LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Can anyone advise if the gorge is driveable in the Elegance? at 9 metres I would value any advice anyone can offer as to whether the roads are good enough to drive through and if so which ones are recommended and which to avoid. We are booked on the D952 at castellane for 2 nights

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes, we found south side slightly easier even though yellow road not red. Road surface good and traffic all tourist not local van man or lorries etc who were all on the red north road. Try and be there as early as possible as the only problem is meeting a tourist coach head on, they seem to arrive about midday and can be going in either direction. The other reason for avoiding the coaches is to avoid their passengers on the best viewing spots.
We started about 8am but made lots of stops and a longer one for coffee and croissants.
Enjoy!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a few short unlit tunnels - just watch out for aging cyclists. :)

IMG_0413  There are a few short unlit tunnels to be negotiated which need lights-reduced.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Riverbankannie. SWMBO is gonna love your suggestion. She had three kittens on the D952 getting here and telling her that the yellow road is better is a tough one for her to swallow! I can still get on that road on our way to moustiers-Sainte...... but I assume it is narrower than the red road? we are staying put in the camp tomorrow and travelling Wednesday west and out so will toss a coin in 36 hours or so but your further thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks

Delboy

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks Riverbankannie. SWMBO is gonna love your suggestion. She had three kittens on the D952 getting here and telling her that the yellow road is better is a tough one for her to swallow! I can still get on that road on our way to moustiers-Sainte...... but I assume it is narrower than the red road? we are staying put in the camp tomorrow and travelling Wednesday west and out so will toss a coin in 36 hours or so but your further thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks

Delboy
We didn't find it any narrower than the red road except in the 2 very short tunnels which are close together near the eastern end, that's where we met the coach but luckily we had only put our nose in the tunnel and, as no one was behind us, we were easily able to back up. I'll try and post a photo. We had no problems anywhere else, there were lots of larger MH and plenty of pulling over places to stop and take photos. We drove it west to east as we were staying at Saint Croix so we were not against the rock but I don't remember any overhangs. The road surface was good and I think the route has been made suitable for tourist coaches.
This was a typical bend , we are off the carriageway where we are stopped and you can see there is plenty of room.
IMG_0948.JPG

This next photo is a shot taken on the red road which I thought was trickier as the rock face closer to the carriageway and there were more faster travelling vehicles both behind us getting Annoyed with our pedestrian progress, and coming towards us.
IMG_0921.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Don't worry about the tunnels as if you are travelling east to west they are early on, just make sure you are nice and early and you can see if anyone already there before you enter. You'll be the biggest, make them back up!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to everyone who provided comments and advice. We did it! the best advice of all was to leave early! we left the site at 7.30 am and drove the north rim, on the basis that generally that was the inside track, rather than the south rim which would have meant being on the edge side. we met a few white van men on their way to work and cars who clearly knew the way but also lots of like minded tourists taking their time and I think we were very fortunate that at every really tight stage we didn't meet up with anything coming the other way :)

The scenery was spectacular. would certainly put it on anybody's must see list but I would try to avoid taking the Moho a second time. Instead I might consider staying outside the gorge and hiring a car so we could do the full tour clockwise and anticlockwise. call me a coward but the cost of one of my wing mirrors ouch! and that would be the cheapest damage I could incur.

Thanks again you really made us think about how we did this and we definitely changed our thoughts based on you valuable advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back