LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
don't think the Nith Hotel would be interested.. when we were there the hotel carpark and the quay was ram packed with cars

as for 'strongly worded signs' .. in many languages.. won't make a jot of difference.. FLTs don't read signs or even if they do, don't care if they break rules ,as said in the original post .. Language is not the barrier to obeying simple rules.. it's their attitude that needs to be adjusted.. with a baseball bat

While I might think you may be right in much that you say..Without multi language signs we aren't giving non english speaking foreigners a chance are we? Ok visual signs almost everyone understands but we have came across a lot of french for example that cant string two words of english together let alone rules for parking.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Don't think that is quite true, I was one of the contributors to the Whitby thread and others along the same lines and I don't think anyone wanted free parking , just to be allowed to park and sleep was the thing we wanted no problem paying for it.[/QUO

I was generalising with my comment. I probably didn't make it clear. Last time I wrote about wild camping on the forum, I had some pretty nasty replies from some funsters who I "ignored" afterwards.
Phil

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Sounds a lot of hassle ,that’s only going to get worse ? If mh owners don’t respect the environment locals . I feel sorry for locals that’s why I rather head for the highlands less people less chance of upsetting the locals less Motorhomes especially out of season

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
that’s why I rather head for the highlands less people less chance of upsetting the locals less Motorhomes especially out of season

.. not so quiet these days... the 'success' (if it can be called that, I don't personally) of the NC500 has changed all that.. and not for the better. Locals are fed up with the increase in traffic, litter and camper vans parking wherever they like.

yes, you can still find quite places and routes.. but if you want them to stay quiet I suggest you don't tell anyone.. being listed on Facebook has been the death knell for many wild spots .. not just Glencaple

L

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
.. not so quiet these days... the 'success' (if it can be called that, I don't personally) of the NC500 has changed all that.. and not for the better. Locals are fed up with the increase in traffic, litter and camper vans parking wherever they like.

yes, you can still find quite places and routes.. but if you want them to stay quiet I suggest you don't tell anyone.. being listed on Facebook has been the death knell for many wild spots .. not just Glencaple

L
I totally agreed , when wilding you got to take a lot of things into consideration , last time I went to Durness area they were constructing a horrendous zip wire tourist attraction ! So plenty of screams and shouting now as well as the vista being changed , due to health problems haven’t been up there this year as anyone seen it in action and as it blended into the scenery ? It’s a difficult one as long as the money stays in the community

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

L
facebook is the death knell of many things:(

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We visited Glencapple in June. We arrived at around 5:00pm and there were 3 vans there already.

By 10:00pm, there were 13 vans parked up!

If it could be implemented, a height barrier that closes when it has counted 5 vans in on the entrance and a standard barrier on the exit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One option might be to close the facility in summer, I suspect they will not mind the extra visitors so much in winter

Glencaple community council cannot do that.. , it is not an aire or motorhome faculty.. they have no legal jurisdiction to close , open or make any changes or post notices.. as I posted earlier, I wrote to Dumfries council for clarification.. " the car park is a Council asset and is managed and maintained by them... " The local Community Council has erected the signs but they have no legal backing"

as I said.
Dumfries Council are the only people who have any legal authority to do anything.. If enough locals complain to them and they will have to take action.. and it may result in having a TRO banning motorhomes altogether..

Reactions: GJH

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not read the whole thread...but the area was a possible stop over for me last night on a journey north..
I gave it a miss as i rembered id seen a bit disquiet on here about it , and found somewhere else (y)

MalcLaurie

Free Member
Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Hello again - we've had had a wee "wild camp" in Peebles car park - on there on our tod as far as I could see. They do have a proper car park and rules and dont seem to mind wildcamping.

As the community association (not a council, another story, let's just say none of us wanted to sign a 50 page liability document as a "council") - it's really only a very very few of us making grunting noises in the dark.

With the exception of the place being intentionally listed on Britstops (before my time) there was never any intention to have it listed widely anywhere, or at all. It's just kind of happened.

It's still very welcoming, I mean, anybody coming here wouldn't have any villagers with pitchforks or anything. Usually extremely quiet and lovely. The problem is when there are 22 vans (I counted 22 one night) taking over the entire area, with not a single space left anywhere for anybody else.

I would quite confidently say neither of the two restaurants/pub are really bothered at all about motorhome trade. Or if they are, not very much. They want the space for their car customers, of which there are loads.

