Grey water tank (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
We noticed last time we used the MoHo there was a very strong musty smell which we finally tracked down to the plug holes so it obviously was coming from the grey waste tank. We've sterilised the other water tank then drained it into the grey tank, letting it sit for 24hrs before emptying, but it's still a bit musty. We found some caravan toilet flush in the cupboard which we've diluted and poured down the drains and the smell is gone. We'll empty this down our drain at home before we leave.
Any ideas how to prevent this in the future?

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
There is nothing you can do to stop grey waste smelling musty, however emptying it more frequently and flushing the tank more helps.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Ok thank you. So what we've done really. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If you have traps on the drains they may have dried out during the lockdown, if you have not used the shower recently it is worth pouring a little water down the drain holes to refill the traps. You may also have an inspection hole on the top of your grey water tank, if so hosing down the inside of the tank with a jet of water may help shift the grunge.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
We use tank fresh but always leave plugs in the sinks and shower drains. No smell!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I always pour a few drops of bio washing liquid down each drain hole after every time I empty the waste tank. The waste water smells quite pleasant and not had any bad smells coming up the pipes, even with the van having been laid up from last November until a few weeks ago.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Watching what goes down the plug can help.
So, when doing the washing up remove greasy food, oil, etc. from plates & pans before putting in the sink.
And things like water from cooking pasta will be better diverted away from the grey water tank.

Pouring cheap sodas down the shower & sink plug holes works well. We’ve tried that after seeing that (& most of the above 😃) on MHF 👍🏻

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
All really great tips, thank you. Now I'm wondering about washing as we're away for a month. I don't know any sites that have washing facilities open. Obviously I can hand wash most things but as we'll be on the move every day, not sure how it's all going to work tbh.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Great stuff

1595169208544.jpeg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Now I'm wondering about washing as we're away for a month. I don't know any sites that have washing facilities open.

:unsure: Where are you going? Home or abroad?
Many continental supermarkets have laundrettes.
I'm told that the CAMC sites have their washing machines useable.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
A fairly simple help is to extend the sink outflow pipes - make the pipe do a loop the loop before disappearing off to the grey tank - it works like a U-bend / trap system. Slows the emptying of the sink a bit but gives you the liquid barrier against smells.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Before we leave a site I dissolve a dishwasher tablet in a gallon of hot water in the sink, then drain it into the tank so it sloshes round for the next few hours. The gharrrrstly stuff it fetches out is amazing... 🤔 And satisfying 😊

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Oh, and just remembered. Previous owner blocked off the air vent under the MH at the top if the grey waste tank? No idea why, so i drilled a new one with a little elbow joint - allows the grey tank to "breath" rather than becoming fully anaerobic if left for long periods.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ours smells when we open the windows whilst driving must suck smells back through the piupes so its plugs in before we move ive cleaned all but one small section of piupe work and had the hatch out of the tank, which was suprisingly clean inside but nothing makes any difference

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
All really great tips, thank you. Now I'm wondering about washing as we're away for a month. I don't know any sites that have washing facilities open. Obviously I can hand wash most things but as we'll be on the move every day, not sure how it's all going to work tbh.
You will probably find that on a month’s trip you don’t want to move every day. Rest days are good. Maybe pick a site with laundry facilities for bedding once or twice and just do clothes in a bucket as you need to. A few things hung up over night outside will usually be dry enough to hang in the shower while you drive next day. I carry a couple of bungee lengths with hooks each end to quickly string up somewhere.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We carry bleach tablets placing one in each plug hole. As water runs down the plug hole the tablet dissolves making a mild bleach solution. Travelling along “swishes” it around the inside of the tank and we don’t have any smells.

We originally bought them in France but they are now available in most British supermarkets, (although they are still cheaper in France).

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I would have thought that if they are missing, it would be well worth fitting new traps that create a proper water seal to stop smells. Might be tricky for the shower but hand basin and sink should be accessible.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
:unsure: Where are you going? Home or abroad?
Many continental supermarkets have laundrettes.
I'm told that the CAMC sites have their washing machines useable.

We're staying in the UK. I was thinking of drying things hanging in the shower whilst we're out during the day. But towels and bedding is my concern. I'll have to see if launderettes are open in any towns we may be near.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Watching what goes down the plug can help.
So, when doing the washing up remove greasy food, oil, etc. from plates & pans before putting in the sink.
And things like water from cooking pasta will be better diverted away from the grey water tank.

Pouring cheap sodas down the shower & sink plug holes works well. We’ve tried that after seeing that (& most of the above 😃) on MHF 👍🏻

I can tell you that rinsing garlic and seafood down the sink definitely doesn't help, as I learnt from experience. :)

Emptying the grey water, then adding a crushed dishwasher tab + a couple of litres of warm water and going for a drive sorted it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back