Green card needed for trailers and caravans (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It looks like if you tow a caravan or a trailer, you need a separate green card, not the one covering the towing vehicle.
Taken from .gov
So you'll need one if you're towing a car.
Not sure where you stand if using A frame abroad.

Insurance for your vehicle, caravan or trailer​

A ‘green card’ is proof of motor insurance cover when driving abroad. You should plan to carry one for the vehicle you’re driving in the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Serbia or Andorra, from 1 January 2021. This includes driving in Ireland.

You will need to carry multiple green cards if:

• you have fleet or multi-car insurance – you’ll need a green card for each vehicle
  • your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan – you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer or caravan (you need separate trailer insurance in some countries)
  • you have 2 policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey
You must carry a physical copy of your green card when driving abroad. Electronic versions of green cards are not acceptable.

If you need a physical copy of your green cards, contact your vehicle insurance provider at least 6 weeks before you travel. Or, you can now print green cards yourself. They no longer need to be printed on green paper.

You will need to show green cards if you are involved in an accident. You may need to show green cards at police checks and at the border when entering the EU/EEA or moving between EU/EEA countries. This will depend on the border authorities of each country.

More about vehicle insurance.

Vehicle registration documents​

If you’re taking your vehicle to the EU for less than 12 months, you should carry one of the following documents with you:

• your vehicle log book (V5C), if you have one
  • a VE103 to show you’re allowed to use your hired or leased vehicle abroad

Trailer registration​

You will still need to register some commercial and non-commercial trailers before towing them to or through most EU and EEA countries.

Find out more about trailer registration.

GB stickers and number plates​

You must display a separate GB sticker when driving in the EU if your number plate has the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on it.

You will not need to display a separate GB sticker if your number plate either:

• includes the letters GB with a Union Flag
  • includes the letters GB with no flag
You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Green card I dont have a problem with. I remember the time we had to have a trailer carnet stamped in and out to stop you selling your caravan in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Screenshot_20201229_191945_com.android.chrome.jpg

If a trailer isn't registered I don't see how it can carry its own insurance so doesn't qualify for a green card (confirmation of INSURANCE)

I'm 100% confident this only applies to commercial (goods carrying) trailers over 750kg and non commercial over 3500kg.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
View attachment 452093

If a trailer isn't registered I don't see how it can carry its own insurance so doesn't qualify for a green card (confirmation of INSURANCE)

I'm 100% confident this only applies to commercial (goods carrying) trailers over 750kg and non commercial over 3500kg.
Years ago, before we were in the EU when travelling to mainland Europe and towing a caravan or even a trailer tent we had to apply to the AA or maybe the RAC, its a long time ago, so I forget, for a trailer carnet. This had to have the chassis number on it,and would be stamped going out of the UK,and stamped on return. If you did not get the return stamp, the French presumed you had sold it and would require import duty.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Then it might be that it has to be registered to obtain the green card ?
Unless its a commercial goods trailer over 750kg or any trailer over 3500kg it can't be registered.
There is no facility to register it if it doesn't meet this criteria.

Reactions: SMB

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Years ago, before we were in the EU when travelling to mainland Europe and towing a caravan or even a trailer tent we had to apply to the AA or maybe the RAC, its a long time ago, so I forget, for a trailer carnet. This had to have the chassis number on it,and would be stamped going out of the UK,and stamped on return. If you did not get the return stamp, the French presumed you had sold it and would require import duty.
Maybe so Dave, but that was for customs and excise purposes.... Not insurance.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Unless its a commercial goods trailer over 750kg or any trailer over 3500kg it can't be registered.
There is no facility to register it if it doesn't meet this criteria.
There is . If you continue answering as a private individual it eventually tells you that you do not need a trailer account. It then states that you can still open one if you so wish by "continuing"
I've just done it up to the gove gateway input .

Reactions: SMB

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is . If you continue answering as a private individual it eventually tells you that you do not need a trailer account. It then states that you can still open one if you so wish by "continuing"
I've just done it up to the gove gateway input .
If it was a requirement it wouldn't be that difficult.
The first page tells you you don't need to register..... If someone wants to find a back door way to register then that's up to them but it's still not a legal requirement.
Why would you want to register if its not required.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There was a thread about this the other day, regardless of whether you need to register a trailer etc you STILL need a green card for it from your insurer. How you go about this if you don't have your trailer insured I don't know unless your towing vehicle insurer gives you one regardless.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
pappajohn
Its not about registration of a trailer, its about having a green card for insurance purposes.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why would you want to register if its not required.
& some insurers might only offer one to a registered trailer as they will then have full details etc;
pappajohn
Its not about registration of a trailer, its about having a green card for insurance purposes.
As above ,registering it might be the only way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back