Globecar problem ... It's ruddy warped!!!! (2 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nothing to do with Star Trek, Clingons and/or warp speed ... but our Control panel appears to have 'warped' ... how I don't know as it's plastic/acrylic (or whatever man-made material they use for them!).

Hubby went out to put the camper on hook up and went inside to check the light on the control panel was on to make sure it was working and found that all 4 battery level lights on it were lit up, this was without the panel itself being on, queue him coming in to collar me to go have a look (I was in the middle of painting the lounge at the time!).

I've had a look and pressing the top right of the panel makes the battery level lights go out, releasing it and the lights come back on ... weird! o_O I carefully loosened and removed the decor board which houses the control panel and nothing seemed to be untoward on the back of the panel and whilst it was out I again carefully pushed the panel 'flat' which made the lights go out.

I'm assuming the warping has made the panel go 'daft' so I'll have to see about getting it replaced under warranty ... I just wondered if anyone else has had an issue with a warped control panel?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Hope someone comes along to answer this soon as it seems so weird that I feel I NEED to know the answer!
Steph

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
What's behind the panel Mel - Have you removed it. I suspect you'll have already disconnected the EHU but there appears to be a build up of heat or a short circuit at the back of the panel. That said, it would take some heat to warp a plastic mount.

Have you looked at the Electroblok and the fuses to check for discrepancies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Were you able to check the voltages on the system. I wonder if the charger has gone tits-up. Keep an eye on the leisure batteries too. I would disconnect everything until we can establish a potential problem.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I have similar but working OK with mine I think it is a tight fit and possibly expanded to make it warp . A Sargent panel.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have similar but working OK with mine I think it is a tight fit and possibly expanded to make it warp . A Sargent panel.

That makes a lot of sense. (y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What's behind the panel Mel - Have you removed it. I suspect you'll have already disconnected the EHU but there appears to be a build up of heat or a short circuit at the back of the panel. That said, it would take some heat to warp a plastic mount.
No heat at all, I suspect the plastic used is too thin and, although I haven't noticed it being a tight fit in the aperture, it is only clipped in with 4 plastic clips they don't hold it really, really tight anyway, probably why its been able to warp ... can't beat good old fashions screwed in panels!

Have you looked at the Electroblok and the fuses to check for discrepancies.
It was too dark to start messing about today so will look at it tomorrow - hubby's going to make check everything works okay to make sure nothing else has gone 'daft' - the lights were working okay so hopefully we've just got a bit of warping which has 'corrupted' the board. At least it'll be easy to remove and put a new one in, negating the need to visit our dealer.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Which way has your's warped Sonny? On ours the right and left outer edges are sitting slightly proud from the surround.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Can't see any fixing screws ,but as you look at it, above the door it's the left side
20190303_101305.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is an image of what our control panel looks like taken off the web, it's the 4 little lights on the right that come on all the time when on hook-up, with hook-up off the top one goes off so it appears to be showing the state of charge of the hab battery correctly. Pushing the right top corner flush makes the lights go out ... I checked the connectors on the back and they are tight so somehow the warping must be making a contact on the back of the board to make it think the top right battery check button is being pressed.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Is there a printed circuit board attached to the back to your facia? It the facia is warping then it could warp the pcb which might put stress on a soldered joint. It happens sometimes on ours so I just press it in the opposite direction and its OK. One day I'll look for the iffy joint.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is there a printed circuit board attached to the back to your facia? It the facia is warping then it could warp the pcb which might put stress on a soldered joint. It happens sometimes on ours so I just press it in the opposite direction and its OK. One day I'll look for the iffy joint.
Yes there is, hence why I think the warping has upset it, despite my pressing it 'flat' as soon as I let go the lights all just come on again, if I was out of warranty I'd find a way to hold it firmly 'flat' to sort it, but as it's still covered I might as well get it replaced. (y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Could it be being left freezing cold whilst the van is not used?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Could it be being left freezing cold whilst the van is not used?
Don't see why it would be affected by the cold - if that was the case I would have expected it to start playing up when we had the cold spell earlier this year which it didn't ... maybe it's got a delayed reaction and hasn't forgiven us for coming back from sunny Spain in January so is sulking! :D

It could be that the daft plastic clips that hold it in are not as strong as they were and thus have allowed the panel to flex and/or if it was made with a 'fault' in the plastic used which had a slight curve in it and over time it has gradually pulled itself into a slightly convex shape ... just thinking out loud.

