Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We had air assist fitted by AS in Warrington, excellent service, it allows it to be raised for such situations and improved the ride of our Alko chassis.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I'm sure I saw a motorhome that had 'wheels/rollers' fitted to the alko chassis at the back, so that if it did ground out the rollers prevented damage ....

OP
OP
B
Sep 27, 2021
Inverness, Highland, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
We had air assist fitted by AS in Warrington, excellent service, it allows it to be raised for such situations and improved the ride of our Alko chassis.
thank you do you know what system they used and is your motorhome a masterline as this model seems to be difficult to buy the kits for

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
thank you do you know what system they used and is your motorhome a masterline as this model seems to be difficult to buy the kits for
Ours is on a Fiat base but as yours is Alko rear end also I wouldn’t have thought it being on a Mercedes would be significant. I know from what AS said that they have occasional problems with the Mercedes chassis rear end.
Give them a ring they are really helpful, we travelled across country to go to them rather than much nearer places.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Semi air, relatively expensive on the AL-KO chassis, I have read.
Mike.

OP
OP
B
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Ours is on a Fiat base but as yours is Alko rear end also I wouldn’t have thought it being on a Mercedes would be significant. I know from what AS said that they have occasional problems with the Mercedes chassis rear end.
Give them a ring they are really helpful, we travelled across country to go to them rather than much nearer places.
Many thanks have sent them an Email will let you know how i get on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Horrible things.
Effectively jacking up the van at the extreme rear of the chassis and imposing unwanted stress.
The Al-Ko extention chassis members at the rear are not very strong especially at the rear where a 1ml crossmember bridges the end this is the point where the grouding occurs so castors could cause more damage than good I need to raise the rear to reduce the chance of grounding

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Lifting the back only will push the front down that could cause front end grounding would have thought you would need full 'ferry lift' all 4 corners lifted making vehicle higher
Seems like a big investment to only put it on the rear

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Lifting the back only will push the front down that could cause front end grounding would have thought you would need full 'ferry lift' all 4 corners lifted making vehicle higher
Seems like a big investment to only put it on the rear
It’s such a short distance from the front wheels to the front bumper/valance that it will make virtually no difference lifting the rear end.
The rear overhang can be quite significant on some motorhomes so any lift possible will help.

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'm sure I saw a motorhome that had 'wheels/rollers' fitted to the alko chassis at the back, so that if it did ground out the rollers prevented damage ....

Dreadful things that, by their very nature, increase both the frequency and the severity of any grounding!

Horrible things.
Effectively jacking up the van at the extreme rear of the chassis and imposing unwanted stress.

Yes, it’s like sticking a scaffold pole under the rear end and trying to lift it up!

castors could cause more damage than good

Agreed, and at an increased frequency of occurrence too!

Ian

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well blow me down with, whatever it is! I bought our Bailey with its Al-Ko chassis new in 2013 at Peterborough and Phil and Cathy of AS gave me a quote the following year at the NEC. Clearing a two foor high pile of camping mags from the loft yesterday I came across their leaflet including the quote. But this is 8 years or so back. :rolleyes:

Kit ref: 20071 Wide track
Retail £1303
Show Price £1198
Installation £399

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back