Habitation,Full Service, MOT, the van I am about to purchase {albeit, the tests need to be done,}before I part with my lives savings. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Does anyone, know of a person, that can do everything under one roof. The van at present is in Shotley Ipswich, and without these tests, I will not part with my life savings. I have 14 days to get all these test analysed, then to purchase the van, or loose it ! So it needs to be done next week Guys ? thank you for all your helps caroline

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Even when the stealers do all those Checks you will still find nasties lurking , and some dealers forge the checks , so you have to go over the vehicle with a fine toothcomb ...

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I posted on your other thread
The shower tray has cracking around the outlet by looks of the photo the repair would be £200+
There is an aquarol in the photo would suggest it’s being used for fresh water so if it has fresh water underslung tanks it suggests the may leak

Upvote 1
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There is an aquarol in the photo would suggest it’s being used for fresh water so if it has fresh water underslung tanks it suggests the may leak
Why would an aquarol suggest the main tank leaks ?
Some ex tuggers just can't get out of the habit.
Plus it's very low mileage so may have spent long periods stationery on a campsite and used there ?
The low mileage would worry me more than the aquarol

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Why would an aquarol suggest the main tank leaks ?
Some ex tuggers just can't get out of the habit.
Plus it's very low mileage so may have spent long periods stationery on a campsite and used there ?
The low mileage would worry me more than the aquarol
Calm down it is just an observation and the op asked for opinions
Do you know he’s an ex tugger
Or it’s been stationary on a campsite but that very well be the reason it is used just as valid as a leaky tank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My 2002 Mercedes has had little trouble during its 95k miles. It did have a knock from the gearbox which was a worn bearing: my usual garage said it would be good for a long time but I replaced it, plus upgraded clutch, for approximately £2k. Obviously brakes, exhaust and tyres needed replacing.

I haven’t noticed anything about insurance! I would be very surprised if the owner would allow you to drive somewhere to carry out the checks which you are suggesting. Please think carefully.

Gordon

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

We were looking at possible new motorhome for us at the weekend , found more than one with no filler for fresh water, you needed an aqua roll and pump to fill

Not an option I would pick

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Yes I have seen that too
I have underslung tanks and have on the last 2 van all with no filler
Useing a pump and I have found a 10 litre container better or you can use a hose pipe
To be very honest I thought at first it would be a pain but have found positives but realise it’s not as good as having the filler you have the added advantage of filling with a watering can
If you find the ideal van except the filling consider it seriously

IMG_6114.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I have read all your posts
Why buy a 20 year old motorhome
Buy a PVC and avoid all that hassle, for the same money , it will be newer
It’s just a van then and can be assessed very easily
As a solo traveller I’m sure you will find a PVC much easier all round

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I wouldn't expect to buy a van over 20 years old and it not to need money spending on it. This could range from a few 100 to few 1000. Be very carefully spending all your savings on it. That 22 year old van will be 30 years old in a few years and will be at the end of it's life. Unfortunately the price being asked now is relevant to the cost of new vans and not what it cost new.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I wouldn't expect to buy a van over 20 years old and it not to need money spending on it. This could range from a few 100 to few 1000. Be very carefully spending all your savings on it. That 22 year old van will be 30 years old in a few years and will be at the end of it's life. Unfortunately the price being asked now is relevant to the cost of new vans and not what it cost new.
Even our 2019 van has in it's "must do" list for this year, a cam belt (£800) a set of tyres + steels (as we want to upsize due to getting bogged down and needing tractoring off a few pitches already).. Existing tyres are EOSL anyway (£6-800). Then theres the gas upgrade, which actually should save money over it's life, but is £500 ish to do.

Thats before the annual service and running costs inc insurance.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
But you'd think for the sake Of £50 he'd get an MOT.
Exactly considering it's a 15 min job and there are many places within 10 miles who can do it. Ray Goudy in Stowmarket would probably be my choice (10 ish miles from shotley), but Blakenham truck services also would be a reccomendation as above. I got a motorhome MOT done by Goudy trailer place in Stowmarket in sub 15 minutes at a start of day appt, they love motorhomes there and used to be the garage used by the old stowmarket caravans dealership for motorhomes. Yes it needs booking, but they accomodated me within a couple of days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Even our 2019 van has in it's "must do" list for this year, a cam belt (£800) a set of tyres + steels (as we want to upsize due to getting bogged down and needing tractoring off a few pitches already).. Existing tyres are EOSL anyway (£6-800). Then theres the gas upgrade, which actually should save money over it's life, but is £500 ish to do.

