Growler - non starter (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Just wondering how many of you are using the non starter, enable the engine block when parked.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I do it’s a great little bit of kit but I did not go for Growler just strikeback with two extra sirens at back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Yup only time I don't use it is when we have a poor phone signal as must admit worried if block engine and then loose signal cannot get it back.

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Good to know I’m not the only one, I use it all the time even if stopped for a 1/2 hour coffee break. I’m sure in the blurb it came with it said if it was stolen then enable it.
(Maybe mistaken) Surly better not to have it stolen in the first place.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I was advised to use it at all times.
I believe prevention better than cure(y)(y)(y)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Got one as well. Keep a cheap phone, not in the slightest bit smart, on a different network just in case I lose signal with EE.
Phone has never been used.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
We used to but not so much now, have had a few issues where after being set all weekend and the van not moved, it doesn't respond to texts to disarm it on Monday morning (with full signal), we have to set the alarm off to wake it up so to speak then it's OK, so in fear of not being able to get to work (it's used every day) and waking the neighbors, we have relocated the keys in the house instead.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Yup only time I don't use it is when we have a poor phone signal as must admit worried if block engine and then loose signal cannot get it back.
The poor signal thing happened to me on Stafford services , put it on no problem had a brew then tried to take it off no chance had to wander all over the services looking for signal . It took me about 15 mins to get it off and get on our way and it was a very long and tense 15 mins I can tell you :sick:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Non starter works really well! Whilst staying on a slightly dubious campsite at the weekend, I armed it. The system will tell you when your alarms going off, it will show you its location and obviously can be killed from your phone.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When you had your non starter fitted you will have been told where the brain is, if it wont disarm and you are stuck then you can unscrew the unit and it then disarms. We have had to do it once, obviously we'd forgotten where ashley @eddievanbitz had told us it was but luckily they were open when I phoned. Unfortunately it was a devil to get at and I had to buy a set of torque screw drivers to get at it. They are now kept in the van. Funnily enough ours arms instantly every time and doesn't disarm so easily even at home with excellent signal. We have to try to start the engine, remove key, wait a bit until the alarm message is sent , then send another disarm text and it works.
We would definitely have another on our next van despite the little gremlins! Sounds like I'm not the only one to forget where the unit is but if you phone vanbitz they can tell you where it is, I don't really want to say where ours is on the open forum.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have found that if you send a disarm message a second time about 3 or 4 mins apart it will work.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would be careful myself.

It’s fitted by an England rugby supporter so it’s probably programmed to

“Lose”

You don’t really want to lose the van so just check (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Out of interest, has it been known for a growler/strikeback fitted van to be stolen...?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was advised to use it at all times.

I only use it when I'm separated from my keys, this is mostly when the van is at home and I am not. People worry about being out of a signal area when on holiday, but on holiday I have the keys with me so won't be setting the non-starter.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I only use it when I'm separated from my keys, this is mostly when the van is at home and I am not. People worry about being out of a signal area when on holiday, but on holiday I have the keys with me so won't be setting the non-starter.
The "Non Starter" will act as a paging system armed or disarmed, as does the tracking and location function

The only time that it needs arming is if you are worried about key theft, as the rest if fully automatic.

If I were to go away for the weekend for example, without our camper (unlikely lol) the camper would be at home, the keys would be at home and the house empty, I would arm the Non Starter, as my phone would be with me, away.

If I collected the camper and called into say Sainsbury's to go shopping, I would arm the Growler, but as the motorhome keys would be in my pocket I wouldn't dream of activating the Non Starter, what would be the point?

Say some one tries to steal my bikes on the rack? the Accessory Protection Circuit (APC) would trigger the Growler, and the Non Starter would send me a SMS Text alerting me that the camper is under attack, irrespective, of whether I had armed the immobiliser or not

As for Key theft at Sainsburys, again a 33' camper in the car park, "Growlered" up with the keys in my pocket in actually in Sainsbury's arguing with my wife as to "Just how much Stella do you need" (watching copious amounts of hair product, Creams and Unguents going into the trolley) I don't think for one second that it is likely my van may be stolen using the keys

As @Jim said it is really for when the keys and the motorhome are in one place,, and your not, all the other functions are automatic.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I guess that’s a no then.... that’s encouraging
Regarding Growler, if I spent a £1000 on what "MMM" recently said was the "Ultimate Motorhome Alarm" and my motorhome was stolen I would feel pretty upset and want to discuss it with the Company

100% no such discussion so far.

