Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
Morning folks.

Are most/all grey water tank drain off taps on the off (road) side of UK motorhomes?
We're designing a grey water point and trying to decide if it's better as drive-over type or off to one side with a short length of pipe to attach to the drain off tap.

Last edited:

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mines on the off side just inside of the van sides easy to get to.

but it can be moved anywhere and any direction on the underside including a drain off tap on either side If required.

if it’s a plastic pipe it can be added to or moved. A tap both sides requires a section of pipe one tee and a drain valve.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Had several Autotrails and they were all on the offside.
My current German built van is also on the UK offside.
We did once have an Eldiss and that had the waste right in the centre of the van with a long lever to pull it open !! Pain in the a**.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our Swift has the drain tap just behind the nearside wheel. It's quite easy to get at but I got a screw in fitting from the local plumbers merchant and attach a washing machine flexible drain pipe if I can't get near enough a drain point.
On balance the pipe on the UK off-side would be better as the existing position is into our normal relaxation area, on the vans nearside. If your hab door is UK offside then maybe fitting the drain to the nearside would be better.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Ours is on the near side - about 40 cm under from the edge of the van - with a lever on the van skirting. We cant reach to put a pipe onto it.
So a drive over would be best for us.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
2018 German RHD Hymer
Drain is on the right side
(as is the hab door and the water and the electricity )

Old van was a Euromobil, drain was in the centre

I'd have thought a drive over would be best, either with a centre gully, or better still, build it on a slope to one corner where you put the drain.

What you really need to discourage is people (accidently, or otherwise) dumping black tanks in the same place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
2018 German RHD Hymer
Drain is on the right side
(as is the hab door and the water and the electricity )

Old van was a Euromobil, drain was in the centre

I'd have thought a drive over would be best, either with a centre gully, or better still, build it on a slope to one corner where you put the drain.

What you really need to discourage is people (accidently, or otherwise) dumping black tanks in the same place.
My 2009 EuraMobil has the drain on the nearside just in front of the rear wheel. I modified the original with a flap fitted in to the skirt so I no longer have to lie on the ground to get at the connector for the pipe which was a right pain to locate and connect. My hot melt glue gun came in useful when fitting the bayonet style connector into the flap unit I bought (grey in colour to suit the skirt). Has served me well for a coupe of years now and uses 40mm flexible pipe so a fast drain. The valve itself is just inside the nearside locker so no chance of accidental operation. The flexible pipe means I do not have to locate the drain over the sump into which you discharge. At home I park next to a storm drain in the road near the house which inconveniences nobody, I hope.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If the majority of UK vans have an offside drain, why do most sites that don't have a proper drive-over fit the manhole close to the kerb of the MH service point? It invariably means turning the van an approaching the wrong way round their one-way systems. :mad:

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Assuming I've understood the OP correctly and they are asking for advice on the construction of a waste dump point, personally I think drive over is best if properly designed. A full width grid means it doesn't matter where on a MH the outlet is. The sloping area which guides the water to the grid should be wide enough to allow for splashing, campers with horizontal outlets need a largish area for waste discharge, on initial opening the jet of water can travel quite far before it eases back to a dribble. The channel under the grid should have a reasonable fall towards the actual drain to avoid pools of stagnant water. A floor washdown hose would be nice providing people use it.
A nice enquiry, I've seen some ridiculous waste areas in places, La Mailleraye? Good luck with your project

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Agree - I prefer a big grid to drive over as our dump point is central with a lever pulled from the UK nearside. I need to modify it to put a hose attachment on to give the option of either as it's a pain on some sites (I've resorted to parking over a dip in the rutted approach road close to the waste point to give some extra ground clearance and using a collapsable bucket on one CL).

Upvote 0

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mines on the off side just inside of the van sides easy to get to.

but it can be moved anywhere and any direction on the underside including a drain off tap on either side If required.

if it’s a plastic pipe it can be added to or moved. A tap both sides requires a section of pipe one tee and a drain valve.
Now thinking about what I wrote it seems a good idea now to add an outlet on the other side .
I have the pipe. And the rest would be about £25.85

and as the system we have is all plastic it’s an easy project.

just looked there is another take off for waste the opposite side to the waste valve so a short length of pipe an elbow and tap And screw connection. All on eBay.

now on my todo list.