I didn't get chance to have a shuftie today as I've been wallpapering the lounge so might have a look in a day or two when I've finished decorating in there.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It wouldn’t be the cold, it would more likely warp in the heat if there was any, due to expansion. How tight is the plastic at the ends, where it buts up to the wood units?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My thoughts too, get your soldering iron our Mel.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My thoughts too, get your soldering iron our Mel.
That's one piece of kit I've never ever used, not sure I'd want to practice on my control panel. :eek:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It wouldn’t be the cold, it would more likely warp in the heat if there was any, due to expansion. How tight is the plastic at the ends, where it buts up to the wood units?
It sits on top of the wood panel with 4 plastic clips holding it in place so doesn't 'butt' up to it as such; the 2 ends are sitting slightly out from the wood panel with the centre being flush.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update for those who are interested! :D

Forgot to say, we had a new 'development' with the panel ... not only did the battery level lights come on when they wanted to, but when hubby checked everything else was okay he put some water in the camper and found that the fresh water level indicator came on when he ran the tap!

You can see the panel on the left, the red/amber/green lights are the battery level indicator, the blue one is the water level, on the bottom right you can see the tap in full flow.

IMG_20190304_141739.jpg

JCL asked us to get a confirmation report that the panel was faulty so hubby rang to see if we could get someone to do it and how much it would cost ... managed to find someone who could do it but it would cost £50 for checking it and then writing the report. As the actual panel itself only costs about £100 anyway I spoke to Lance at JCL and explained it to him, we both agreed it was stupid to pay this just to get a report and then pay it again to have the panel replaced, plus the cost of the panel, so he's agreed to buy the panel for us and have it delivered here so I can fit it (4 push in clips and 2 cable connectors which just pull off/push on, so easy to do (once I've isolated the panel from the 12v of course).

The new panel will have Schaudt on it rather than Globecar but other than that it is identical, thank goodness for common sense! (y)

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Must say very impressed with Pilote, got our van from Germany 11 months old, registered it in Spain, the centre light kept flickering contacted Pilote France, they said go to your nearest dealer that was Alicante, they confirmed yes, we will contact you when we get the parts. (y)
Emailed parts are in, took it down there and went to the beach with the dog and had lunch, when we went back they had replaced all the lights even the outside one. (y)
I don't think that would have happened in the UK, first thing would be go to your supplying dealer. :rolleyes:

Hope it's not too stressful Mel, some dealers are better than others, a pain when you could provide video evidence, and do it yourselves. :D
Half the time you have already had things out just in case it's a loose wire, then put it back together so they can do it again. :rolleyes: Bob.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hope it's not too stressful Mel, some dealers are better than others, a pain when you could provide video evidence, and do it yourselves. :D
After the cracked shower tray debacle with our last camper not to mention the horrendous delay for other warranty stuff (Globecar blamed but not convinced in all cases it was them causing the 'issues') I can honestly say that dealing with the chap at the dealer we bought our current MH from is an absolute pleasure ... sometimes buying from a distance away has its benefits!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update on the panel ... having not had any joy with Globecar the Sales Manager from JC Leisure just happens to be visiting them this weekend so is gonna give them hell! :sneaky: If he doesn't come home with a new panel for us he's said we can still go ahead and arrange for one from elsewhere ... I'll report back next week hopefully! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back