Strikeback is a little harder for a few reasons. Firstly, stupidly, I let other dealers install it for a while! Also the very very early strikebacks (remember I have been doing this since my mid twenties and am now 57 were nowhere near as good as they are now. Before anyone thinks badly of us for saying this, thing about how good your Phone, Computer, TV, Tablet, camera was in say 1990

Also the systems can be motorhomes that have has numerous owners and the systems may need servicing or updating, or the keys lost and the current owners unaware that they have a system installed.

However, despite all of this the answer is very few, if any

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@eddievanbitz the reason we came back for our second alarm was because it is without doubt the best available and we can use it easily and trust it.
Thanks for the great service.
Alan

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Regarding Growler, if I spent a £1000 on what "MMM" recently said was the "Ultimate Motorhome Alarm" and my motorhome was stolen I would feel pretty upset and want to discuss it with the Company

100% no such discussion so far.

Strikeback is a little harder for a few reasons. Firstly, stupidly, I let other dealers install it for a while! Also the very very early strikebacks (remember I have been doing this since my mid twenties and am now 57 were nowhere near as good as they are now. Before anyone thinks badly of us for saying this, thing about how good your Phone, Computer, TV, Tablet, camera was in say 1990

Also the systems can be motorhomes that have has numerous owners and the systems may need servicing or updating, or the keys lost and the current owners unaware that they have a system installed.

However, despite all of this the answer is very few, if any

Now that is very reassuring as I have the growler....:D

(y)

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Ok it’s a really a belt & braces thing. If you have the alarm on, with your keys in your pocket. What if you dropped your keys or had your pocket picked. I guess you have the alarm fob on your key ring so the alarm could be disabled & your beloved van driven off. All very unlikely but it is possible

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ok it’s a really a belt & braces thing. If you have the alarm on, with your keys in your pocket. What if you dropped your keys or had your pocket picked. I guess you have the alarm fob on your key ring so the alarm could be disabled & your beloved van driven off. All very unlikely but it is possible
Yes very possible but unless you have the registration number on key ring they may have to try a lot of vans especially if you were in a different town to the van;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In that case send the engine off command as soon as you loose your keys?

That would be quicker than the person finding your keys pointing it at every vehicle in town;)

But whatever makes you feel secure, it's not like it costs anything extra to disable the engine 100 times every day for a year after all(y)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Very pleased with our Strikeback but ran into a problem with the non-starter. We don't have a mobile signal where we live so when the van is not in use for long periods eg over winter the SIM card may get deactivated by the provider (Lebara) which is a damn nuisance. Although its simple to replace the SIM and restart it means we might not be able to page or block the van. I believe the latest system has a subscription service so doesn't suffer from this problem but it would have been great if a solution for the older systems was available as I don't really fancy forking out for a complete new one!

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Very pleased with our Strikeback but ran into a problem with the non-starter. We don't have a mobile signal where we live so when the van is not in use for long periods eg over winter the SIM card may get deactivated by the provider (Lebara) which is a damn nuisance. Although its simple to replace the SIM and restart it means we might not be able to page or block the van. I believe the latest system has a subscription service so doesn't suffer from this problem but it would have been great if a solution for the older systems was available as I don't really fancy forking out for a complete new one!

Phone Eddie or Ash about this problem, there is a solution to not having a signal.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Phone Eddie or Ash about this problem, there is a solution to not having a signal.
Yeah I did and there apparently isn't other than replacing the SIM or remembering to take the SIM out, put it in a mobile and take it into range then access it then put it back in the non-starter. Pain in the ass! Its not controlled by Vanbitz, its the SIM providers that are the problem.
From Nick -
Quote "Yes the best option for you would be replace the SIM card with one that works in your area, or one that you could use in a compatible phone as you suggest. It may be a good idea to set up a reminder every couple of months on your phone to ensure that it doesn't happen again?
The new "Non Starter MT" SIM isn't backward compatible with your Non Starter system." Unquote

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Is Growler and Strikeback Thatcham approved?

The reason I ask is that I had an alarm and tracker fitted to a van and the insurers would not except it. I could have gained a real saving on my insurance if it had Thatcham approval. It is also almost impossible to insure a van over 100K without Thatcham 5 Tracker and Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Is Growler and Strikeback Thatcham approved?

The reason I ask is that I had an alarm and tracker fitted to a van and the insurers would not except it. I could have gained a real saving on my insurance if it had Thatcham approval. It is also almost impossible to insure a van over 100K without Thatcham 5 Tracker and Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm.
Yes they are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back