Guardia Civil Search

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Many people ask on the forum whether there are customs checks at ports when arriving on the Continent. Some have been stopped and many others have not. Today a chap that has sailed into Santander was stopped. Below is his bit of a thread from Facebook.

"Hi all for informstion traveled over ti santander today, stoped and searced by guardia civil.
Fridge emptied and checked, goods confiscated. 😢"

It seems that they have been checking.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Many people ask on the forum whether there are customs checks at ports when arriving on the Continent. Some have been stopped and many others have not. Today a chap that has sailed into Santander was stopped. Below is his bit of a thread from Facebook.

"Hi all for informstion traveled over ti santander today, stoped and searced by guardia civil.

Likely to have been just before lunchtime. :wink:

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
We arrived in Santander on 18th December and they were pulling motorhomes over for inspection.
Thought we were gluing to get dragged in as the customs lady started to say something but her colleague looked at the bursting plate and noted the steering wheel on the right hand side and said something to her. She then just waved us past.
The fridge was empty too 😳😳

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Likely to have been just before lunchtime. :wink:
Don't think Spanish would like the contents of a visitor's fridge....Pork Pies, Pasties, Bacon and Sausage...and of course Pot Noodles(I know, not from the fridge) Why should they when they have Paella and Migas....😀😀😀😀😀

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Just a question.

Is your quote (above) a C&P or a retype?

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Don't think Spanish would like the contents of a visitor's fridge....Pork Pies, Pasties, Bacon and Sausage...and of course Pot Noodles(I know, not from the fridge) Why should they when they have Paella and Migas....😀😀😀😀😀
7 out of 10 items on the main menu in a restaurant in Denia on Monday were pork !

OP
OP
Verteuil Man
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
The person who was stopped has come back with an update.

He was not fined but there was a long form to complete.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Verteuil Man
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
It’s pretty pathetic and picky really, in my humble opinion.

Maybe the Guardia etc should be concentrating on what’s travelling to Spain from the Netherlands. Rather than fridge food from the UK.
If you look at #3 it infers that Continent vans were being pulled. In theory they would have UK contraband food in their fridge.

At the end of the day, it's the law and there is no excuse for ignoring it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
No more petty them being pulled for no illumination light in the uk

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We have just been deciding what we will do when we sail in March. Find it difficult to knowingly break the law has helped with our thinking. We normally travel with own prepared meals to just stick in the oven for ease at the end of a days drive, shepherds pie, chilli, curry etc.

Haven’t fully decided yet but as we have a smaller fridge now it would not be much in any case and I think there is a Mercadona on the port exit road just before the Repsol station, if we can get parked, so is it worth it.

We only want a couple of evening meals really for travelling but have decided to see what is on offer in the vegan range at the supermarket, all labelled & sealed should pose no problem 🤞🏻

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Without a doubt Mrs CC will have the fridge/freezer loaded to the gunnels again when we board the boat at Portsmouth in May.
Obviously if she gets detained I will have to carry on for the month then see if she is released on my return.
No doubt she would do the same for me😂😂

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years

It seems that they have been checking
Was his name Blackbeard by any chance🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️ :rofl::rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's so little info about the original situation it's difficult to know how much notice to take of it.

They were searched and goods confiscated but what were these goods and how much was there? Was it just a small amount which would only have been for their own consumption, or large amounts which were likely for others and/or would be sold on? Was it high value stuff etc?

Taking stuff solely for yourself is one thing but doing it to supply others especially if for commercial gain is another thing entirely. No disrespect to the OP but unless there is clear evidence that this happened to a normal UK holiday traveller just taking a few bits for personal consumption I'll just pop it in my 'scaremongering and exaggeration ' file (aka rubbish bin).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
There's so little info about the original situation it's difficult to know how much notice to take of it.

They were searched and goods confiscated but what were these goods and how much was there? Was it just a small amount which would only have been for their own consumption, or large amounts which were likely for others and/or would be sold on? Was it high value stuff etc?

Taking stuff solely for yourself is one thing but doing it to supply others especially if for commercial gain is another thing entirely. No disrespect to the OP but unless there is clear evidence that this happened to a normal UK holiday traveller just taking a few bits for personal consumption I'll just pop it in my 'scaremongering and exaggeration ' file (aka rubbish bin).
Exactly they might be a major sausage smuggler, supplying black market sausage’s to the Costa’s😂😂

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I don't for one minute expect a Guardia Civil officer to stoop so low to take foodstuffs from a travelling motorhomers fridge, for his or her own gain.
I also cannot understand why anyone can go to great lengths to smuggle food into Eurozone, when it clearly violates the rules...
Further to this, isn't part of the experience of traveling to different countries, a chance to try different food, culture and lifestyle...
Or do we really have to have Meat and Two veg while sitting on a Med coast campsite, while the sun blazes at 23°c. no wonder why Brits Abroad get laughed at....,😀😀😀😀

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I don't for one minute expect a Guardia Civil officer to stoop so low to take foodstuffs from a travelling motorhomers fridge, for his or her own gain.
I also cannot understand why anyone can go to great lengths to smuggle food into Eurozone, when it clearly violates the rules...
Further to this, isn't part of the experience of traveling to different countries, a chance to try different food, culture and lifestyle...
Or do we really have to have Meat and Two veg while sitting on a Med coast campsite, while the sun blazes at 23°c. no wonder why Brits Abroad get laughed at....,😀😀😀😀
Just the same as many other Europeans do

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back