Thats before the annual service and running costs inc insurance.
Hi Everyone! I have WALKED AWAY, even though
my engineering son-in-law, rated it highly. The reason, was that I didn't know, was that the van is a 3.800-tone van, regarded as a HGV vehicle !!!!! No one mentioned this, I could get insurance for myself as I am 67, but my family couldn't! Not only that, but after investigating all the insurance companies, they would give me insurance for 2 years, then I would have to take a HGV licence ! That is not what I want, and also I would have the same problem selling the van again ! So very disappointed, but yes guys I Walked AWAY! only looking at 3.500 tone van in future

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
only looking at 3.500 tone van in future
Be careful even with these as with 4 berth's they often when loaded with even one persons stuff may be over 3.5t.

We found even same manufacturers had some vans with loads of capacity for our stuff at 3.5t, where the same van with a different interior needed upplating and thus a C1 license to drive with anything like a normal payload.

Get any van you thinking of buying, get a weightbridge done on it with driver, full fuel and you'll know actual payload and if this is a problem or not. Many 3.5t motorhomes are NOT 3.5t motorhomes - we *nearly" purchased a motorhome we liked, but which when we took advice on (here and Bailey forum) we found was not suited due to the needing up-plating..

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
then I would have to take a HGV licence
No you don't you only need to have a simple medical every 3 years from the age of 70 to retain your C1 which covers you for up to 7500kg..
Providing you have no health problems it's a doddle, loads of us on here over 70 driving heavy vans.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Thanks guys, but that is what a couple of insurance stated, but it still means that my family who are 42 year olds, are unable to drive it. I was buying it for us all to use, and couldn't justify just buying for me only. So I will look at 3,000 tones so that my kids can also drive it.
maybe lots of insurance companies say different maybe

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
No you don't you only need to have a simple medical every 3 years from the age of 70 to retain your C1 which covers you for up to 7500kg..
Providing you have no health problems it's a doddle, loads of us on here over 70 driving heavy vans.
He's right.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Be careful even with these as with 4 berth's they often when loaded with even one persons stuff may be over 3.5t.

We found even same manufacturers had some vans with loads of capacity for our stuff at 3.5t, where the shanks ame van with a different interior needed upplating and thus a C1 license to drive with anything like a normal payload.

Get any van you thinking of buying, get a weightbridge done on it with driver, full fuel and you'll know actual payload and if this is a problem or not. Many 3.5t motorhomes are NOT 3.5t motorhomes - we *nearly" purchased a motorhome we liked, but which when we took advice on (here and Bailey forum) we found was not suited due to the needing up-plating..
t

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Thanks guys, but that is what a couple of insurance stated, but it still means that my family who are 42 year olds, are unable to drive it. I was buying it for us all to use, and couldn't justify just buying for me only. So I will look at 3,000 tones so that my kids can also drive it.
thanks for that bit of advise guys x

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Hi Everyone! I have WALKED AWAY, even though
my engineering son-in-law, rated it highly. The reason, was that I didn't know, was that the van is a 3.800-tone van, regarded as a HGV vehicle !!!!! No one mentioned this, I could get insurance for myself as I am 67, but my family couldn't! Not only that, but after investigating all the insurance companies, they would give me insurance for 2 years, then I would have to take a HGV licence ! That is not what I want, and also I would have the same problem selling the van again ! So very disappointed, but yes guys I Walked AWAY! only looking at 3.500 tone van in future
Thought it was only a medical needed at a certain age. 🤫
You could probably downplate it.

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
They will be able to drive up to and including 3.5t ;)

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
yes Im investing intoa van for the WHOLE family to use, as that gives me as much joy as just driving it alone
One will come up, there are plenty for sale at the moment. Just take your time and don't let your heart rule your head. Make sure you have a damp meter to hand at all times.
Good luck

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Kids that have kids ?

Already concerned that they will be overweight if that is the case.

Appreciating we are all different but if I were forking out 25k for something the kids want to use, then them forking out 500 quid to get a license to use it seems fair to me.

Have a look at Simon's option, or consider downrating it to 3500 as it is bound to be able to do that (cost of 170 ish)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
sadly, my 42 yer old son in law still is unable to drive it though without him doing the test, its a game changer sadly

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
sadly, my 42 yer old son in law still is unable to drive it though without him doing the test, its a game changer sadly
It is increasingly likely the 3500Kg limit will soon be raised due to the heavy electric vans coming through. 4250Kg mentioned but may be stipulated that vehicle must be zero emissions..... But a blanket move up might happen.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back