I'm going to bash on with some nice leaflets - welcoming, yet giving people the lay of the land - respect the guidelines, or the facility will be lost. I wonder if I am farting in a storm though, and if my wee voice, as a fellow vanner AND a local will have any difference at all actually on the ground when 22 more vans arrive and knock me down, waving leaflets at them....

thanks for feedback :) Malc

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
A less drastic measure could be to close it to motorhomes during the peak holiday season from mid/late July through August this would also coincide with the continental influx. Before anyone jumps in to attack me, I have been privileged to use Glencaple for 7 years and would hate to see it closed completely to those of us who respect and appreciate the efforts of the local community who are to be applauded for their efforts.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wonder if I am farting in a storm

bluntly ... yes, I think so.. once the word got out that there was free parking on a nice overnight parking location, it was inevitable , that's the power of the internet.. nothing you have done or could do will make a blind bit of difference.. you (the local community) don't have any powers to enforce any rules you think would control it..

IMV it's late to do anything, only course of action is to complain to Dumfries Council who may use a hammer to crack a nut..

When I lived in West Kilbride, my hometown, there were problems with motorhomes camping on the carparks on the A78 .. the council used a hammer..

the result https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.6...Gp1twZdzNev_sFoHKyMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

shame really.. and I feel for the well meaning villagers.. and for the law abiding motorhomers who will eventually lose this facility.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We were there earlier this year, we were told about by a guy in the carpark at Gretna.
There was about 10 vans there already when we arrived at 5.30. We squeezed in between two German vans (traveling independently).
they had found it on Park4Night I think. There was a sign against the river but hidden by the parked vans - and a donation box which most people seem to be using. By 8.00 it was jammed with many vans parking in the marked out NO PARKING spots.

Who collects the donations?

It not a fantastic stop over but handy if you are travelling further west
It seemed to be sadly abused ---- and I suspect I had one of my Fiat wheel trims nicked that night

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What about a system of permit parking during the day? Only 5 motorhome permits issued at any one time (each valid for a single day, maximum 12 hours - possibly stamped by a local business to validate it) and any motorhome in a car space (or spaces) would be issued a charge notice (as you get in supermarket car parks if you overstay). But if it is a council car park "proper" fines could be issued for not parking in accordance with the rules.

I have not used the facility but would hate to see it lose due to the bad behaviour of a few.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What about a system of permit parking during the day? Only 5 motorhome permits issued at any one time (each valid for a single day, maximum 12 hours - possibly stamped by a local business to validate it) and any motorhome in a car space (or spaces) would be issued a charge notice (as you get in supermarket car parks if you overstay). But if it is a council car park "proper" fines could be issued for not parking in accordance with the rules.

I have not used the facility but would hate to see it lose due to the bad behaviour of a few.
Good idea but would it be affordable?
As @scotjimland has pointed out, only D&G Council can put regulations in place and enforce them.
In addition to drawing up and implementing a new TRO the council would have to employ 24 hour enforcement methods (e.g. barriers, cameras, enforcement officers) all of which would come at a cost. That cost would have to be recouped from users or from local taxpayers.
If demand wasn't reduced (perhaps because the location was still listed on web sites whose managers don't care about accuracy) where would the non-accommodated motorhomes end up? Potentially the problem would be shifted elsewhere.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Good idea but would it be affordable?
As @scotjimland has pointed out, only D&G Council can put regulations in place and enforce them.
In addition to drawing up and implementing a new TRO the council would have to employ 24 hour enforcement methods (e.g. barriers, cameras, enforcement officers) all of which would come at a cost. That cost would have to be recouped from users or from local taxpayers.
If demand wasn't reduced (perhaps because the location was still listed on web sites whose managers don't care about accuracy) where would the non-accommodated motorhomes end up? Potentially the problem would be shifted elsewhere.

Yes the affordability and moving the issue elsewhere are problems.

I am not sure if there is a standard TRO that can be customised or if each is drawn up anew.

Could a local person (or people) be volunteer enforcement officers? Or maybe get a parking company to do the whole thing for a couple of years as an experiment. Once the bad parking is known to have consequences (fines etc) then the situation should improve for local residents.

As I have said I have not used that areas parking so don't know how big the alternative aire is.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes the affordability and moving the issue elsewhere are problems.

I am not sure if there is a standard TRO that can be customised or if each is drawn up anew.

Could a local person (or people) be volunteer enforcement officers? Or maybe get a parking company to do the whole thing for a couple of years as an experiment. Once the bad parking is known to have consequences (fines etc) then the situation should improve for local residents.