Attachments

• PNG image 2.png
    PNG image 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • PNG image 3.png
    PNG image 3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • PNG image 4.png
    PNG image 4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wannabee

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Halifax
Funster No
MH
CompassAvantgarde196
Exp
30 years on boats now MH now a chugger
Morning folks.

Are most/all grey water tank drain off taps on the off (road) side of UK motorhomes?
We're designing a grey water point and trying to decide if it's better as drive-over type or off to one side with a short length of pipe to attach to the drain off tap.
On my Compass (Elddis) it’s on the offside just behind the rear wheel. Or at least it was until it dropped off just as we were running to catch the Isle of Wight ferry. The tap twisting motion was being transferred to the tank fitting which came off. I had to fabricate a better arrangement and it’s fine now 👍

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On my last rollerteam it was an 80l tank directly in the centre at the very rear most point. Black tank was immediately behind the drivers rear wheel.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Morning folks.

They are on both sides but as long as the hole is at least a metre away from obstructions and there is space to reverse over, there should not be a problem.

Just remember the old saying about 'pleasing all of the people, all of the time' and you'll be okay....... Good Luck! :giggle:

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Mine was on drivers side but moved to centre hiding behind skirt can add an extension and elbow to left or right with ability to add upto 5m extensions.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I guess it depends on how you use your van. Ours has the central dump point with long handle.

Was a PITA having to bump up kerbs to get over the street drain, now we have an adapted pipe coming out the side. So much easier for us when we rarely use campsites.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Might it be better to run a concrete shallow half pipe (like an inverted speed hump) across the complete roadway to a drain at the side which is most convenient to your underground pipework?
This would cover all M/H drains and, possibly, slow traffic or cover with grate?

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
The drainage channel is easy

It’s getting the groundwork slopes right to prevent sink waste pooling over the adjacent ground.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I thought this thread was about the grey water drain tap/pipe on the motorhome?

Where did ground drains come from? (Although they are interesting of course)

But threads often go off on a complete journey of their own on here - that's what makes it FUN!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
I thought this thread was about the grey water drain tap/pipe on the motorhome?

Where did ground drains come from? (Although they are interesting of course)

But threads often go off on a complete journey of their own on here - that's what makes it FUN!
My post was a request for information to help us design a practical grey water disposal point, be it to one side but still in the road, drive over or off the road but using a length if pipe to connect to the drain tap point on the vehicle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
This looks to be the most practical as it'll allow drainage from either side of a vehicle.

Attachments

• 21050692ed0ee3c1c4859fb6cf46cfc9--trench-drain-drainage-solutions.jpg
    21050692ed0ee3c1c4859fb6cf46cfc9--trench-drain-drainage-solutions.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 6
  • aco-raindrain-with-galvanised-grating-15578-e1597328835112.jpg
    aco-raindrain-with-galvanised-grating-15578-e1597328835112.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-0175-1030x773.jpg
    IMG-0175-1030x773.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This looks to be the most practical as it'll allow drainage from either side of a vehicle.

You might need 2 put together (double width) as 'some' of us men are not very good at aiming their water? :LOL:

EDIT: Plus, seriously, remember, some M/H owners cannot be bothered to turn their taps off after draining their tanks. (there is always some left in) which is trailed down the driveway!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
That's why you need the concrete to slope towards the drain, or stay on your knees while your water is running:giggle:
Agreed, a slight benching in towards the drain along it's entire length will be the way to go.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
exactly what I would suggest. Lay channel drain down the centre and put a run off in the tarmac/concrete from each side to the channel. This way you catch water from all possible outlets. Put a short hose and tap beside the drain off to rinse down any foul water

Many sites have this and a dedicated fresh water standpipe on the same bay

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
That's why you need the concrete to slope towards the drain, or stay on your knees while your water is running:giggle:
Yes. Because our tap exit is under the van it is quite difficult to know whether you are over a drain until you open it. We cant see the exit point by bending down.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back