Growler - non starter

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by Newfie, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Newfie

Newfie Funster

Ratings:
    +106
    Just wondering how many of you are using the non starter, enable the engine block when parked.

2. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,157
    1. Me

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,193
    I do it’s a great little bit of kit but I did not go for Growler just strikeback with two extra sirens at back.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. marpool

marpool Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Me to. Simple and easy to use

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Ratings:
    +743
    Yup only time I don't use it is when we have a poor phone signal as must admit worried if block engine and then loose signal cannot get it back.

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. Newfie

Newfie Funster

Ratings:
    +106
    Good to know I’m not the only one, I use it all the time even if stopped for a 1/2 hour coffee break. I’m sure in the blurb it came with it said if it was stolen then enable it.
    (Maybe mistaken) Surly better not to have it stolen in the first place.

7. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,193
    I was advised to use it at all times.
    I believe prevention better than cure(y)(y)(y)

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. The Dotties

The Dotties Funster

Ratings:
    +1,937
    Got one as well. Keep a cheap phone, not in the slightest bit smart, on a different network just in case I lose signal with EE.
    Phone has never been used.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Ratings:
    +85
    We used to but not so much now, have had a few issues where after being set all weekend and the van not moved, it doesn't respond to texts to disarm it on Monday morning (with full signal), we have to set the alarm off to wake it up so to speak then it's OK, so in fear of not being able to get to work (it's used every day) and waking the neighbors, we have relocated the keys in the house instead.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. Howard H

Howard H Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,268
    The poor signal thing happened to me on Stafford services , put it on no problem had a brew then tried to take it off no chance had to wander all over the services looking for signal . It took me about 15 mins to get it off and get on our way and it was a very long and tense 15 mins I can tell you :sick:

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Simon Howards Motorhomes

Simon Howards Motorhomes Romahome Dealer

Ratings:
    +89
    Non starter works really well! Whilst staying on a slightly dubious campsite at the weekend, I armed it. The system will tell you when your alarms going off, it will show you its location and obviously can be killed from your phone.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Morag and Dougal

Morag and Dougal Funster

Ratings:
    +140
    hmmmm

13. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Ratings:
    +2,795
    When you had your non starter fitted you will have been told where the brain is, if it wont disarm and you are stuck then you can unscrew the unit and it then disarms. We have had to do it once, obviously we'd forgotten where ashley @eddievanbitz had told us it was but luckily they were open when I phoned. Unfortunately it was a devil to get at and I had to buy a set of torque screw drivers to get at it. They are now kept in the van. Funnily enough ours arms instantly every time and doesn't disarm so easily even at home with excellent signal. We have to try to start the engine, remove key, wait a bit until the alarm message is sent , then send another disarm text and it works.
    We would definitely have another on our next van despite the little gremlins! Sounds like I'm not the only one to forget where the unit is but if you phone vanbitz they can tell you where it is, I don't really want to say where ours is on the open forum.

14. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,193
    I have found that if you send a disarm message a second time about 3 or 4 mins apart it will work.

15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +81,274
    I would be careful myself.

It’s fitted by an England rugby supporter so it’s probably programmed to

“Lose”

You don’t really want to lose the van so just check (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  16. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Ratings:
    +10,575
    Out of interest, has it been known for a growler/strikeback fitted van to be stolen...?

17. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Ratings:
    +10,575
    I guess that’s a no then.... that’s encouraging

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +97,974
    I only use it when I'm separated from my keys, this is mostly when the van is at home and I am not. People worry about being out of a signal area when on holiday, but on holiday I have the keys with me so won't be setting the non-starter.

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +20,603
    The "Non Starter" will act as a paging system armed or disarmed, as does the tracking and location function

The only time that it needs arming is if you are worried about key theft, as the rest if fully automatic.

If I were to go away for the weekend for example, without our camper (unlikely lol) the camper would be at home, the keys would be at home and the house empty, I would arm the Non Starter, as my phone would be with me, away.

If I collected the camper and called into say Sainsbury's to go shopping, I would arm the Growler, but as the motorhome keys would be in my pocket I wouldn't dream of activating the Non Starter, what would be the point?

Say some one tries to steal my bikes on the rack? the Accessory Protection Circuit (APC) would trigger the Growler, and the Non Starter would send me a SMS Text alerting me that the camper is under attack, irrespective, of whether I had armed the immobiliser or not

As for Key theft at Sainsburys, again a 33' camper in the car park, "Growlered" up with the keys in my pocket in actually in Sainsbury's arguing with my wife as to "Just how much Stella do you need" (watching copious amounts of hair product, Creams and Unguents going into the trolley) I don't think for one second that it is likely my van may be stolen using the keys

As @Jim said it is really for when the keys and the motorhome are in one place,, and your not, all the other functions are automatic.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  20. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +20,603
    Regarding Growler, if I spent a £1000 on what "MMM" recently said was the "Ultimate Motorhome Alarm" and my motorhome was stolen I would feel pretty upset and want to discuss it with the Company

100% no such discussion so far.

Strikeback is a little harder for a few reasons. Firstly, stupidly, I let other dealers install it for a while! Also the very very early strikebacks (remember I have been doing this since my mid twenties and am now 57 were nowhere near as good as they are now. Before anyone thinks badly of us for saying this, thing about how good your Phone, Computer, TV, Tablet, camera was in say 1990

Also the systems can be motorhomes that have has numerous owners and the systems may need servicing or updating, or the keys lost and the current owners unaware that they have a system installed.

However, despite all of this the answer is very few, if any

• Like it Like it x 4