Going to York on Thursday (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I am taking my daughter to the Nuffield hospital in York on Thursday, via the NHS, for a small operation. We are going in our motorhome, so we can social distance in the van,I can wait in isolation until she is ready to come home, and then I can bring her home safely.

Also I have a sign for the back of the van and one for the front window indicating where we are going and why.

IT’S NOT A ‘JOLLY’ or a DAY OUT.

This posting is just in case anybody sees us, and maybe come to wrong conclusion.

p.s I was talking to a couple recently who are having to live in their motorhome for the time being, as they had sold their house, and then the chain broke down just as the lock down started, they were unlucky, but they have received some abuse from local people, who were obviously unaware of their predicament.

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Have you checked that there's no height barrier?
Good point! Looks okay from our friend google. Good luck, hope it all goes well for you all.
1588611790637.png

1588611900630.png

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
There is, but remember your limited to the time you can stay.
I think it’s 4 hours.
If I’m working over there I have to sign in at each store as they have number plate recognition cameras.
Hope the op goes well and you can both get out of there ASAP.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am taking my daughter to the Nuffield hospital in York on Thursday, via the NHS, for a small operation. We are going in our motorhome, so we can social distance in the van,I can wait in isolation until she is ready to come home, and then I can bring her home safely.

Also I have a sign for the back of the van and one for the front window indicating where we are going and why.

This posting is just in case anybody sees us, and maybe come to wrong conclusion.

p.s I was talking to a couple recently who are having to live in their motorhome for the time being, as they had sold their house, and then the chain broke down just as the lock down started, they were unlucky, but they have received some abuse from local people, who were obviously unaware of their predicament.
Contact your local authority, if they say it is ok then ok. The distance from your home to the hospital is not that far. How do other folk get to the hospital. These are difficult times, using/parking your motorhome could upset many people and make it more difficult for the rest when the time is right to get back on the road. My opinion is use the car like everyone else who is visiting the hospital.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Contact your local authority, if they say it is ok then ok. The distance from your home to the hospital is not that far. How do other folk get to the hospital. These are difficult times, using/parking your motorhome could upset many people and make it more difficult for the rest when the time is right to get back on the road. My opinion is use the car like everyone else who is visiting the hospital.

I don’t understand why people shouldn’t use whatever transport they have. Public transport is not safe and a lot of the time not available. There must be thousands who are running around in commercial vans that are not being used for work but no one complains. We have waited three months for an appointment at the body shop. Hopefully that will be in the next few weeks. I think it will be a very early journey before too many people are up and about. We have only been beyond the garden a couple of times since lockdown started.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
May be a good idea too phone the hospital. Perhaps they can give you a pass.
I had to take John to A&E yesterday (all OK now) and they wouldn't let me in to wait with him. They'd probably rather you were tucked away inside the mhome not interacting with people if you explain that that's the reason for going in it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think you will be OK - for once the hospital carpark will be almost empty - good luck(y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I had to go to the Nuffield in Newcastle a while back. Their parking is really tight and virtually no on street parking around the Osbourne Road area. I gave them a call and explained I would be in my motorhome, "No problem, what time's your appointment, we'll cone off a couple of bays for you" The joys of going private !

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A motorhome is the obvious vehicle to use for this purpose. I can't think of a better way to self-isolate while travelling and away from home for several hours - long enough to need the bathroom for example. If everyone had a motorhome they'd all be using them for this.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I am flummoxed as to why you are thinking that there will be hoards if stone throwing idiots screaming at you for driving your motorhome anywhere. There isn’t honest, I have been using mine to shop in and latterly attend the office and I haven’t had one dirty look, comments etc from anyone. As far as the Police are concerned if you get stopped as long as you are on a boni fide journey then that cannot do anything about the vehicle you are in. I could could travel in a tank for all the powers they don’t have. Be brave.

just tell them your incontinent and need to take a loo with you ?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I was in a similar position (pre lockdown), and phoned the Bristol car park authority to establish if there was a height barrier at a certain park and ride, since we had to be sure as we needed to be there at a certain time, and needed to be very close as my wife wouldn't be allowed to walk and had to be picked up after the operation. No barrier, they said. Are you sure. Yes. Of course, there was, and we were stuffed. And we did check on Google, but they had been installed since. So good luck with that.

BossHog

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Fylde Coast
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
I can always park up at Tesco’s ✅

Be careful doing that I did same pre-lockdown (Jan) waiting for someone who was delayed, and received a £100.00 penalty in post for being in their Carpark more than an hour and half, which would reduce to £40.00 if paid in seven days from notice, and threatened with bailiffs if not paid at all, that was in my car. Couldn’t believe it, didn’t know this happens..

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
wasnt there a report a while back about a company loaning motorhomes to a hospital for their staff to use in the car park? i would contact the hospital and tell them what you intend doing, assuming its an overnighter(s) and not just an op as a day patient. if its just as a day patient i would still go in the motorhome but not be too bothered about informing the hospital. i think the signs are a good idea for the car park gestapo ,,,,

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The real problem is the judgemental busybody attitude that some people have felt is OK to express since the restrictions. I think/hope that it doesnt reflect the view of the population at large and merely the limitations of some of the posters on here. My good wishes to Hotelman for a successful procedure and a rapid recovery for your daughter.

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp

How did the trip go. All well I hope

OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
All went well, thankyou, great parking, normally where the MRI scanner trailer parks, nice coffee in the van , a pizza for lunch, watched Forrest Gump and able to use the toilet, fantastic, oh yes the operation went well , a hernia, apparently a great service, as it was on the NHS , at the Nuffield, it was almost ‘try before you buy’ !!!!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back