would like to buy a Ford Transit Chausson 610. I went to the NEC show and asked for prices, to be told that they will not negotiate or discount as there is only a limited number of RHD being built and that is it, Because they are the Motorhome of the Year they can sell everyone the can get and may even put a premium on them, that and the Euro being so low means whoppee time for the dealers. Then there is the £2000 delivery and PDI charge puts the full list price from the maker up by a big %% so that is that. I do not buy one and as a cash buyer I get to keep my money and they hopefully get stuck with the bloody things and end up discounting at the end of the season shows. What I may do is look to going to dealers in Germany and seeing about LHD higher end market, second hand or ex rental a year old or so and getting better for the same money or cheaper. I do not know about buying new from France but suspect they will not play either. I can sell mine at a much better rate than any dealer will offer in Partex so that is what will happen but I will keep it until the time to change is most favourable. The alternative is to buy ex rental at the end of the next season.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Your local dealer will be lucky to get 10% discount, how these brokers manage their deals is beyond me, I know big fleet buyers can get up to 40% maybe its a spin off from that.

Motorhomes I can assure you are totally different in the way they are marketed by converters, they are not mass produced on a robotic factory assembly line that has to be kept rolling !

Peter

Peter

dumb de de dum de de..Now where did I put that box of kleenex:D

Only pulling your leg Peter and I know you are good peoples as have used your services a few times for bike racks. but I have no interest In UK vans for the very same reasons..They just can't compete with the economies of scale of the big European firms:coffee:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What I may do is look to going to dealers in Germany and seeing about LHD higher end market, second hand or ex rental a year old or so and getting better for the same money or cheaper. I do not know about buying new from France but suspect they will not play either. I can sell mine at a much better rate than any dealer will offer in Partex so that is what will happen but I will keep it until the time to change is most favourable. The alternative is to buy ex rental at the end of the next season.

wise man! :)

20 new on here available now: Broken Link Removed

from approx €40K + the dreaded = approx £35K on the road here

L*********s want over £50,000:rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They were the ones that I spoke to at NEC. This looks a no brainer really but there are probably better vans there for the equivalent price of those models in UK

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Ok let's see who has what ....name your motorhome manufacturer and what you like about them...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They were the ones that I spoke to at NEC. This looks a no brainer really but there are probably better vans there for the equivalent price of those models in UK

most definitely...If the rumoured fall in euro does hit the 1.50 mark, I can get a Carthago or Hymer A class on the road here for approx £46K....fingers and everything crossed:whistle:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ok let's see who has what ....name your motorhome manufacturer and what you like about them...
2013 AutoSleeper Broadway FB. Dealer is 15 miles away, manufacturer 150 miles away and I have had excellent service from both.
What do I like about it? Good solid build, exactly the right layout for us, warranty service available throughout Europe on the vehicle ( Peugeot) drives well and reliable.
We looked a literally hundreds of vans before we bought ours, even dealers throughout France, but nothing felt as well made. Lots of European vans, we found, had rather flimsy looking interiors.
I would have like onboard water tanks and pipework, but I have heard of quite a few "fully winterised" foreign vans having problems in very cold weather.
What really surprised me was the amount of foreign van owners wanting to look inside the van when we are on aires, and all of them impressed that it is built on a Peugeot.
Anyway, we like it, I couldn't be a***d to travel too far to buy one.
Allan

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

We have a Hymer, like the build quality and the fact it is winterised.

If you click on peoples avatar it will pop up and usually with peoples motorhome details.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp

Bailey Advance.

There seems to be a lot of de facto statements on this thread, and certainly Bailey have had their fair share of complaints, but I doubt no more than any other manufacturer. Considering they have only been building motorhomes for around four years, they seem to be offering a product that offers choice, well tested and good value for money.

It appears there is no such thing as a problem free MH, if you think so have a look at the manufacturers specific forums, you will see dozens of threads asking how do I fix this or that and not just on older models.

There are a number of Bailey owners on this forum, some have had problems, some are very happy with their choice: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/problems-with-my-bailey-approach-745.97486/

As for LHD, not for me. I want to see past the artic in front without pulling out several feet to do so. If most of your travelling were to be on the continent, then LHD would be the thing to go for.

Brian

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I think as has been said,haggling is the wrong word,i think the name of the game is negotiation.i personally wouldn't buy from Europe and would always buy from a dealer in the uk.that is just my personal preference.we have negotiated a percentage discount on the motorhome we have ordered,we were also given a couple of extras.I think if the deal is good for you and you are happy and comfortable with it,and the product is what you want then go for it.
Brian & Jo

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting thread.
One of the questions you get when selling second hand is; is it a 'grey import'. Do European vehicles constitute 'grey'? If so, it wipes thousands off the trade-in.

And what about stoves, ovens and grills ( the so called UK Spec). Wouldn't want one without.

