Globecar 12v Hab wiring amp rating? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Does anyone happen to know how many amps it's safe to take from a socket taken from one of the pre-installed in-cupboard junction boxes?

I'm thinking of buying a plug in Inverter and want to be sure it doesn't set fire to the Van :eek:

Thanks (y) :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if wired correctly it would keep blowing the fuses. secondary sockets are generally rated under 10amps and even then the wiring is too thin to supply that full current more than a few minutes

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi @Vanman I couldn't tell you the ampage but on our Campscout the wiring in the junction box on the drivers side is a lot thicker than on the passenger side.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Does anyone happen to know how many amps it's safe to take from a socket taken from one of the pre-installed in-cupboard junction boxes?

I'm thinking of buying a plug in Inverter and want to be sure it doesn't set fire to the Van :eek:

Thanks (y) :)
if it supplies the lighting not very many amps, but an inverter needs to be wired close to the battery anyway so forget it.
To be honest, and Im not being rude. If you need to ask this question you need to consider if you are competent to do the job as inverters draw a high current and if wired incorrectly can be dangerous.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I am not sure what "job" you refer to. I am talking about a portable, plug in Invertor.
If that's the usual 75W (with a following wind) inverter it will draw 6-7A from the socket.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am not sure what "job" you refer to. I am talking about a portable, plug in Invertor.
Which can't be plugged into a junction box.
It either needs permanent hard wiring or crocodile clips straight to the battery or plugging into an auxiliary 12v socket, same as a cig lighter socket but rated at 15amps.
Hab wiring could be anywhere from 5a to 30a depending what the circuit powers.
What's the output wattage of the inverter.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
always better to hard wire the invertor to the leisure battery and run 240 to where you want it We had a 100amp one which wouldnt work with the cig plug only with the croc leads direct to battery

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Which can't be plugged into a junction box.
It either needs permanent hard wiring or crocodile clips straight to the battery or plugging into an auxiliary 12v socket, same as a cig lighter socket but rated at 15amps.
Hab wiring could be anywhere from 5a to 30a depending what the circuit powers.
What's the output wattage of the inverter.

Thanks @pappajohn . I enquired about a fixed Inverter in a separate thread where the majority of replies shepherded me towards having 12v points fitted, buying transformers for my stuff and maybe having a plug-in inverter for special occasions. As I have no hab 12v sockets I was asking here what amps I could have from the limits of the built in Globecar wiring, so that I could ask an installer for the optimum 12v socket to be fitted and only then buy an Inverter that was compatible with the rest of the wiring.

The offending laptop is 65w and I was possibly thinking of an Inverter of about 150w

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back