Globecar problem ... It's ruddy warped!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Minxy Girl, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,852
    Nothing to do with Star Trek, Clingons and/or warp speed ... but our Control panel appears to have 'warped' ... how I don't know as it's plastic/acrylic (or whatever man-made material they use for them!).

Hubby went out to put the camper on hook up and went inside to check the light on the control panel was on to make sure it was working and found that all 4 battery level lights on it were lit up, this was without the panel itself being on, queue him coming in to collar me to go have a look (I was in the middle of painting the lounge at the time!).

I've had a look and pressing the top right of the panel makes the battery level lights go out, releasing it and the lights come back on ... weird! o_O I carefully loosened and removed the decor board which houses the control panel and nothing seemed to be untoward on the back of the panel and whilst it was out I again carefully pushed the panel 'flat' which made the lights go out.

I'm assuming the warping has made the panel go 'daft' so I'll have to see about getting it replaced under warranty ... I just wondered if anyone else has had an issue with a warped control panel?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. StephandJohn

StephandJohn Funster

Ratings:
    +644
    Hope someone comes along to answer this soon as it seems so weird that I feel I NEED to know the answer!
    Steph

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +4,358
    What's behind the panel Mel - Have you removed it. I suspect you'll have already disconnected the EHU but there appears to be a build up of heat or a short circuit at the back of the panel. That said, it would take some heat to warp a plastic mount.

Have you looked at the Electroblok and the fuses to check for discrepancies.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +4,358
    Were you able to check the voltages on the system. I wonder if the charger has gone tits-up. Keep an eye on the leisure batteries too. I would disconnect everything until we can establish a potential problem.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. sonny

sonny Funster

Ratings:
    +647
    I have similar but working OK with mine I think it is a tight fit and possibly expanded to make it warp . A Sargent panel.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +4,358
    That makes a lot of sense. (y)

7. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +32,852
    No heat at all, I suspect the plastic used is too thin and, although I haven't noticed it being a tight fit in the aperture, it is only clipped in with 4 plastic clips they don't hold it really, really tight anyway, probably why its been able to warp ... can't beat good old fashions screwed in panels!

It was too dark to start messing about today so will look at it tomorrow - hubby's going to make check everything works okay to make sure nothing else has gone 'daft' - the lights were working okay so hopefully we've just got a bit of warping which has 'corrupted' the board. At least it'll be easy to remove and put a new one in, negating the need to visit our dealer.

8. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +32,852
    Which way has your's warped Sonny? On ours the right and left outer edges are sitting slightly proud from the surround.

9. sonny

sonny Funster

Ratings:
    +647
    Can't see any fixing screws ,but as you look at it, above the door it's the left side 20190303_101305.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sonny

sonny Funster

Ratings:
    +647
    coaster is behind fascia. 20190303_102740.jpg 20190303_101305.jpg

11. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +32,852
    This is an image of what our control panel looks like taken off the web, it's the 4 little lights on the right that come on all the time when on hook-up, with hook-up off the top one goes off so it appears to be showing the state of charge of the hab battery correctly. Pushing the right top corner flush makes the lights go out ... I checked the connectors on the back and they are tight so somehow the warping must be making a contact on the back of the board to make it think the top right battery check button is being pressed.

[​IMG]

12. sonny

sonny Funster

Ratings:
    +647
    Good luck

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Sandancers

Sandancers Funster

Ratings:
    +4,218
    Is there a printed circuit board attached to the back to your facia? It the facia is warping then it could warp the pcb which might put stress on a soldered joint. It happens sometimes on ours so I just press it in the opposite direction and its OK. One day I'll look for the iffy joint.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  14. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +32,852
    Yes there is, hence why I think the warping has upset it, despite my pressing it 'flat' as soon as I let go the lights all just come on again, if I was out of warranty I'd find a way to hold it firmly 'flat' to sort it, but as it's still covered I might as well get it replaced. (y)

15. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +6,362
    Could it be being left freezing cold whilst the van is not used?

16. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +32,852
    Don't see why it would be affected by the cold - if that was the case I would have expected it to start playing up when we had the cold spell earlier this year which it didn't ... maybe it's got a delayed reaction and hasn't forgiven us for coming back from sunny Spain in January so is sulking! :D

It could be that the daft plastic clips that hold it in are not as strong as they were and thus have allowed the panel to flex and/or if it was made with a 'fault' in the plastic used which had a slight curve in it and over time it has gradually pulled itself into a slightly convex shape ... just thinking out loud.

I didn't get chance to have a shuftie today as I've been wallpapering the lounge so might have a look in a day or two when I've finished decorating in there.

17. Landy Andy

Landy Andy Funster

Ratings:
    +544
    It wouldn’t be the cold, it would more likely warp in the heat if there was any, due to expansion. How tight is the plastic at the ends, where it buts up to the wood units?

18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,204
    My thoughts too, get your soldering iron our Mel.

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +9,128
    not warped, self modified

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +32,852
    That's one piece of kit I've never ever used, not sure I'd want to practice on my control panel. :eek:

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1