H.A.S.R.S not working! Can anyone help? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Alright, "Hands-free Automatic Step Retraction System" may not be the official name for it. But it made you look! :giggle:

So, here's the problem. On our Pilote G650 we have a Thule electric step. It works fine with the button just inside the door, but it also has an auto retract feature that has stopped working. If you start the engine with the step out, an alarm should sound and the step should retract automatically. Neither happens.

A visual inspection under the step doesn't show anything wrong. No broken or disconnected cables and the switch that controls the alarm is not jammed or obviously damaged. I can't test it for continuity as the connections are at the top hidden by the body of the switch. I can't take the switch out easily as it is glued in.

No idea what to do next. Anyone had any experience of the H.A.S.R.S malfunctioning in this way?

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I have a similar issue with my Galaxy 92. Sometimes works but generally doesn’t.
But I’ll speak to somebody with knowledge and understands D+

Thanks for the info

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Check the D+ supply
If only I knew how. There is a switch for D+ on the charger/fuse box thingy. (Schaudt EBL 271). Don't suppose that helps. Base vehicle is Fiat. What should the switch setting be on the EBL271?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2014
The D+ supply operates the fridge on 12v from the alternator, when the engine is running. Therefore in theory if your fridge works on 12v with the engine running your D+ supply is ok (at the fridge). If you check somewhere behind the manual switch in a locker perhaps, I am not familiar with Pilote G650, I have an Autotrail, you should see the buzzer and a relay.
The relay coil is energised by the D+ supply when the engine starts which then retracts the step and sounds the buzzer until the step retracted switch operates. Here is what you should be looking for.
20240509_122307.jpg

Here is the circuit diagram

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Manual_Thule_Relay_for_Step_12V_OS914-08.pdf
    611.5 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Thanks to everyone for their answers. I settled in this morning to sort it out using all the ideas that came from the forum and from Google.

Started by checking that the alternator was giving a D+ signal on starting the engine, as shown by the battery light going off on the dashboard. Looked fine.

Next checked the fuse for the step on the EBL271. Looked OK, but I also checked with a multimeter to be sure. All good.

Started the engine again to see if the fridge was getting 12V supply. No! But not that surprising if the D+ signal is not working. But I now know it's not a step specific problem.

Scratching of head follows. Shall I try to find the relay or relays involved?

But wait, didn't I see somewhere that the Fiat base vehicle requires a negative D+ signal. Check the switch on the EBL271. That is switched to the positive D+ signal position. Now, I've never knowingly touched this switch, and the step has worked fine ever since we bought the vehicle. Might as well try the switch in the other position. Blow me down, everything working again! Just the switch in the wrong position. Never been near it that I can remember, but it must have been moved by accident. It's not even in a place where that could easily happen.

All good fun. Hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We couldn’t deploy our E&P legs a few years back, I realised after much head scratching we also had no fridge operation when engine running , we needed a new D+ relay

I am not a fan of auto step retraction , just sounds like an accident waiting to happen

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why do you say that? I thought it was to stop an accident that's waiting to happen. :giggle:

quite a high risk of someone being on the step getting into or out of MH when you start the engine, broken ankle easily achieved I would reckon

I can see my step in my mirror and haven’t yet driven off with it out 👍

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Never been near it that I can remember, but it must have been moved by accident. It's not even in a place where that could easily happen.
It's quite a common occurrence with us guys and tends to be as a result of ............................ :beerchug: followed by "I wonder what this does"?:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Ours it just alarms when starting the engine if not fully retracted. There is then a button to press to retract it on the dash to save getting up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
quite a high risk of someone being on the step getting into or out of MH when you start the engine, broken ankle easily achieved I would reckon

I can see my step in my mirror and haven’t yet driven off with it out 👍
Well, we're all different. I'd never start up without my co-pilot sat next to me ready to be shouted at. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Well, that's it. Ferry cancelled. Thanks DVLA. No sign of my licence. Not a peep out of DVLA; not even responding to messages on Twitter now. Useless idiots.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back