When I was looking at buying, I always avoided LHD vehicles. Must be many like me?

Just interested. Good thread though.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Regards stoves, plugs and heating.

Our Rapido needed 3 conversion plug sockets...,, £6.50 each
Electric heating. Already in the van,..,,
Sorted
No cooker,but one ordered from thetford, £250 plus fitting.
Sorted
The LHD drive bit. It's down to personal preference. £15k saving on a uk model swings it for me. Show me the garlic..........

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
A reasonable way to determine the selection of your ideal vehicle is to draw up a list of priorities. For example, for me, four travelling seats was the main priority, that, along with how many you want to sleep, an end lounge (another one of mine) or whatever and you will soon start to narrow things down.

Enter as much of this information as you can into Autotrader Motorhomes along with a price band (maybe £5000 less than you are willing to spend), you will come up with a relatively short list of vehicles than meet your requirements.

I’m not suggesting it will be definitive, but it’s a useful tool. I ended up with a Bailey Advantage 615, not everyone’s choice, but suits me sir!!

Test drive on Friday, so things may change :cool:

Brian

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I agree . 1st priority was big fridge for beer and wine:whistle:
No, joking apart was fixed bed and end bathroom. We looked at autotrail and swift kontiki, but the Rapido won in the end.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I can't comment first hand on the Bailey Motorhomes although we did have a Bailey caravan and where very pleased with it. So because of this we went and had a look about 3 years ago at our local dealer and the amount of broken bits and badly fitting put me right off, I've also heard mentioned on here a few times about payload so I'd check this also amount of seatbelts to berths.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Regards payload. You could do like I have thought of doing...., leave the wife behind. Cheaper in the long run. I've always thought a Ferrari would be cheaper to run. Not a thirsty and more reliable :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Bailey Advance.

There seems to be a lot of de facto statements on this thread, and certainly Bailey have had their fair share of complaints, but I doubt no more than any other manufacturer. Considering they have only been building motorhomes for around four years, they seem to be offering a product that offers choice, well tested and good value for money.

It appears there is no such thing as a problem free MH, if you think so have a look at the manufacturers specific forums, you will see dozens of threads asking how do I fix this or that and not just on older models.

There are a number of Bailey owners on this forum, some have had problems, some are very happy with their choice: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/problems-with-my-bailey-approach-745.97486/

As for LHD, not for me. I want to see past the artic in front without pulling out several feet to do so. If most of your travelling were to be on the continent, then LHD would be the thing to go for.

Brian[/QUOT
2013 AutoSleeper Broadway FB. Dealer is 15 miles away, manufacturer 150 miles away and I have had excellent service from both.
What do I like about it? Good solid build, exactly the right layout for us, warranty service available throughout Europe on the vehicle ( Peugeot) drives well and reliable.
We looked a literally hundreds of vans before we bought ours, even dealers throughout France, but nothing felt as well made. Lots of European vans, we found, had rather flimsy looking interiors.
I would have like onboard water tanks and pipework, but I have heard of quite a few "fully winterised" foreign vans having problems in very cold weather.
What really surprised me was the amount of foreign van owners wanting to look inside the van when we are on aires, and all of them impressed that it is built on a Peugeot.
Anyway, we like it, I couldn't be a***d to travel too far to buy one.
Allan

You can be there in back same day.....so how does your overtaking theory work in Europe ..presuming you have an interest in it!lol

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I can't comment first hand on the Bailey Motorhomes although we did have a Bailey caravan and where very pleased with it. So because of this we went and had a look about 3 years ago at our local dealer and the amount of broken bits and badly fitting put me right off, I've also heard mentioned on here a few times about payload so I'd check this also amount of seatbelts to berths.

I've only seen the Autograph range close up, new in a dealers, quality and fit looked pretty good on the 2015 model. Payload on the 615 is 800kg+ so no worries for me.

The Advantage range is new, if fact doesn't come into the dealers until Thursday, but I read good reports and will see after a test drive.

Brian

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Question of percentages, 90% UK/Ireland, 10% Europe. If that changes then I'd look for a LHD.

Brian

That's fine Brian and understandable...but most of us who drive LHD hold the opposite view. But compleatly biased on the price to VHM rwuation thar buying abroad offer:)

Last edited:

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
That's fine Brian and understandable...but most of us who drive LHD hold the opposite view. But compleatly biased on the price to VHM:)

Please don’t misunderstand me, I understand your point completely. But as I said, we all have different requirements. Not least of which, if I lived south of the M4, I might be more inclined to look at European MH’s. As I don’t, it would just be a pain.

Presently my needs are very specific and a 6m ‘van with four travelling seats and two beds fits the bill perfectly. Things change, hell, I may decide to take off and winter in Spain in a couple of years (like that’s going to happen :(), if so I’ll want something bigger and LHD.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back