Gorge du Verdon driving route tips (1 Viewer)

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Hi guys, I really fancy a drive round the Gorge du Verdon and keep trying to get my head around the best route for a 7.5 metre motorhome. I have heard that there are one way routes etc but can't seem to get my head around where they start. The. There is talk of avoiding overhangs etc. Can anyone help? I'm a nervous passenger so will probably be breathing in, leaning over, screaming etc ?

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Did the Gorges on a motorbike and had to avoid overhangs on that! A good idea to do your research I think.

Yep that's what I thought, I have heard of people doing a certain route in a motorhome. I don't want to take the wrong one. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've done both sides. I think the south side has better views of the Gorge. There are overhangs on the north side but you just wait until the road is clear and swing out to avoid them. The one way bit is a loop on the north side, anti-clockwise from memory. I haven't done this.

It will be busy at this time of year. Go very early or very late if you want to have the chance of stopping for photos.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Here are a couple of old threads that might throw some light on the route.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/off-to-gorge-du-verdon.154047/

Reactions: SOS
OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
I've done both sides. I think the south side has better views of the Gorge. There are overhangs on the north side but you just wait until the road is clear and swing out to avoid them. The one way bit is a loop on the north side, anti-clockwise from memory. I haven't done this.

It will be busy at this time of year. Go very early or very late if you want to have the chance of stopping for photos.
Not going until September and we will do it early in the morning I think ?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
It certainly is easy on a motorbike, we have done it several times. It is possible to do it in your van as tour coaches do it all the time.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Interesting, have you any pictures.

Right, going to fes up here. A post above got me thinking. It was the Tarn gorge not Verdon. (Senior moment!!!)
Still, interested in the replies as Verdon is also on my bucket list if and when I can overcome my pledge to avoid France. ( other threads about this so not planning a hijack here).

Sorry for the confusion.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Right, going to fes up here. A post above got me thinking. It was the Tarn gorge not Verdon. (Senior moment!!!)
Still, interested in the replies as Verdon is also on my bucket list if and when I can overcome my pledge to avoid France. ( other threads about this so not planning a hijack here).

Sorry for the confusion.
Gorge du Tarn is biking heaven, this was last September and me running in my new Duke. ??
2A9DBA22-6D0A-49A5-B643-69DD8B531B7C.jpeg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm a nervous passenger so will probably be breathing in, leaning over, screaming etc ?

Carry spare wing mirrors. A lunatic French 4x4 driver removed one of ours.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Done it this time last year. No problems just be aware of the overhangs. That’s all. As others have said big coaches do it, so you can.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We went from Lac de st croix on a 110 cc suzuki address in May this year.

If you go the wrong way on the route des cretes (the one way bit) turn round and do it the proper way and return via the south side then you are 200 metres short of a tank full of petrol and an annoyed Mrs saying "told you so"

Appreciating i was on a bike however, the north side heading down to Trigance to turn round wasnt as bad as i remember it a few years ago. Yes there are overhangs, no they arent really a major problem. The first part from the lake on the D952 is camera city on a nice day with the lake. Then after numerous other photos you get to the route des cretes on D23 which you do take anti clockwise. It is possible to go clockwise but only for about 14kms or the restaurant "Chalet de la maline" If you decided to go clockwise and turn round you would miss the tunnels and the scenery especially views of the south road.

Once you have done the route des cretes carry on down towards trigance to turn round you can stop at point sublime and walk across the barren land for good views and/or try your luck with parking down at tunnel du baou and go for a walk through them (we didnt go this time (not enough petrol!)) but if i remember rightly take a torch.

The way back on the south side is also less rivoting than i remember apart from this tunnel with height and width markers that you cannot see the end before you enter. You are bound to meet a 53 seater coach coming in the other direction in the middle of that tunnel. But it does go to show that if they are going through our little motorhomes can !

Enjoy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we did it last year, for us by far the best bit is the one way road section to the north of the gorge

you dont get any buses on that due to weight restriction and being one way it is a much easier drive

technically the weight restriction i think was 3t but it is an easy drive with wide area to park and view

beware the odd french car that doesnt like rules coming the wrong way and for that matter the odd tour bus but they at least go the right way

the worst part is getting to there from Castellane, very well located aire in town centre and an irresistible walk to the church on top of the hill

Apr 30, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
A/S Clubman
Clockwise had no problems . Parked up by the bridge was possible to overnight but that was many years ago.
44B51A78-0A2C-4521-8244-FE224B58B0E4.jpeg

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
All really helpful, I am sure it will all make sense when we are there ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back