As I have said I have not used that areas parking so don't know how big the alternative aire is.
There are certainly similarities between some parking TROs but I have no idea who originated them. TROs for camping probably need to be specific to the location; the concurrent planning consent certainly would be.
Volunteers would most likely be cheaper but availability would probably depend on whether anyone was willing to put themselves into potentially confrontational situations - and whether anyone could be found to cover late evening and early morning (to stop the people mentioned in other posts who arrive late/leave early to try to circumvent regulations).
I don't know what the cost of a private company vs in house would be but they wouldn't come cheap, especially covering unsocial hours.
The aim would have to be to reduce demand to match availability - but would that generate sufficient revenue to cover costs? If not it would be difficult to justify/sustain.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's a pity but just 30 miles the other side of Dumfries is the Galloway Forest Park with more places to park up, discreetly, than you could imagine. No facilities whatsoever but great TV reception, dark skies, deer, eagles, otters etc.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It's a pity but just 30 miles the other side of Dumfries is the Galloway Forest Park with more places to park up, discreetly, than you could imagine. No facilities whatsoever but great TV reception, dark skies, deer, eagles, otters etc.
That won't last long now ! Everyman and his dog will be there looking for a spot now . As has been said its the power of the internet . How many times have we seen on sites on the net a question about where to park for free ? Go , find your own wee discreet spot , leave nothing and dont' broadcast it. That's just my thoughts .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That won't last long now ! Everyman and his dog will be there looking for a spot now . As has been said its the power of the internet . How many times have we seen on sites on the net a question about where to park for free ? Go , find your own wee discreet spot , leave nothing and dont' broadcast it. That's just my thoughts .
Just what I was thinking.
Won't last long now that Search for Sites is listing Forestry Commission car parks where camping is prohibited.
Next thing you know barriers will prevent daytime parking for large vehicles :(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

as said.. you want to keep it quiet or it will be overrun ... and as mentioned in this thread.. Listed in Campercontact and no doubt other apps .. writing is on the wall:(

and https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/galloway-forest-park-wild-camping.159092/#post-2471817
Not according to this :

Wild camping
Camping wild in the forest can be fun if you're hardy. Please choose a campsite that’s well away from buildings, roads and our recreation facilities and do your best to leave no trace of your stay. This type of camping is lightweight and done in small numbers, for only two or three nights in a place. Overnight parking of cars and campervans is not permitted.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
as said.. you want to keep it quiet or it will be overrun ... and as mentioned in this thread.. Listed in Campercontact and no doubt other apps .. writing is on the wall:(

and https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/galloway-forest-park-wild-camping.159092/#post-2471817
Not according to this :

Wild camping
Camping wild in the forest can be fun if you're hardy. Please choose a campsite that’s well away from buildings, roads and our recreation facilities and do your best to leave no trace of your stay. This type of camping is lightweight and done in small numbers, for only two or three nights in a place. Overnight parking of cars and campervans is not permitted.
Barriers have already been installed by Forestry Commission Scotland elsewhere so the precedent is set. See Forest barriers to stop overnight stays. The effect is that people in motorhomes (even cars with roof racks) can't even use the car parks during the day - all due to the selfishness others.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
They are the rules, nobody patrols the Park and we've been using it for years, but, it too will become forbidden if things carry on as they are.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They are the rules, nobody patrols the Park and we've been using it for years, but, it too will become forbidden if things carry on as they are.
The reasons they don't patrol are that it costs money they would rather spend elsewhere and they rely on people having enough respect for others to conform to what land owners decide are the rules for their land.
They will tolerate lack of such respect until it becomes too much of a problem (e.g. as in Whitby, discussed recently) and will then take more radical action. All too often that affects not just the abusers but also people who respect the rules.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

but is already forbidden.. and as pointed out, if the word is spread, which it has been, (I just checked Campercontact and SFS) continual misuse will result in action being taken..

what you were doing for years did no harm.. but once it becomes common knowledge , as happened at Glencaple, that is not in anyones interest.. least of all your own..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Not according to this :

Wild camping
so can anyone tell me what that means?(n) in the same line it says you can camp for 3 nights but you cant park overnight(n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
so can anyone tell me what that means?(n) in the same line it says you can camp for 3 nights but you cant park overnight(n)
Camping for 2 or 3 nights is in a tent... not in a vehicle ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back